1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP !!!!! 2001 Ford Superduty Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 04:41 PM
dwheelington
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP !!!!! 2001 Ford Superduty Brake Problem

Ok here is my problem. Back in the summer on my company truck a 2001 Ford Superduty with appox 70000 miles on it the driverside front wheel bearing went out, to the point that the wheel was locking up and it was undrivable. My question is that since this repair. A new rotor was install on the driveside front as well as new brake pads and bearings ect. Since that time I had to make a hard panic stop. The passenger side tire locked up and left a blackmark appox 35 too 40 feet long the driver side wheel did not appear to brake properly would that cause the passenger side tire to lock up prematurely. The reason Im asking is I got in trouble for wearing a flat spot on the tire. The tire had to be replaced. Now the 2001 Ford Superduty driver side front brakes have a problem the inside pad has worn into the rotor which was replaced in the summer when the wheel bearing went out. The truck now has appox 80000 miles on it. The outside pad appears to be ok just the inside pad on the driver side is bad. My second question is could a bad DOT brake hose or bad caliper on the Ford in the summer have caused the wheel bearing to go out because of the excessive heat from the brake caliper not releasing. Cause a premature locking of the brakes. And wear a brake on the inside to the rotor and the outside brake pad be ok. This has been a very terrible chain of events and Im trying to get to a definitive cause of the problem. Because I think Im going to get in trouble for the brake issue.

Everyones expertise in this area would be greatly appreciated.

The more input I have the better.

And it may save my Job.

Thank you So very much. DWheelington

Old 12-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: HELP !!!!! 2001 Ford Superduty Brake Problem

Originally posted by dwheelington
Ok here is my problem.

1. Back in the summer on my company truck a 2001 Ford Superduty with appox 70000 miles on it the driverside front wheel bearing went out,

2. A new rotor was install on the driveside front as well as new brake pads and bearings ect.

3. Since that time I had to make a hard panic stop. The passenger side tire locked up...

4. the driver side wheel did not appear to brake properly

5. would that cause the passenger side tire to lock up prematurely?

6. The reason Im asking is I got in trouble for wearing a flat spot on the tire. The tire had to be replaced.

7. Now driver side front brakes have a problem. ...The truck now has appox 80000 miles on it. The outside pad appears to be ok just the inside pad on the driver side is bad.

8. My second question is could a bad DOT brake hose or bad caliper on the Ford in the summer have caused the wheel bearing to go out because of the excessive heat from the brake caliper not releasing.

Okay...I had to break down your post a bit. I hope what I did above represents you problem accurately.

In reference to the question in #5. YES.

#6. You gotta be kidding! They are are gonna make YOU pay for the tire!?

#7. There's your problem.

#8. I'm sure it isn't a "bad" part just a improperly servied one. I would remove the caliper and clean and lube the slides and pistons.

I'm sure the excessive heat, if there was any, didn't help.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:41 PM
Brian Dearborn
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a caliper piston sticking on the drives side. When the bearing went, it probably created excessive heat on that caliper. They should have replaced or rebuilt it along with the pads and rotor. The reason the inner pad is wearing on the drivers side is probably because the piston is sticking and not retracting properly.

The piston should go back into the bore smoothly without excessive force. Any time you have that much heat in the brakes, the calipers should be serviced. It could be the flex line also, what can happen is the inner lining of the hose can become cracked and can act like a check valve, not allowing brake fluid to flow back to the master. But in a truck that new, I highly doubt that is the problem.

This is all basic stuff to a person knowledgeble in brake service. It isnt your fault they didnt do the work properly in the first place.

Last edited by Brian Dearborn; 12-08-2003 at 01:46 PM.