General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: Are you more inclined to trust someone who
Attends church regularly
40.00%
Rarely or never attends church
60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Church Attendance

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 09:22 AM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Church Attendance

Would you be more inclined to trust:
a. Someone who attends church regularly
b. Someone who rarely or never attends church.

Please elaborate on your answer.

Last edited by jpsartre12; 01-06-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:38 AM
99 ranger bob
Elder User
to me chuch has nothing to do with it. to me i find alot of people who run to church are hypocrites ( NOT ALL BUT ALOT OF THEM) they run to church weekly and pray then theyre the first ones talkin about you or people or doin everything the church says ya shouldnt. i guess ya figure that running to church absolves ya and gets ya a seat in heaven. to me religion is fromt he heart not confined to a building.
before i deal with someone i tend to try to judge their character by their actions and manner to make my decision on how much to trust them

Old 01-06-2004, 09:42 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
I actually play in the band at church, and I lead the youth band. I'm at church no average 4 times/week.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
Unless I have questions about the church, and even then it would depend on what kind of questions, I prefer to put my trust in someone who lives in a world of science and logic than someone who looks to divine inspiration and faith.

Waxy

Old 01-06-2004, 10:08 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
Going to church does not make one more trustworthy, or a better person.

I judge people on a person to person basis.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 AM
mountravlr
Senior User
When one realizes that the church is made up of converted sinners, Acts 3:19, Rom. 3:23, as all of us are, judgments of individual character should be made on a case-by-case basis.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:35 AM
fisher of men
New User
one on one relationship with Jesus

I have a one on one Relationship with Jesus Christ!
I talk with him every meal and almost every night before I go to bed. He has been my Back Bone most of my life. I do not ask for much from him, but have been given everything I need.
I am very thankful to him on every thing that he gives me. I stay as honest as I can and try to keep my word. I am fair and straight forward. He is what makes me the Man I am.
I have wanted a 1/2 ton ford Truck for about a year. I have never asked him for one but he knows that could use one. Saturday he gave be one thru a neighbor that no longer wanted it in her driveway. It was no cost to me.
1978 Ford F150 Ranger XLT Super Cab, no broken or cracked glass. It needs a new 2 Barrel Carb, Master cylinder, Bushings, Cab is blue every thing in Cab is original and no know problems.

I go to church often Non Denominational Church with Band and Contempory music. the Key to church is it not just 2 hours on Sunday. It is 24/7 365 every were you are.

Thank you and God Bless
William

Old 01-06-2004, 10:46 AM
jpsartre12
Posting Guru
Originally posted by 99 ranger bob
to me chuch has nothing to do with it. to me i find alot of people who run to church are hypocrites ( NOT ALL BUT ALOT OF THEM) they run to church weekly and pray then theyre the first ones talkin about you or people or doin everything the church says ya shouldnt. i guess ya figure that running to church absolves ya and gets ya a seat in heaven. to me religion is fromt he heart not confined to a building.
before i deal with someone i tend to try to judge their character by their actions and manner to make my decision on how much to trust them
I tried to word it so as to NOT give any wiggle room. Obviously, I didn't succeed. Maybe if I wrote:

If you knew NOTHING about two people other than the fact that one went to church regularly and one didn't and each told you something different, which would you be more inclined to believe was telling the truth?
I agree with all of the assertions that you would judge somebody on lots of characteristics, but if the only piece of information that you knew about two people was church attendance and they gave you opposing answers, which one would you be inclined to trust more and why?

Old 01-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Max_'77F250
Senior User
Re: one on one relationship with Jesus

Originally posted by fisher of men
I have a one on one Relationship with Jesus Christ!
I talk with him every meal and almost every night before I go to bed. He has been my Back Bone most of my life. I do not ask for much from him, but have been given everything I need.
I am very thankful to him on every thing that he gives me. I stay as honest as I can and try to keep my word. I am fair and straight forward. He is what makes me the Man I am.
I have wanted a 1/2 ton ford Truck for about a year. I have never asked him for one but he knows that could use one. Saturday he gave be one thru a neighbor that no longer wanted it in her driveway. It was no cost to me.
1978 Ford F150 Ranger XLT Super Cab, no broken or cracked glass. It needs a new 2 Barrel Carb, Master cylinder, Bushings, Cab is blue every thing in Cab is original and no know problems.

I go to church often Non Denominational Church with Band and Contempory music. the Key to church is it not just 2 hours on Sunday. It is 24/7 365 every were you are.

Thank you and God Bless
William
I don't goto church or believe in god, but I was given a car also( a 2000 nissan altima ) and I am fair and straightforward also.

Religon, church and athiests are 3 different things. Neither makes anyone of us any better than the other. It's all how you act toward your friends, family, and neighbors. I have met people who goto church every day and are the most hypocritical people on the planet and I have met some that are very nice and are great friends of mine. I don't think you can group everyone into the "good" pile because they goto church, nor can you group the athiests into the "bad" pile because they don't believe. Each group has their bad apples, but each group also has some good ones

Fisher - congrats on the truck. I had the chance to buy a 76 f250 for $400 but it was a POS. Is the body still good on yours or is it rusted through?

Old 01-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jpsartre12
I tried to word it so as to NOT give any wiggle room. Obviously, I didn't succeed. Maybe if I wrote:

If you knew NOTHING about two people other than the fact that one went to church regularly and one didn't and each told you something different, which would you be more inclined to believe was telling the truth?
I agree with all of the assertions that you would judge somebody on lots of characteristics, but if the only piece of information that you knew about two people was church attendance and they gave you opposing answers, which one would you be inclined to trust more and why?

jp, that's a hard one. It would really depend on the question, wouldn't it? Obviouisly, if you asked, "Would chewing tobacco in church be a bad thing?" or "Did Jesus Christ do away with the Sabboth?", then one would tend to lean towards the church-goer, since it is religious-based. On the other hand, if you asked, "What sized catfish do I need to buy and how many to stock my 8 acre pond?", then what difference would it make?

Could you give an example of a question you would pose that would fit this scenario?

Old 01-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
Originally posted by Big Orn
Could you give an example of a question you would pose that would fit this scenario?
And answer the question yourself.

Waxy

Old 01-06-2004, 11:29 AM
camo4stealth
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe in a creator, BUT-- Religion is a crutch for the weak. I have no problem with god, it's just his fan club I can do without.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:06 PM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
People that I would consider "religious" seem to have an agenda that focuses on their religion and church. Their actions can be justified by saying, "God told/meant/wanted me to do that."

Non-religious people seem to have their actions dictated more by real-world concerns.

I'll take the secular over the religious.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:39 PM
marc9000
Senior User
I would trust a church-goer, SOMEWHAT, over a non church-goer. I have seen some non church-goers that I would not hesitate to trust with my life, and some church-goers that were absolute crooks. But the reason I remember them so well is because they were the exception to the rule.

Most churches teach trust and truth, and the secular world teaches "me first". I believe studies have shown that the truth is getting less and less important in the secular world as time goes by. The TRUTH of the importance of loving our neighbor as ourselves, as doing unto others as we would have them do unto us, doesn't change.

It's really sweet to live a life where some things don't change.

marcrr

Old 01-06-2004, 02:32 PM
fisher_of_man
Posting Guru
I don't think church-goer/ non-church goer is fair grounds to base trust on. (hoping not to step on any toes here....here I go)

I have met many people both church and nonj-church, that I would trust, likewise there are many from both groups that I wouldn't trust. My question is this: What are the requirements for attending church? there are none. just because someone attends, it doesn't mean there is any religious connection, desire to follow God, or morality to that person. People attend church for a number of reasons ....it shouldn't be that way, but there are people who attend church because: they are lonely, they are looking for a date, they are bored, they want to be a part of something, they always have, their family wants them to, to try and win over someone else....some have even done so in order to accomplish bad/evil things (ie: rape, theft, abuse, etc). That being said just on the basis of whether or not they go to church shouldnt' have a bearing on your trust. There are plenty of people in the pews that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw them...and that saddens me, I hate to say it, but it is true....Likewise, I know several people in the pews that I could trust my life and everything else with.

I think you have to go further than churchgoer/non-church goer....look at the peron on an individual basis.

Quick Reply: Church Attendance