6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Ford vs Chev vs Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 09:17 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford vs Chev vs Dodge

I read all over this page "who's the best" "Who's the fastest" Yadda Yadda Yadda. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase a new diesel for my up coming retirement. Here's a site I think everybody should visit. http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...out/page1.html hope the link works. If not copy and paste it in your address line.
Now does the "new Ford 6.0 stand up? Will it last? That's what I need to know as when I buy my next Ford it will be to last for 20 years. The 2 I have now are older than the hills and I still love em

Old 10-20-2003, 12:14 PM
thenrich
Senior User
Yup that's a good article. But it might be a little too soon to buy the 6.0 for dependability. If your a Ford guy go for 7.3 if you can still find 1

Old 10-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Hoss Got a Cummins
Senior User
Sounds like you've already got your mind set on another Ford....so I don't really understand what you're asking here.

Do you get a diesel?? I'd say yes. Do you get Ford, Chevy or Dodge? Well, that's entirely up to you but based on what you said it sounds like you're leaning towards Ford. I'm happy with my Cummins....but I'm sure I'd be just as happy in a Ford (once all the bugs were worked out). If I wanted a gasser I'd get Chevy.

Anyway....I'm still not real sure what you're asking here.

Old 10-20-2003, 09:44 PM
murraydav
Senior User
I was just showing the article

With all the arguing going on about who's top dog, its nice to have an article that put them all to the test in an even and well done test. I get tired of reading Popular Mechanics where they "go head to head" using trucks that are worlds apart. But then I've heard the the Peterson Magazine family is tied to the General's butt somehow????? I am partial to Fords as my dad sold them for 25 years. He sold lots. Holds a Canadian record for selling 11 units in a day, (he did that twice). Fords put the food on our table, so I owe them some respect. And they have never let me down yet. Just scarry to lay out 60,000 for a full load 4x4, and have the motor prove to be the next worst thing.

The article points to the fact that the 6.0 is the hands down winner in each and every test in the bone stock wars. Maybe I should wait a year. If it was so darn good, why was the 7.3 replaced???? Was it to keep up the #1 which the Dmax won over 3 years ago??? Any thoughts

Old 10-20-2003, 11:15 PM
mbnv992
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I guess the 7.3L was replaced to keep up with the other big 2. (Cummings, and Duracrap). This article was last year (last thanksgiving I think) I was hoping that they will do another truck test this year. Be interesting to see the results again.
If your interested in debates on the big 3 trucks, try the Ford Vs. Forum.

Old 10-21-2003, 07:32 AM
thenrich
Senior User
Yup that article pointed to the Ford being the clear winner. Also who actually owns the magazine is in question. But I'd think that bone stock that the Ford should win. When Ford does get the problems worked out, which I'm sure they will it'll be a good motor. Why don't you at least wait until the new 250 body style comes out. I had to make the same decsion as you but couldn't risk the depenability issues that the new motor was having and Fords reluctance to do anything about it

mbnv992 I wouldn't call the duramax/Allison combo A peice of crap. I've had nothing but dependable service from both of mine. I have several friends with the newer Dodges that seem very pleased also ....

Once again 'm not trying to say which is better because I'm not really brand loyal I did test drive the 6.0 and the particular 1 I drove seemed fine. But it's like you said your kinda taking your chances with $40k+ vehicle. This is no differant then when the dmax's came out. If I'd been looking in 2000 for a new desiel I'd be driving around in a Ford 7.3 litre. Hope this help -tried to be as open-minded as I could

LS 2003 Chevy Silverado ext Cab 4x4
Juice w/Attitude
Banks exhaust
Lund bug-shield
Lund sunvisor
westin tubes and rails
Bilstein shocks
Rhino Lining
'04 Jayco 298 bhs (fer da young'ens)

Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 AM
Hoss Got a Cummins
Senior User
Good post Thenrich.

I'd like to see them run the test again now that the Dodge is available with an auto tranny. I think the results would probably be pretty close to the same...but I'm just curious.

Personally, I think all three trucks are pretty impressive and once all the bugs on the 6.0L are worked out I'd feel pretty comfortable driving any of them....although I really like my Cummins engine.

Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 AM
murraydav
Senior User
Also the Dodge is now greatly improved

I don't know how Dodge did it. Well it was the new "rail induction", but 85% quieter and more power, now thats something to think about. However the body is still a Dodge, and the comfort of the Chev or comfort and strength of the Ford is not there. Up in Canada a Dodge in the oil fields or railroads is still somewhat unheard of. Thakes a well made truck to take the pounding, and the Dodge does not holdup. Great powertrains, good for many many miles. Perfectly fine if your trading or releasing every 2 years, or if you never plan to leave the interstates and paved streets. Hell some of our secondary Saskatchewan roads, even paved, could eat a Toyota in a week. And I'm buying mine for 20 years of retirement.