1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with parts on a superlift 6" setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:01 PM
jeb79
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with parts on a superlift 6" setup

Well, I have decided on a superlift 6" suspension lift, I am going to order it within the next month or so. I am going to wait for spring to install, once all the salt is off the roads and I can put my new rims and tires on.

Anyways, the kit uses 6" superide select series springs up front and 5" blocks in the rear, bilstein 5100's all the way around. I'm going to keep my AR Baja rims and upgrade to 35x12.5 BFG ATs.

My question is, aside from the basic kit, are any of the optional parts "must have's?" By options I mean adjustable track bar, steering stabilizer, etc. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-26-2004, 03:36 PM
McCrusty
Freshman User
The "basic kit" includes extended brake lines, right?

Are the 5" blocks tapered to help pinion angle...or do they include a carrier bearing shim kit?

With 35s, the steering stabilizer might be nice.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
You wont need brake lines for a 6" lift, the stock lines are plenty long enough when you move the bracket.
If the truck in your sig is the one getting lifted, you wont need carrier shims.
Your already going with a good shock so no worries there.

The kit should contain all you need, I would suggest getting longer sway bar links rather than using the extended brackets that come with the kit.
And like McCrusty said, a stabilizer wouldn't hurt, but isnt mandatory.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:06 PM
jeb79
Junior User
Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeti, I'm glad you responed because if I recall, you run some superlift parts and you seem to really know your lifts. I will definately look into your suggestions.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:24 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Might want to check the price difference between the block kit you're getting and one with rear springs. Lately they have been real close in price and having a new rear spring would probably be better than stacking blocks. I've done it on my 96 but the truck did get axle wrap quite a bit.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
www.ntwonline has the SL 6" for ......$759.95 Part# SSSD-6,
I don't know how much they want with rear springs.
That includes shocks, but I would sell them off on ebay asap or use them for door stops.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:14 AM
jeb79
Junior User
Yeah, I am going to order them from ntw but the kit I am going to get replaces the superlift shocks with bilstein 5100's and is more expensive.

I would definately be interested in using rear springs rather than blocks because my truck sits almost level now. I was worried that I would get nose-high if I went with 6 in the front and 5 in the rear. I will have to look into the rear springs RRMike, I kind of just assumed that they would be considerably more expensive. Do you guys know anything about those rear springs? How about retaining payload and towing capacity?

Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Jeb.. i cant rember if ya told us if ya had the gas or diesel.. the springs come in either gas or diesel they say but really they only sell the gas springs to the V8 guys, the V10 springs are the same ones as the diesel.. anyway if you have the V10 you can count on the fact you will get an additional inch out of your front springs... I can give you an exact lift on V10 superlift selects after sat. as im installing a set.. anyway if you have the V10 and get 6" springs youll get 7" of lift... then yes you will set nose high even with addition of 5" blocks... so id look into rear springs.. most the companies rear springs ride harder than stock because they are giving you lift and they are trying to keep your same payload.. So superlifts rear springs will haul the same weight but unloaded the ride will be stiffer than stock.... and all the lift companies sell you rear springs that actually are 2" lower than advertised.. they do this to level the truck... they think they are helping you out.. personally i like the stock raked look.... Well i learned all this the hard way and have switched front springs and swiched rear spring combinations mulitiple times.
JJ

Old 01-27-2004, 10:26 AM
jeb79
Junior User
Hey, thanks jetjock. sorry about not having the info in my signature, i just changed it the other day and forgot to put in what motor i have. anyways, i have the 5.4. Are you serious about the rear springs being two inches less than advertised? Well, this just got more complicated. I'm like you, I would actually like my truck to ride a couple inches higher in the rear. Glad I got a few months before spring to do more research. No wonder there is like 10,000 lift questions on this forum

Old 01-27-2004, 10:54 AM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
jeb ill tell what i ended up with the first time i put on a lift I ordered Skjackers standard 6" kit with front and rear springs.. and fabtech 3.5" hangars and a 4" block... that should of got me close to level.. after install the front was lifted 10.5".. and the back was 2" lower.. to get it level i had to stack a 5.5" block and the stock 2" block.(and that got it level, not racked like it was stock) .. i did not keep that setup for long.. but theres a couple specific numbers for you.. so the front was the 6" spring(plus 1" for V10 vs diesel) plus 3.5" fabtech hangar got the 10.5"... the back had a 2" stock block, plus 5.5" block, plus 6" spring.. to get it level.. it would of needed another 1.5" to be same as stock.. so as far as i can figure i only got about 3.5-4" lift from the skyjacker rear spring..

Old 01-27-2004, 01:33 PM
jeb79
Junior User
alright jetjock, thanks for the heads up. oh yeah..your truck looks sweet. I would love to go that big but I have to use my tools daily and it would just be too much trouble accessing them, plus i would probably loose my girlfriend, she thinks i'm a big enough hick as it is

Old 01-27-2004, 02:04 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
"hick".. hey i dont have a ranch hand bumper do I???

kidding.. i take no offense in the term Hick.. i tell all my friends im a hick....

Old 01-27-2004, 04:24 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a hick!

Anyway, if you order your lift with rear springs instead of the block stating that it's a 250 it should come with about a 5" rear spring to make it level. If you want to go back to the dragster look (Sorry I gotta take a jab at Jet here he knows I love his truck) you can put the taller F350 blocks in. I would check first and see if they do in fact have different part numbers for the rear 250 and 350 spring but I think they did when I ordered my lift. I still kick myself for not ordering the 250 spring because I have a 350 and it would have been a little higher and I could have put a hanger on the front and had a cheap 10"

If you wanna go that route you might look at ordering the diesel springs as it will make your truck taller in the front than the gas springs. One thing I would look at is getting an adjustable track bar if you do that though because the drop track bar bracket is set for a specific amount of lift and you will have more.

Have a nice day.

Old 01-27-2004, 04:53 PM
jetjock16
Posting Guru
Dragster huh? RR yeah that the look i like .Hey thats the way the come from Ford! . anyway though i wouldnt recommend asking for the V10/diesel springs to get more lift in the V8.. id just get the 8" V8 springs if that were the case.... Due to the fact the springs progression, etc... would work better if used on the right application... IE... youd probably get the same amount of lift,(within a half inch) from the diesel 6" springs on the 5.4, as you would the 8" springs for the 5.4.. but youd probably have a better ride with the 8" springs for the 5.4 cause that was the weight they were designed for... this is the way it should be...... Who knows in reality the 8" 5.4L springs may be the same part # as the 6" Diesel springs.. i would not put it past some companies, but Superlift is the one in question and i think they put some effort into how there springs ride with the select series front springs.. you can read about them on there website.
JJ

Old 01-27-2004, 06:30 PM
jeb79
Junior User
decisions....decisions....the install will probably be easier than choosing the parts, and certainly less time consuming!!! hey thanks again guys for the suggestions.