Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

SynLube+Ranger=?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SynLube+Ranger=?

I have seen a few members of this forum post that they use SynLube and that it is superior to any other lubricant. I would like to hear everyone's opinion of SynLube and any experiences you may have had with it. I don't want to use a product if it isn't any better than regular oil but 5x as much. Any replys appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Lone_Ranger01; 02-11-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I'd have to say i hate it, not cause i've used it and i think it stinks, but because dino oil is cheap, and it takes me like 15 min to change it, so its no big deal to me. Also even if synlube doesnt break down, i just dont feel comfortable leaving somthing in my engine for that long. dino oil give me some mental comfort, lol

Old 02-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
I went to their website and read just about all of their articles. They get in to pretty deep detail about how oil really works. It seems to me like it would be a good product however I don't know if they just made up a bunch of stuff and put it on their web site. If anyone knows if this company is credible or not please let me know. I would definetely use their product if what they say is true. Thanks.

Last edited by Lone_Ranger01; 02-12-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:41 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Miracles in a can have been around forever. IMHO, if they were of any proven benefit, auto manufactures would be specifying it for their products OEM. But since I've never seen any demonstrated benefits, I stick to normal oil. Prolly the best thing you can do if you want to join the high mileage club is to change oil and filter every 3,000 miles. In other words, clean oil is the best oil.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: SynLube+Ranger=?

Originally posted by Lone_Ranger01
I have seen a few members of this forum post that they use SynLube and that it is superior to any other lubricant. I would like to hear everyone's opinion of SynLube and any experiences you may have had with it. I don't want to use a product if it isn't any better than regular oil but 5x as much. Any replys appreciated. Thanks
Try your question in the FTE Oil & Lube Forum. A lot of people who post in that forum are very knowledgeable about the many different motor oils that are available today.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the oil & lube forum, there's a post about Royal Purple used in an industrial setting. Documented proof in the records of the user.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:45 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Thumbs up SynLube

I'm probably the one who has made the majority of comments about SynLube so I've gotten a lot of feedback about why there is such resistance to their products. Generally, the comments run along these lines:
  • If this stuff is so good why doesn't Ford supply with their cars and trucks? There's a good reason for this. Ford's in the business of selling cars and trucks. Not to badmouth the company but their interests part with ours in regard to vehicle longevity. They don't want people driving 300K miles on a Ranger, not in a saturated market. They want you in the showroom every 3-5 years. Ford estimates the vehicle life of the Ranger at 70K miles and they specify lubricants that are in keeping with that estimate.
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Many state that the dino oil has served them well over the years and see no need to change. They point with pride to having well over 200K miles on their engines. Neither I nor the company have any doubt of this. The question is whether this is necessary. Even if one extends the change interval to 5-7.5K miles is it necessary? Though SynLube is a tiny company, their ability to produce a technologically superior product is very clear. It's not rocket science anymore anyway. If you want to build an oil that's practically indestructible, you can buy the components right off the shelf. Unfortunately, the traditional business model depends upon frequent consumption of an adequate product rather than the one-time sale of a superior product. And never mind the environmental impact of all that waste oil. Reycling? The vast majority of oil that's "recycled" is merely disposed of safely, not reused. Doubt it? Would you buy a recycled oil for your Ranger or would you buy virgin oil that costs less?
  • How can anything last that long? I want clean oil in my engine! Year and years of indoctrination by oil marketers has had its effect. They have been able to convince most people that they are smart for buying a technologically obsolete product and doing it over and over again. They tell us about dirt and thermal break-down when with a proper lubricant, those problems would not rear their ugly heads in the first place. It works year in and year out. It may be surprising to some but Mobil 1, the king of the synthetics never once produced a profit for Mobil. Not in the auto or the aviation industry where it was heavily promoted.
  • This is too good to be true, it's snakeoil! If you judge this product by the standards of dino oil, it surely would seem so but that's a mistake. Obviously when there's so many tricksters out there, the reaction is perfectly understandable. In contrast to highly reactive dino oil, however, SynLube is almost entirely inert and this is the ultimate secret of SynLube. It shrugs off heat levels that would will turn dino oil into a thick, useless goo. Again, there's no rocket science involved, just good chemistry.
I had 18K on the oil when I had a Focus ZX3, I had 11K on a Focus SVT before trading them in. In each case, the cars produced consistantly superior MPG figures and ran great. Oil consumption was almost non-existant: 9.5 ounces over 18K and 5 ounces over 11K respectively or over 60K per quart. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the cars long enough to produce more impressive stats but I know that it works. Of course, I have added SynLube to the front axle (gear oil), transfer case (gear oil), and engine with excellent results to my new Ranger and since I'll have this truck for a long time, I'll be able to document SynLube performance even more.

SynLube makes products worthy of serious consideration. I don't get a cent for saying this stuff. It is what I believe.

Last edited by Houckster; 02-13-2004 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:23 AM
fastpakr
Cross-Country
Ford estimates the vehicle life of the Ranger at 70K miles and they specify lubricants that are in keeping with that estimate.
What is your source for this?

Old 02-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Moved from the Ranger forum.

Old 02-13-2004, 08:24 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
You forgot "It's ridiculously expensive!" Houckster. IMO, there are many fine conventional products that will give you years and years of excellent service at a fraction of the cost of SynLube. Why waste the money?

Old 02-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Lightbulb A waster ... NOT!!!

You forgot "It's ridiculously expensive!" Houckster. IMO, there are many fine conventional products that will give you years and years of excellent service at a fraction of the cost of SynLube. Why waste the money?
Somehow I doubt you have an open mind in this matter and are just waiting to slam whatever I say but I will try. I believe you have followed other posts I've had about SynLube and were equally negative at that time.

The service life of this lubricant is 3000 engine hours, 150K miles or 10 years. When I worked this out against the traditional 3K oil replacement interval, the total cost of care was at usually a couple hundred dollars in SynLube's favor.

Let's tip the table in your favor and say that you spend $1.25 per quart of oil and $4 per filter. During 100K miles, that will work out to $338.25. This assumes that you will do the change yourself and that you drive 20K per year and this driving takes 600 hours per year, a not unreasonable assumption for a heavy driver.

In comparison, SynLube will sell you 5 quarts of oil plus a filter that will last the entire 5 years. Assuming your engine is in good condition, you will probably need only about a quart of replacement oil during that time. With magnets included, you would be spending right at $200 approximately since with a conversion to SynLube, they sell a kit at 15% off stated prices. For example a quart of the add oil is $32 and at 85% list, that would be $27.20. Under this scenario, there is $138 in savings plus the time saved eliminating 32 oil changes. There will also be some improvement in gas mileage. Given the advantage of this lubricant both in out of pocket savings and time plus the beneficial impact to the environment of not producing over 150 quarts of waste oil, I cannot consider the money spend on SynLube to be a waste.

FASTPKR: I have a friend who has a number of friends in the auto industry and deals with Ford people frequently and he told me about this. His information has always been very good and I passed it on. This estimate does not mean that the vehicle will self-destruct at 70K miles but that is the life expectancy that Ford certifies either to DOT or EPA. I'm not sure which. I am trying to come up with a link to this information. He further advised that the reduction in vehicle life was associated with the recommendations for thinner viscosity oils.

Last edited by Houckster; 02-13-2004 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:29 AM
fastpakr
Cross-Country
Thumbs down

Wow, that really sounds like reliable info, doesn't it? A friend with friends heard that Ford plans their trucks around a 70k mile life? Amazing.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Houckster
Senior User
Exclamation It's your right . . .

I have passed this information on in good faith. I acknowledge the possibility that it might be untrue in part or in whole although I continue to believe it is true. If you believe it to be spurious information, you may express that opinion and please feel free to correct it, unabusively, if possible.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:43 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
I think if you were clearer in stating that your posts are your OPINIONS rather than facts, I think you'd take a lot less heat Houckster.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
fastpakr
Cross-Country
I acknowledge the possibility that it might be untrue in part or in whole although I continue to believe it is true.
You seem to acknowledge it now, but you have posted that on two websites that I know of as if it were a documented fact, when by your own admission (after the fact) it is nothing more than what you heard from a friend who heard it elsewhere.

Quick Reply: SynLube+Ranger=?