Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Senior User

FRECSF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where is Ford in the drag HP battle

Where does ford lie in the big HP world like Top Fuel or Funny Car. Looks like to me they are right there in the funny car wins with John Force.

What size engine does he run and how much HP compared to the other makers? I have tried to research the engines in his mustangs but I can't find any references to it.

In my opinion, this demostrates the real potential of an automaker to produce street HP. If they do it at that level, then street HP should not be a problem, right?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:03 PM
Senior User

Ev2Demon is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
All Fuel (Nitro) motors in the NHRA are currently based on the Chrysler 426 Hemi design, Forces included. They are bored and stroked to displace 500 cubic inches. They burn up to 90% nitro and make 7000-8000 horsepower.

The only thing Ford about Forces cars are the little stickers on the carbon fiber body.

Last edited by EV2DEMON; 01-30-2004 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Posting Guru

V10KLZZ71S is starting off with a positive reputation.
JOHN FORCE and FORD are developing a new FORD top fuel engine
Old 01-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Senior User

I heard that too. It sounds like it won't be on the track this season though.

I'm curious to see what combustion chamber they use. Shotgun?
Old 01-31-2004, 12:15 AM
Elder User

MEPR is starting off with a positive reputation.
i realy dont see where drag racing has any bearing on a company. The parts are soo far off from anything that will ever be mass produced and 90% of the stuff comes from a third party manufacturer anyway. About the only direct crosover from racing to production is the Wenkle Rotor in the RX7s and 8s
Old 01-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Posting Guru

bigsnag is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
The heads on those cars are very loosely based on the old Hemi design. They are actually probably closer to resembling the old Boss heads than the Hemi heads. The basic design is there, but the valve sizes, angles, and especially the combustion chamber are totally different.

1975 F150 Sold
built 460 with C6
Old 01-31-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior User

FRECSF is starting off with a positive reputation.
So what you are saying is the fords are all running the chrysler motors? What is up with that? If they are running chryslers then why is it in a ford. From the post it also sounds like the top fuel engines are also chrysler hemi's?

How did this come about? Why doesn't GM and Ford engines compete at this level?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior User

Hillbillywagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
They are niether ford, dodge, or chevy by my understanding. But totaly custom all alluminum blocks designed loosly on the old hemi pattern. Their are no cooling passages in these blocks just one big chunk of machined aluminum, any cooling passages would take strength away and running the fuel them do that would be a possibly deadly combonation.

Weather say dodge ford or chevy on the side it dosent mean much. Not one single part on these cars is the same as what you get in your avearge mustang cavilier or any other production car or truck.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:16 PM
Senior User

Actually, the combustion chambers are nearly identical to the 426 Hemi heads. I'm 99% sure the valve angles are identical to the 426 as well. The crank shafts will interchange as well, even though the fuel motors have longer strokes. I know a few people who have run used Fuel cranks in 426 blocks.

Here is a pic of a Brad Anderson Aluminum Top Fuel cylinder head. If you compare the chambers to that of a 426 Hemi, you will see they are nearly, if not completely, identical aside from the dual plugs. The Boss heads hade quench areas on the sides of the chambers, unlike these which are completely open just like a 426.
Click the image to open in full size.

It is true that the blocks and heads are all aftermarket parts made from solid aluminum though.

Last edited by EV2DEMON; 01-31-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:16 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition

Tags
ev2demon