Think it's safe to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Caplax40
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think it's safe to do this?

I'm going to go full into bolt-ons with my 3.0. I'm looking at K&N FIPK, JBA Headers, full cat-back exhaust, and chip. All for around 1100 plus a little labor for the headers and exhaust. Think it's safe and wise for the 3.0 or am I just looking at problems down the road once these mods are tacked on? Also if anyone has this setup what kind of power gains did you see?

Old 01-19-2004, 04:03 PM
agelder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are always consequences of modding. Now, what you are suggesting is pretty mild, so I would say it would get noisier, and you may have to watch the aftermarket exhaust if it's not stainless. Also, go the extra step and get the headers coated. Lastly, make sure you research the market's offering of chips before you get it, and elict response from those who have already tried them. I say go for it though

Old 01-19-2004, 08:57 PM
Hammy211
Senior User
Forget all that and spend a bit more on the new Whipple supercharger.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you test drive your Ranger before you bought it?? If it wasn't fast enough, why didn't you buy something already designed and built to go faster?????? That would have been cheaper, and more reliable......

Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 AM
agelder
Senior User
C'mon Bob, half the fun is modding

Old 01-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Caplax40
Elder User
I don't know of many "fast" 4x4' compact trucks! When I bought the truck the 4.0liter wasn't really affordable at the time, so that wasn't even an option. And if I did want a fast economical truck I would simply buy a Dakota R/T. But I need the utility of the 4WD and the ranger has it.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Caplax40
I don't know of many "fast" 4x4' compact trucks! When I bought the truck the 4.0liter wasn't really affordable at the time, so that wasn't even an option. And if I did want a fast economical truck I would simply buy a Dakota R/T. But I need the utility of the 4WD and the ranger has it.
What??????? I just checked the Kelly Blue Book difference between the 3.0L V-6 and the 4.0L V-6 (on a 1998 4WD) and the difference is $165. And you are going to put $1100 into mods on the 3.0L ??????

Some things just don't make sense to me!!!!!!

Last edited by Bob Ayers; 01-20-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Caplax40
Elder User
Guess I should clarify. If it's going to be a 4.0 it's going to be a 2001 or higher with the newer SOHC engine. And I would like to get a newer truck. But haven't found many that I like. The only other Ranger I'd consider to purchase would have to be a 2001 or higher with a 5pd manual, 4.0SOHC engine, 4x4, four doors, off-road package, and power everything, in black. And for a reasonable price (under 15k or 16k). But those are a tough find.

Last edited by Caplax40; 01-20-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:23 AM
silvapain
Senior User
I would have to say that if you got a supercharger, you would have to get headers, catback, and a chip anyway, as well as new injectors. So it would not be cost-effective. You won't do any damage at all to the engine with those mods. They don't really change any of the parameters of the engine, just help it breathe better. The chip will actually increase the lifespan of the clutch (if it's an auto).

Old 01-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Hammy211
Senior User
Originally posted by silvapain
I would have to say that if you got a supercharger, you would have to get headers, catback, and a chip anyway, as well as new injectors. So it would not be cost-effective. You won't do any damage at all to the engine with those mods. They don't really change any of the parameters of the engine, just help it breathe better. The chip will actually increase the lifespan of the clutch (if it's an auto).
That was just my suggestion for him to do the supercharger instead. You don't have to do anything other than the whipple supercharger. The Whipple kit includes a computer reflash, new injectors, new throttle body, new maf, redesigned air intake. Other than that it has been tested on completely stock trucks. One that was tested with headers only saw a 1hp gain. Only thing is it run $2600 by itself.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:32 AM
low-side
Senior User
To get back to your question, this sounds like 10-20hp depending on the chip. Your big improvement will be throttle response and economy as long as it's not a chip designed for a 160 thermostat (those kill mileage).

Old 02-21-2004, 08:52 PM
silvapain
Senior User
I have to agree with low-side. A chip alone will give you about a 10-20 Hp gain. The headers and cat-back will add to that a little, too. The K&N will probably not help much for HP gains, but is necessary to realize the air flow gains of headers and a cat-back.

Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 PM
agelder
Senior User
Originally posted by Hammy211
That was just my suggestion for him to do the supercharger instead. You don't have to do anything other than the whipple supercharger. The Whipple kit includes a computer reflash, new injectors, new throttle body, new maf, redesigned air intake. Other than that it has been tested on completely stock trucks. One that was tested with headers only saw a 1hp gain. Only thing is it run $2600 by itself.
OK, I have some experience with supercharged motors, and I will disagree with the statement that you don't have to do anything else. Yes, it is a complete kit, and a darn good one at that. BUT, without headers/exhaust, you will get boost stacking. Particularly on an engine not designed to flow a whole lot of air. With a proper header/high flow cat/exhaust, you can properly exhaust the air, and run a lower risk of experiencing damaging knock. The key is, with headers, you will likely see a drop in boost, because you will not be getting boost stacking. If I were to put headers on my supercharged car, I could drop a pulley size and gain an extra 15hp, in addition to what the headers provide.