1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

fuel filter 99 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:13 PM
japa11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel filter 99 ranger

Hi i have a 1999 ranger xlt with 82000 mile.
i dont think my fuel filter has ever been changed.
just wanted to know how easy it is to do and do i
need a fuel pressure relieve gauge to do it my self.

Thanks japa11

Old 02-13-2004, 04:22 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
No, you don't need a guage, but you will neeed a tool to release the lines. You can either unplug the fuel pump relay and start the motor or you could trip the inertia switch. Either one will shut off the pump and cause it to "run out of gas". The tool can be had for under ten bucks at most parts stores. Just don't be directly under the filter when pulling the lines as they will retain a small amount of pressure and will lose a little gas when removed.

Old 03-02-2004, 11:15 PM
usedcrab
New User
I just changed the fuel filter in my 99 3.0 L ranger reg. cab, it wasn't hard, but finding the right fuel filter was a pain. Since i have an odd ball engine 3.0 L v6 flex fuel. , i had to look a little bit for the filter. Other than that it wasn't too hard, its found under/in the frame rail under the area of the drivers side door . just remember to have an oil pan to catch some gas if ya have to . good luck

Old 03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
77redf250
Senior User
get a good line release tool. mine has 2 sizes looks kind of like scissors i think it's make by KD tools works great. i changed one today took about 2 minutes. heres my method
1.pop the filter out of it's retainer
2. pop up clips on line, spray wd-40 in fittings
3. insert tool and push towards line while pushing line towards filter
4. wiggle line side to side while pulling away from filter should pop off with minimal effort.
make sure you don't put the new filter on backwards the flat side points towards the engine. good luck. don't get one of those cheap plastic disconect tools or you might be fighting with it for a while and the metal one with 4 sizes probably won't fit.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
1998 Ranger Fuel Filter Replacement

Since I recently changed the fuel filter on my '98, I'm going to add my two cents to this sticky thread. The relevant info has already been covered very well, so Ill just pass along my own experience.

The aformentioned "special tool" looks like this and can be found for under 10 bucks at most autoparts stores:

[IMG]images/fuelpic1.jpg[/IMG]

My '98 also has the metal safety clips that go over the fittings which must be removed before the tool can be used on the filter stems/fittings. These safety clips pulled right off.

Then for each side, I enclosed the 5/16" end of the tool around the stem of the filter where the line connects, making sure the "duck bill" part of the tool was facing away from the filter and is beginning to slip under the lip of the fitting. Then I used a large screwdriver to help pry the tool (and the fitting) away from (and eventually off) the filter while pulling the line away from the filter at the same time. The idea is to try and get the tool underneath the fitting sufficiently enough to help lift the fitting over the small ridge on the filter stem. A solid tug, along with the leverage provided by the screwdriver on the tool, easily did the trick.

This procedure worked very well for me.

As noted, don't forget to relieve the fuel pressure before you go at the filter, and make sure you have a rag ready since the filter and lines will still have a little bit of fuel left over in them.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:34 PM
synner
New User
Smile

as per the previous posts, I did my fuel filter with the cheap plastic clip tool, it worked but it was a bear to get it to undo the clip on the line. the metal tools look to be far superior.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:11 PM
irazu
Freshman User
You can either unplug the fuel pump relay and start the motor or you could trip the inertia switch
Um, err....Where do I find these on a 99 4.0L?

Old 08-04-2004, 07:07 AM
jrpatterson
New User
The fuel pump relay is under the hood in a large black plastic rectangular box under the hood beside the brake master cylinder on the left hand size. Just open it up and then look in your owners manual under Fuse or Power Distribution Panel in the index to tell you which relay to pull out. The relay is about two inches square and you will just pull up on it to remove it (similar to a fuse)

If you want to trip the inertia switch it is against the firewall on the passenger side With a red button on top of the small metal box, can't miss it.

Old 08-28-2004, 07:49 PM
irazu
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jrpatterson
The fuel pump relay is under the hood in a large black plastic rectangular box under the hood beside the brake master cylinder on the left hand size. Just open it up and then look in your owners manual under Fuse or Power Distribution Panel in the index to tell you which relay to pull out. The relay is about two inches square and you will just pull up on it to remove it (similar to a fuse)

If you want to trip the inertia switch it is against the firewall on the passenger side With a red button on top of the small metal box, can't miss it.
ok so I have all the bits to do the job and i found the inertia switch. Do i trip the switch and then just replace the filter or do I need to crank the engine? How does the switch re-set itself after I am done?

Old 08-28-2004, 11:48 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Irazu, when I did mine last year, I unplugged the inertia switch, cranked the engine, it ran briefly then stopped.
This relieves the fuel line pressure.

I then loosened the gas cap so pressure buildup from temerature in the tank, wouldn't want to push fuel out the tank end of the line at the filter.

As has been stated, be shure you install the filter correctly. My MotorCraft filter had a flow arrow painted on it, (point goes toward the engine), in case you forget which way the flanges were oriented when you removed the old one.

Don't forget to tighten the gas cap & plug the inerita switch back it, after your finished.

Have a pan & towells handy, as you'll likely spill a little fuel that's in the filter & for gosh sakes don't smoke or allow anyone around who is, while your doing this.

Also be prepaired to use some of your strongest verbal persuasion, when working those pesky filter release springs.

Don't know the verbal praise made mine loosen up any easier, but it shure made me feel better, cause sometimes things just need a good ole CUSSIN!!!!!

Old 10-18-2004, 09:14 PM
Sapper2ID
New User
Fuel Filter Location

Where is this elusive thing? I found what looks like a small one just before the fuel rail but i'm guessing this is a check valve. I read all posts about pressure relief and getting the specialty tool.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:55 PM
synner
New User
fuel filter is on the inside of the frame rail, directly under the driver's region, it's about the size of a mini soda pop can. hope that helps.

Old 10-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Sapper2ID
New User
Thanks, Nothing to it from here.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Markepling
New User
Exclamation 2003 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 Fuel Filter

I changed my fuel filter two weeks ago @ 60,000 mi. - Second filter replacement
which is recommended every 30,000 mi.
All messages appearing on this subject seem to apply to my experiences.
Add one more task(precaution) in replacing fuel filter and that is to disconnect your battery after you have starved the engine of fuel thereby relieving fuel pressure on the fuel line - all before you disconnect fuel lines and remove
old filter.

I found my fuel pump circuit emergency shut-off switch beneath the glove
compartment on the passenger side of the truck cab (owner's manual will
diagram this location) and this is where you can disconnect power to the fuel pump before filter change-out.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
B3NT
New User
WARNING!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

WARNING!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

I fubar'ed my fuel line trying to replace the filter. I have a 99 Ranger 3.0l FFV. First of all, it takes a different filter than many other Rangers... if the cross reference book at the local 'Fleet and Fleet' store doesn't list the exact right filter, move on to someplace that can assure you the right filter.

Now, the fuel line from the filter rearward is a cloth covered plastic tube or some such, covered with a protective plastic lomb. DO NOT 'TWIST' ON THE HOSE OR YOU CAN BREAK IT! I would say twisting it back and forth would be ok, but not 'spinning' it. I ended up towing my truck to the mechanic, tail between legs. Fortunately, they were able to repair it without dropping the tank and replacing the whole fuel line tank-to-filter. He did say the fuel filter was tough to get off, even with the right tools.