2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Walk/Phasers 5.4 Triton class action

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Fords in the blood
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank Walk/Phasers 5.4 Triton class action

First off: My apologies to "Jammin" one of the site's moderators. I was not aware my post would result in my being immediately banned.

I am not an attorney, and my OP was not for personal gain other than being one of many individuals unlucky enough to own one of the Ford 04-08 vehicles with a 5.4 liter Triton motor in it. It has the often complained and talked about crank walk where the crank thrust washer has worn and now codes are routinely thrown and the engine idles very roughly when the stars align perfectly.

My goal with my OP was to inform members and owners of a class action suit that I found on the web today. I thought it might help forum members to know the suit was building steam, and might get them spreading the word so those of us unfortunate enough to own one of these vehicles might actually get some resolution.

My family has owned Ford's since I was a kid. First car: 70' Mach 1... that was 1986. Since then my family and I have owned so many Ford's it's not funny. Today we own 9. 1931, 32, and two 34 Ford coupes, two Early Bronco's (66, and 75) and three trucks... 07 and 12 half ton F-150's and a 2017 Super Duty.

So... I feel I have the right to speak up for every Ford owner in my situation. When the 07 started acting up, I just parked it and did what any other true fanatic would do, I went and bought a new 2012 w/eco boost. It has 144K miles on it now with very few issues outside of regular maintenance. I chose not to rip some unsuspecting person off on the 07' with issues and just parked it. It's been sitting for five years now and I've put less than 500 miles on it since. I have been hoping Ford would do the right thing. This class action suit is going in the right direction.

Just a fair an honest hardworking American here trying to let the masses know they have options and should come together to get Ford to address the issue. I don't want to drive a Chevy, don't want to drive a Dodge... just want my manufacturer of choice to do the right thing. I have held stock quite a few times over the years even thought it doesn't move much, it was good to know I was doing all I could to help support the company. I have since sold my Ford holdings.

Even my local dealer told me it was crank walk and to just "sell the truck". I love them for being honest, I expect the same from Ford. Have bought new Ford trucks many times and gotten over 200K miles on them with few problems. They are great vehicles. Why should those of us with a poor product (low budge thrust washers that prematurely wear) be left out in the cold.

Ford... step up and act like an American company and put the issues that are well known behind you so they don't drag on for many years and cause a loss in customer base.

My two cents. If I get banned again I understand. Hopefully my explanation here will keep that from happening.

Thanks... William in Texas.

Moderator edit: Link is removed. Thank you William for your explanation, your intentions were honest. Please see #8 in the site guidelines for all future posts: https://www.ford-trucks.com/site-guidelines/

Last edited by Pocket; 03-18-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Removed link to class-action lawsuit
Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

Poor 07'. Just sits in the garage now. I'd like to give it to my son when he turns 16 in two years but not with the crank walk issue.

To prove who we are... loyalists but only to a point!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

Pops and I in Moab. I am in the Green 75, he in the blue and silver 66'.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:49 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

We love the Fords. Ford... are you listening?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

I will stop blowing this post up now. Just Showing FoMoCo. that we are and have been loyalists for decades. New 17' platinum Super Duty with 34' Ford in the bed. Just dropped it off to be built by some buddies in Illinois. As loyalists we just want Ford to step up and repay us for being loyal through thick and thin!

Ford sued over latent defects in vehicles equipped with the 5.4L engine | Got a Class Action?

Old 03-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

The 01' in the foreground. Bought it new and had over 200K miles on it with no issues. The 07' behind it began having issues about 80K miles.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

First Car... this is how it starts for most of us. FORD

Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Fords in the blood
New User
Even the family van is a FORD! It never had crank walk, nor did the Mustang with Cleveland. Ford.. what gives?????

Old 03-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

03' F-350. No crank walk here... never a problem with you diesels or your gas motors in many decades of owning your vehicles.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

Dad's 31' Model A.... no problems with this one. Hmmm maybe that's b/c he put a Chevy motor in it. I might be onto something here!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Fords in the blood
New User

My 2nd car even though it was a 28 Dodge... what did I do??? Put a 302 FORD motor in it. Just doesn't get any more loyal than that. Come on Ford... take care of the situation! NO MORE DENYING THE THRUST WASHERS CAUSING CRANK WALK IN YOUR TRITONS.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:39 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Crank position is controlled by the center main bearing.
There is no 'thrust washer'.
If it wears for some reason like holding a clutch in with it's heavy springs can cause that bearing to wear.
Or winding the engine and or pulling so much weight that the converter Balloons forward will also do it and can ever reunion the transmission front pump..
I have only seen one case of this in a small 2.6 V6 automatic. It caused the flywheel to hit the trans bell housing that is already very close.
If you have enough vehicles long enough, some things are bound to happen.
I think your out of line with this.
Fix it like all your other vehicles.
Good luck.