Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton Detroit Truetrac Front Diff Plowing Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Eaton Detroit Truetrac Front Diff Plowing Snow

Will likely be going with a Truetrac diff in the 10.25 Sterling on my 89 fun ton plow truck.
Would like to put one in the Dana 60 front also.

Have read nothing but great reviews on the Truetrac in the rear, and one review with it in the front and they said steering was not an issue.

How about steering while plowing under load? The jobs I do don't REQUIRE that I turn with the plow down, but would be nice.

Anyone have experience plowing snow with a Truetrac front diff?

Please refrain from "you can't use a locker in the front unless it's..." I would like feedback from someone that has this diff in the front.

This truck will be used for snow plowing in the winter and asphalt burnouts and 1/8 mile runs in the summer.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sick6
Will likely be going with a Truetrac diff in the 10.25 Sterling on my 89 fun ton plow truck.
Would like to put one in the Dana 60 front also.

Have read nothing but great reviews on the Truetrac in the rear, and one review with it in the front and they said steering was not an issue.

How about steering while plowing under load? The jobs I do don't REQUIRE that I turn with the plow down, but would be nice.

Anyone have experience plowing snow with a Truetrac front diff?

Please refrain from "you can't use a locker in the front unless it's..." I would like feedback from someone that has this diff in the front.

This truck will be used for snow plowing in the winter and asphalt burnouts and 1/8 mile runs in the summer.
I'm not sure I see an issue? If one tire is slipping and the LSD engages, it will allow you to turn. If in 2WD with the hub lockouts disengaged, it shouldn't matter at all either?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Sick6
More Turbo
I don't think it will be an issue either with this type of diff. I'm usually not banking curves and always plowing to the outside of curves to aid in turning.

It's a lot of work and $$$ to install one in the front, just want to be sure.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Sick6
More Turbo
Just found this:
true trac in the snow poll! - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Sounds like one guy has a jeep plowing snow and loves the tt front.

Anyone here?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I have a lunchbox locker up front and it works great. I'd be very hesitant to put any sort of traction aid that won't let the wheel spin freely (i.e. you can spin a tire by hand if you jack it up) up front. With an LS up front you'll have less available traction to swing a turn when off the throttle because the traction at the wheels will be fighting the LS through the turn. With a detroit or lunchbox locker it's almost as good as an open diff when you're not on the throttle.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Sick6
More Turbo
No clickers or clutches for me.

I don't really think the truetrac locks per say, it transfers.

If there is no negative feedback from someone with a full size Ford using one for plowing, then I will give feedback next winter after I install one.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
No personal experience (and I haven't read the link you posted yet). Definitely weight what people who have used it say more than what i say. But with that said...

A TrueTrac doesn't have friction between sides like a clutch-type limited slip. So arse_sidewards' concerns shouldn't be a factor with a TrueTrac (although I agree with his concern about clutch-type limited slips, which is why I think a Detroit is more "streetable" than a factory limited slip in snow).

I did have a LockRight in a front axle for one winter. I never had any issue with it not letting me turn. The issue I had was with how violently it would apply torque steer at speed. At low speed it would pull hard to one side or the other as a front tire lost or regained traction, but since I was going slow I had time to react. At highway speed, not so much and it jumped over a full lane without my approval.

Snowplowing is usually done at lower speeds, and I don't think even the violent torque steer of a full locker would be dangerous like that. And a TrueTrac will definitely be less violent than a full locker.

I hope to hear more from people with real experience driving TrueTracs in snow (and I will read the link you posted). Until that my personal thought is that I wouldn't risk anything other than an open diff (or an unlocked selectable) in a front axle while driving on a snowy highway in 4WD. But for lower speed use like plowing I wouldn't hesitate to use a full locker, and a TrueTrac would be even easier.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
No personal experience (and I haven't read the link you posted yet). Definitely weight what people who have used it say more than what i say. But with that said...

A TrueTrac doesn't have friction between sides like a clutch-type limited slip. So arse_sidewards' concerns shouldn't be a factor with a TrueTrac (although I agree with his concern about clutch-type limited slips, which is why I think a Detroit is more "streetable" than a factory limited slip in snow).

I did have a LockRight in a front axle for one winter. I never had any issue with it not letting me turn. The issue I had was with how violently it would apply torque steer at speed. At low speed it would pull hard to one side or the other as a front tire lost or regained traction, but since I was going slow I had time to react. At highway speed, not so much and it jumped over a full lane without my approval.

Snowplowing is usually done at lower speeds, and I don't think even the violent torque steer of a full locker would be dangerous like that. And a TrueTrac will definitely be less violent than a full locker.

I hope to hear more from people with real experience driving TrueTracs in snow (and I will read the link you posted). Until that my personal thought is that I wouldn't risk anything other than an open diff (or an unlocked selectable) in a front axle while driving on a snowy highway in 4WD. But for lower speed use like plowing I wouldn't hesitate to use a full locker, and a TrueTrac would be even easier.
Excellent post. I agree with your thoughts and experience 100 percent. This truck will see 55 mph on snow in 4wd and close to 90 mph on dry pavement in 4wd. Don't need any surprizes.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
....This truck will see 55 mph on snow in 4wd and close to 90 mph on dry pavement in 4wd....
Part-time 4WD isn't intended for use on dry pavement. I would strongly suggest shifting to 2WD for that. Although you can leave your hubs locked so you can shift in and out of 4WD at any speed as the need changes (best to do when you are traveling in a straight line, and definitely when you are not spinning or skidding tires).

Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
That's common knowledge.

Tire pressure balance front to rear will alleviate bind. Have been balancing trucks for 25 years. It will be in 4wd on dry pavement only when necessary which will be (as stated above) during burnouts and 1/8 mile runs. 2wd will be dangerous with 900ftlb of tq on tap.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
T....It will be in 4wd on dry pavement only when necessary which will be (as stated above) during burnouts and 1/8 mile runs. 2wd will be dangerous with 900ftlb of tq on tap.
Sorry, I missed that earlier

Old 03-23-2017, 06:08 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
It would just be during GO time!

Actually, tire pressure bias front to rear would be correct terminology. An example would be a 70 f100 with 7.50-16 bias ply tires. 55-56 front pressure and 50 rear allowed the t case to go in and out off 4wd effortlessly on dry pavement.

Would always disengage 4wd on dry pavement, but setting the truck up this way saved wear and tear and fuel mileage on snow for the rest of it's life.

Old 03-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Sick6
More Turbo
Bump for the weekend, anyone running a Truetrac up front?

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
A truetrack will behave basically like an open diff in till you lose traction then it will transfer torque to the other wheel so it is a great option for a front diff on vehicles that will be driven in 4x4 on snow covered roads.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 AM
wharthog
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had them in my CJ5 and plowed snow. It was great for plowing. But if I was going to and from the neighbors plowing all their drives, I would loose steering on ice and I would find the lowest point on the icy road or patch. Many times I ended up in the ditch. The good thing is with the tt's I had no problem getting out as long as I had something at least one wheel could grab. Yes it was different wheel base, and it would act much different than your truck on the dryer roads. I did come to a conclusion about the tt in the front. I wouldnt do it again. I now have a truck with eaton electric lockers both front and rear. It is almost done being built and I cant wait to get it out in the snow and dirt.

Quick Reply: Eaton Detroit Truetrac Front Diff Plowing Snow