Adding sub woofer to stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Roadhog123
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding sub woofer to stock HU

Hey,
I just upgraded my factory speakers in my 99 super duty ext cab with 4 boston acoustics and it sounds great. Just would like a little more bass. I'm sticking with the factory HU. Plenty of sound for me.

Whats the easiest way to add an amp and a couple of small subs? I'm going to mount the subs and amp in my center console, just a couple of small ones, 4 inch probably. Like I said, don't want to shake the earth...just hear a little more thump.

I'm guessing there is no low level outputs on the back of this HU, so how do I splice in to get the needed audio for the sub amp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2003, 10:15 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
the easiest way is to get an amp with speaker level inputs, and connect to your speaker wires

I don't believe they make 4" subs. the smallest I have seen are 6.5", and even those are kinda rare

I'm sure someone makes a custom box for your truck, that holds 8" or 10" sub/s

Old 11-14-2003, 11:09 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
Try the Bazooka 6" tube, it might fit under the rear bench, but not sure. There is also one with a built in amp, for less wiring.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:47 PM
acerockola77
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The easiest way is to get a new H/U.

I'd go ahead and go with an 8''. Rockford Fosgate makes a nice line of 8 inchers.

Old 11-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Roadhog123
Junior User
I could probably get six inchers in the console no problem. My goal here is a stealth install. No boxes, no new HU. With the speaker level inputs, am I borrowing power from the front or rear speakers to fuel the subs? Wouldn't this create a balance problem? Not balance left/right...just balance.

What about these Line Out Convertors I've been reading about? Do they also steal power from front or rear speakers causing the same balance problem? If they don't, will the sub work properly with a low level input? In other words, will the volume of the sub bass go up and down with the main volume adjustments?

Old 11-15-2003, 05:17 PM
mctmct
Freshman User
(copy of reply to "Whole system..."

You know, depending on what you want out of it, theremay be some simple solutions. The first question would be: What do you listen to?
If you want a bumper, then someone else who is experienced with that type of system will be better qualified to offer you advice; but if you're a rocker (or a roller), you can satisfy your needs with a lot less emphasis on big $ subs.

I initially looked ino them because in a regular cab with bucket seats all the way back and fully reclined you can fit bazooka tubes on the floor behind the seats; you can use a single dual voice coil model, or two single coil models. They come in amplified and non-amplified versions. They may not do for the big bump, but if you don't intend to share your bass with everyone in a two block radius- they can add a real nice bottom to your boogie.

One word of advice: if you do check them out- fight your instincts, and turn them down; once they blend in, you might like what you hear. I experimented more than a little and can tell you that so many things effect their performance (just like any other sub), and they only sounded good when installed per instructions- i.e. placed behind the seat, pointing at the corner about 4 " away from it, and strapped down tight using the two (included)locking straps and holders/tube feet which you screw down into the sheet metal.

If you check them out, let me know what you think; I'm kinda curious what different people think of how they sound.

mct

Old 11-15-2003, 10:34 PM
Roadhog123
Junior User
Okay, Let me make this perfectly clear....I'm over 40, I like decent music but not the kind that you hear from other cars at the stop sign. I just want a little extra bass, that's all. A couple of $30 subs and a cheap amp are good. I'm only gonna spend around $75 for this whole thing. I just need advice on how to hook up a couple of cheap subs to the factory HU. That's it. I know a lot of you guys are serious audiophiles like I used to be in my younger, better hearing days but these days it's mostly just grampa stuff for me. But Grampa likes to rock now and again, so a little extra bass would be cool..... Is cool still cool? How bout rad? Still not there?....let me dig deep...I want slight bashizel in my jamizel,...dazz it. Yo reconizel dog? Now what about those hookup quenezels? Do I invest in a LOC, lose two rear speaks to the sub wooferizel or what? Anyone out there on my same wavelength? What wires do I cut and what are my options? Anyone?

Old 11-15-2003, 11:49 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
look into an amp with speaker level inputs
the amount of power they take from your speakers is negligible, and its less to wire without the LOC
I know what you're sayin, don't want to BOOM
just feel kick drums and bass guitars a little
I'd look into the bazookas, building a box isn't as easy as it looks unless you're a cabinetmaker
I think an 8" bazooka 'd do you real nice
by the time you get done screwin around building a box, the bazooka's prolly cheaper

Old 11-16-2003, 09:33 AM
Roadhog123
Junior User
Originally posted by drunkenmonk
look into an amp with speaker level inputs
the amount of power they take from your speakers is negligible

Aahh, thank you drunkenmonk! A piece of info for digestion!

This being the case, I'll hook into the rear speakers for the supply. Now, one more thing, It's a 99 f250 superduty ext cab, anyone know which color wires are for the rear speaks and the polarity thereof?

Old 11-16-2003, 03:19 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
I'd hook into which ever speakers are physically smaller, that way when you fade from front to back, the tone will be more balanced

Old 11-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Roadhog123
Junior User
Actually they are all the same size. I'll just set the fade where I get a good balance and leave it at that. Thanks drunkenmonk!

Now how about some wire info? Anyone know the color codes? Somewhere online I can go?
Thanks

Old 11-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Roadhog123
Junior User
i

Last edited by Roadhog123; 11-16-2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Roadhog123
Junior User
OK,
A little search led me to installdr.com. They have charts for all automakers factory stereo wiring. Although they said the ford wires are kind of screwy, I think it's enough to get me going. Great site BTW.

I'll post an update when its in. Thanks for all the help.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:38 PM
mctmct
Freshman User
WARNING ! Hazardous Bashizel Levels.

If you haven't made your purchases yet, here's a "Grandpappy Special" item of interest :
If you live near a Fry's Electronics store, you can pick up a 6" Bazooka bass tube on clearance sale for $49.

MCT

P.S. And please be careful! The Stereo General's office has identified recreational Bashizel boosting as having a high probability of being habit forming, especially among males over 40 with a prior history of Jamizel abuse.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:07 PM
drunkenmonk
Posting Guru
if you don't live near Fry's their website is www.outpost.com
they don't always list car audio stuff on the web though