Computer Chips & Tuners  

Ken,new superchip shut off engine while driving in traffic.?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 07:56 PM
forddytube
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ken,new superchip shut off engine while driving in traffic.?????????????????

Ken, i just got my superchip from you and it worked ok for about a week then this evening in rush hour traffic the engine just died with the check engine light on,fortunately i managed to fight the truck to ram into the curb to avoid an accident.
the truck started up right away.
i need to know whats up with that bro!!!!!!!!!!!
firstly after installing the chip i could'nt get the computer to fit back in place and there was absolutely now place to use those tinny zip ties when i found out that the bracket couldn't be put back to hold the computer. i used cardbord to hold the computer in placeand tape with some cardbord to hold the chip.
the chip sticks out so far there is no way in heaven one could fit the computer and new chip back without the chip sticking out to far.without the chip computer just slides right in.
the truck is sitll running only not like it was before it shutdown on me.
GET BACK TO ME BRO.!!!!
CALL ME PLEASE!!!505-751-0656. IAN

Last edited by forddytube; 09-12-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:19 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The chip came loose. There's not much that can be done about the fit with a Superchips, some Ford computers have the connector so far out that it causes the chip to stick out quite a bit. If there is a connection loss on even 1 pin for 1 millisecond it'll reboot the computer. Basically, in a situation where the fit is tight you'll need to find a good way to secure the chip. Plastic ties really tight will do the trick every time.

You're going to need to reset the computer as well. Disconnect the battery and turn on the headlight switch for 30 minutes while the battery is disconnected.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:14 PM
forddytube
Elder User

so reseting it the way you discribed will reset the computer and what about the chip? will it still be the same again after rebooting and reseting.

Last edited by forddytube; 09-12-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

The chip is never changed, except when its burned by us. The only thing that changes with the computer is its RAM.

Old 09-12-2003, 09:49 PM
forddytube
Elder User

so the chip is still alright ha.gonna get real ties tommorow morn and try to tie it down harder.

Old 09-13-2003, 04:54 PM
forddytube
Elder User

ken is there some sequence to resting the computer?, you said disconnect the battery and turn the lights on for 30 min, well i did that and no change.
should i disconnect both terminals and should i turn off the lights before reconnecting or not.
please walk me through the steps step, by step please!!!!
i had to tape the syte out of the chip and used some zip ties which i had to join.
ty.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:28 AM
AegisSailor
Elder User

Basically, all you're doing is removing power from the computer for a 30 minute period, when you reapply power the computer has lost all it's data about how your truck runs and is forced to re-learn it.

It's shouldn't matter if you disconnect one or both terminals. I would turn the lights back off before re-connecting though, simply because it's less likely to spark if there is no load on the circuit.

The lights have nothing directly to do with the resetting of the computer, he was just giving you a sure way of draining any stored voltage out of the truck.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:05 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

Roger is correct. The computer has a capacitor to hold a temporary charge so you can change your battery without the computer having to relearn. By turning on the headlight switch you're insuring the capacitor gets discharged.

Old 09-15-2003, 11:46 AM
forddytube
Elder User

thanx you guys ,i am running on superchips once again powers back firm shifts etc.
i think the instructions that come with the chip need to be rewritten only cause the consumer wants to get all correct information to make things work right especially when you are selling stuff that can cause an automobile shutoff while running in traffic.
no where on the instructions does it even mention a thing about properly securing chip or nothing of the dangers of not securing it, also try providing more hardware to help simplifie installation, i got zip tie with the chip which where as long as my pinky.
you are responsible in the event that one of you customers is'nt provided enough info when using your products.
mine is secure now and i am still living, now you gotta make sure you guys enphasise this issue to all of your customers.
ty!

Last edited by forddytube; 09-15-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:08 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend

We've sold thousands of chips and up till now haven't had anyone tell us of issues with securing a chip. It would be the same as the power cord on computer, pull the cord, the computer crashes! There's just no way hardware could be made for all the different applications out there. Ford computers vary quite a bit in how far the connector sticks out and different vehicles have different clearances in addition to the connector.

Clearance issues are one of the reasons we try to stick with Diablo chips. We only fall back on Superchips when Diablo doesn't have a program for a particular ECU code (such as yours) and the customer isn't able to send in their computer for us to read it (so we can make a Diablo chip).

We try to cover this in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the Diablo and Superchips pages in the online store. Look at the product comparison chart:

http://www.motorhaven.com/Web_store/...tml#difference

It notes that Diablo chips don't have clearance problems and Superchips does in some applications.

There should have been two sets of instructions with the chip: those that Superchips writes, and ours. Our instructions are far more detailed than their generic instructions.

I strongly urge you to contact the Motorhaven team if you're having installation problems rather asking here. We are glad to walk you through any questions you might have during installation... you know that we do what it take because we did everything to help you get the ECU code, including emailing photos. I'm sorry installation didn't turn out the way you had hoped , but in the future please don't hesitate to call us! If its an issue such as this they'll put you through to me (except when I'm on another line).

Anyway, I'm glad you're up and running. If you have questions or concerns, please let us know. We're also open to suggestions and if there's a particular portion of our instructions that you feel needs to be updated let us know.