Want better exhaust, Borla or MagnaFlow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want better exhaust, Borla or MagnaFlow?

I have a '98 F250LD XLT 4x4 RC long bed 5.4L, E4OD, 3.73LS. 86K miles, stock. I want a louder exhaust that may help mpg/towing. I'm looking for sound and looks mostly. I'd prefer dual mufflers, split rear exit. I'm interested in suggestions. I've heard enough complaints about Gibson and Flowmaster. I don't want to spend unwisely but I'm not interested in changing exhaust several times. I noticed there isn't much info on Borla and they don't list F250LD or F150 RC long bed. I wonder if F150 EC SB will work? Also, some manuf. don't suggest using split rear on 4x4 because of spare tire location. I'd like a complete catback system with tips. Normally, my local exhaust shop uses cheaper pipes but they really don't rust out that often. I'd like a deep tone, rich rumble at idle and roar at full throttle, yet be able to listen to my stereo and have conversations in the truck. I've listened to sound clips but they either use race cars as demonstrators, or aren't complimented by my computer speakers. I'm not a kid, just a man, and won't race. I just believe that a truck should sound powerful if it can back it up.

Old 10-26-2003, 04:20 PM
umdstang
Senior User
MY friend has a borla cat back on his 03 150 5.4 ec sb it is single in dual out. All stanless, includes tips. Didnt have to remove the spare tire. Borla doesnt offer dual muffelers in there kit. It is a nice system, quality. I ordered a single universal muffler for my old bronco 92. it was not that loud but had a nice sound, it was a single in/out that replaced the stock muffler gave a great hp improvement getting on the highway.

IT does have a nice deep sound at idle. It is not loud at idle but when you accelerate it roars nice. Sounds at crusing are barley noticable.

I like the system but i like mine with a louder idle. The kit was expensive however. he ordered it through the internet at about 600+ and he had it installed and welded for another 75 by a local muffler shop. Borla is expensive but is stainless and would buy it if i had the money.

My 2cents.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
MAGNIFLOW. sounds great, will give you the most flow of most mufflers. not a lot of noise in the cab, but sounds good out side. lifetime warrany. i love mine and have put one on every truck i have had. love them recomend them to everyone.!

Old 10-27-2003, 06:48 PM
FarmApe
Senior User
Hey Texan,
Do you recommend the oval or the round, or the round resonator?
What is the difference, if any?
I need a Stainless system and I was lookin at the Magnaflows or Dynomax. The Magnaflows are real resonably priced
Thanks

Old 10-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
i have used the oval on all my trucks, and love it. but i have only used the round on a 4 cyl. and for a 4 banger it sounded good. i would go with oval, just what i was told my the exhust shop, sorry i can't tell you exaclty why they said that. but i there is no difference in flow between the oval and round. i have heard that magniflow flows alot better than dynomax, because of magniflows straight through design, no retrictions, or baffles.

just a note... if you want it to be loud you need the shortest muffler. the longer the muffler the quieter. i have a 12" on my suburban and a 14" on my 77 f150. there is a difference.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:48 AM
DShoop
New User
I put a Split rear Borla in my 5.4 2001 supercrew. Sounds great, and didn't impact spare at all. Nice throaty sound on idle and it really opens up under throttle. Seemed to make a lot of difference in power. Put a superchip and K@N filter in with the exhaust and now can blow away alot of sport cars on the freeway. Have flowmasters in my mustang, but perfer the sound of the Borla.

Old 11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Thanks. I started thinking no one actually had a Borla. I've heard them. They are not quiet as somebody else said but not too loud. I did not get a reply from e-mail at Borla Tech so I am leaning more to the MagnaFlow (they did reply and more than once) if I can find a distributor. I may just order online and have it shipped. As with Borla I'll have to purchase kit for EC SB and adapt to my RC LB. They are cheaper too.

Old 11-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Sanddoc
Freshman User
check this site out
www.broaderperformance.com/page4.html
you might be surprised
Best

Old 11-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
You are right. I was surprised. MagnaFlow wasn't included. Nor was Borla XR-1, which according to some tests, produce more hp. than straights/no mufflers. XR-1 aren't street legal/emission compliant though and quite loud. I can not base my selection solely on air flow. Exhaust should be matched to handle the airfow of the engine though so that the exhaust isn't restrictive. If I knew the airflow of the heads/intake/valves etc., I would select something that flowed at least as much. Also, to promote low end torque, most trucks wouldn't use the least restrictive muffler. No data was given on the types of vehicles tested. If the same vehicle/engine/tailpipes were used then the results would be unbiased. If not, the test is inconclusive. Price, durability, availability for my application, ease of installation also have to be considered into my purchase decision along with noise levels and performance gains. I appreciate your reply and information.

Last edited by Tim Ervin; 11-02-2003 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Sanddoc
Freshman User
Tim alot of interesting points you bring up.
I did some research on the exhaust pipes, and
found for a motor with a hp rating up to
400, a 2.5" is the best dia. Taking into
account that the headers themselfs reduce from
a 3" to 2.5" give some back prssure...
I did see some reports suggeting thaat
some mufflers out flow a stirght pipe, that seems
a little hard to beleave since even the
Max flow is a stright thru design with
only a ceramic coated fiber for sound
insulation. I might agree that the
Dr. Gas or equivalent will draw a little more
hp out of the engine....
And price is a big equation....
Best

Old 11-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
I ordered a MagnaFow 15749. 2 1/2 " duals after the muffler (5"x8"x18") with 3" tips for $460.25 + $62.50 shipping (Fedex 3 day delivery). I bought from Danny at (714)637-1357 and http://www.getperformanceparts.com/. Other info at http://www.magnaflow.com/01home.htm or Ellis Llloyd at Elloyd@Magnaflow.com. I'll put it on early next week. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:03 AM
linx
Freshman User
Wow..that Hooker Max Flow on that comparison chart is out the roof. Anyone ever used one and have personal experience with it?

Old 11-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Tim Ervin
Senior User
Don't think all of Hooker exhaust is that much better than others, just look back at the chart and other exhaust systems are comparable to Hookers other products. Supposedly the best performing muffler is Borla XR1 which is for off road or racing only. It produces More HP than straights/no mufflers but was not on the chart. I have not looked at specs or Hookers website but I would not be surprised if the muffler you refer to is not street legal. Some of my trucks would not pass an emissions check but we are not required to test where I live (yet). I'm just not interested in modifying this truck beyond what I need or the legal limits. Like I said before my MagnaFlow catback will be here Monday and installed ASAP after that. Thanks for everyone's input.