Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Where is my boost going?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:00 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsps250
So where are you reading your boost from? You don't think the code regulator could be causing it do you? I don't use a regulator so I'm not really familiar with how they are set up. But that seems to be the only thing that's changed since your boost went away.
Reading the boost with a tee in the map line, which does now hold the code regulator, it's between the tee and the map sensor. I've also got a valve stem in the leak detector that I've used to double check pressure with a tire gauge.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,502 Likes on 2,870 Posts
Well, lower boost does not always mean lower EGT's. When towing heavy going up a grade and if I am in 5th gear and running 15 PSI of boost my EGT's can be ~1100. If I drop into 4th gear and bring the boost up to ~25 PSI the EGT's will drop down to ~900.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Originally Posted by Sous
Well, lower boost does not always mean lower EGT's. When towing heavy going up a grade and if I am in 5th gear and running 15 PSI of boost my EGT's can be ~1100. If I drop into 4th gear and bring the boost up to ~25 PSI the EGT's will drop down to ~900.
yeah I was referring more to lower setting on the chip equals less fuel, power, egt. Usually when towing with high egts if you turn the tuner to lower power it helps, so I'm not thinking that my chip being on a lower setting is a contributing factor. I did have to shift down a lot, way more than usual. Tempting to think it's normal under load but for the lousy results of the leak test.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are you measuring the 2 PSI? Could the gauge be messed up? Can you do your leak test with KOEO and see what the MAP sensor PSI is to see if it agrees with your gauge.

[EDIT]
Missed this:
Originally Posted by ranagent
Reading the boost with a tee in the map line, which does now hold the code regulator, it's between the tee and the map sensor. I've also got a valve stem in the leak detector that I've used to double check pressure with a tire gauge.
Seems like you already double checked the pressure readings.
[/EDIT]

NOTE that doing this might throw a code related to the MAP sensor seeing boost while the EBP sensor does not....

You can also remove the CAC tube going INTO the turbo (passenger side) and tape a bag over it. You should be able to pop that bag - or blow it off.

Does your air source have enough CFM to overcome the existing leaks (tailpipe/ccv) and still build pressure?

[EDIT2]
How much out the tail pipe? If something is up with the wastegate then it could all be going out the exhaust.

Plug the exhaust pipe and see if you can build pressure?

[/EDIT2]

Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Originally Posted by tjmike
How are you measuring the 2 PSI? Could the gauge be messed up? Can you do your leak test with KOEO and see what the MAP sensor PSI is to see if it agrees with your gauge.

[EDIT]
Missed this:

Seems like you already double checked the pressure readings.
[/EDIT]

NOTE that doing this might throw a code related to the MAP sensor seeing boost while the EBP sensor does not....

You can also remove the CAC tube going INTO the turbo (passenger side) and tape a bag over it. You should be able to pop that bag - or blow it off.

Does your air source have enough CFM to overcome the existing leaks (tailpipe/ccv) and still build pressure?

[EDIT2]
How much out the tail pipe? If something is up with the wastegate then it could all be going out the exhaust.

Plug the exhaust pipe and see if you can build pressure?

[/EDIT2]
I can feel a slight breeze out the exhaust pipe. I've unclipped the actuator and manually moved the wastegate arm while air is blowing in with no change. I've got a 80 gallon tank with a pretty good sized compressor on it, plenty of air. It's blowing in just as fast as a valve stem will let it.

I might be able to work on it again tomorrow, it sat all day today but will drive it some tomorrow. I'll try to bag the exhaust as well as the cac tube. What's the chance that the center cartridge is leaking? Seems like that would be a catastrophic type of failure though.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
The air has to go somewhere, so let's find it. Saran wrap and rubber bands can be your friend here. If you don't have a helper, you likely have a smart phone with a video camera to see things out of view while under the hood. Saran the CCV hose (oil cap on) and exhaust pipe to start with. If it doesn't got to either of those, then the boost is escaping out a boot, the intercooler, the spider connection, or the intake plenum.

A fellow member with an E99 upgraded his turbo, but he had an issue with the V band clamp to the spider and didn't realize it. Quick call to Clay for a new clamp squared that one away.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM
ranagent
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tugly
The air was to go somewhere, so let's find it. Saran wrap and rubber bands can be your friend here. If you don't have a helper, you likely have a smart phone with a video camera to see things out of view while under the hood. Saran the CCV hose (oil cap on) and exhaust pipe to start with. If it doesn't got to either of those, then the boost is escaping out a boot, the intercooler, the spider connection, or the intake plenum.

A fellow member with an E99 upgraded his turbo, but he had an issue with the V band clamp to the spider and didn't realize it. Quick call to Clay for a new clamp squared that one away.
Will pressurizing the crank case cause leaks? I've got a cheap little scope that works pretty well for peeking in tight spots.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:48 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tugly
The air has to go somewhere, so let's find it. Saran wrap and rubber bands can be your friend here. If you don't have a helper, you likely have a smart phone with a video camera to see things out of view while under the hood. Saran the CCV hose (oil cap on) and exhaust pipe to start with. If it doesn't got to either of those, then the boost is escaping out a boot, the intercooler, the spider connection, or the intake plenum.

I drove it some Thursday, it builds boost but there's a sound of it coming out too, when I'm driving it sounds to me like right around the turbo. Passenger thinks it's more on their side. From what I can tell I'm seeing about 25-40% less boost on the gauge than normal.

Today I've been trying to find the leak with the boost tester. I've got the exhaust taped off, I haven't seen any pressure coming out of it yet. I've got a plug clamped in the ccv. I've saran wrapped where it comes out of the turbo to the intercooler, it bulges the wrap there but isn't leaking. At this point, from what I understand of the turbo system, the only thing that I should be pressurizing is the intake into the turbo, the area where the compressor wheel is, and then out the front of the turbo to the point where I have it wrapped... I have the regulator set at 20 psi, yet I can only get 1.5 psi when I test with a gauge on the second valve stem on the boost tester! There is also air coming out of the oil fill tube when I take the cap off! There is no air coming out of the intercooler return port. From what I can tell I've eliminated all points that air could leak right? The whole intercooler and all of its boots, the spider, plenum, and boots, air isn't getting to the exhaust, and to confirm there are no sooty spots... What is going on with this thing?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:58 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Picture of where I'm at now:

Old 02-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did something happen to the compressor outlet oring? I had one that tore, and also had one fall completely off. It actually didn't sound much like a boost leak as so much air was escaping believe it or not, turbo whined louder was all no hissing noise.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:36 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Originally Posted by Dirtscooter250
Did something happen to the compressor outlet oring? I had one that tore, and also had one fall completely off. It actually didn't sound much like a boost leak as so much air was escaping believe it or not, turbo whined louder was all no hissing noise.
I made sure it went in fine, I'm not getting any leakage around there. I just ran my input pressure up to 45psi and now I'm getting 4psi at the air inlet...

Old 02-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you checked directly after the intercooler? I am wondering if you may somehow have a hole in that?

Maybe start at the intake plenum and work your way back, taking different components out of the equation (CAC boots, CAC tubing, intercooler etc.) until you start to see pressure. That way you may at least have an idea of which part of the system is losing air?

Old 02-25-2017, 05:14 PM
ranagent
Tuned
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
Have you checked directly after the intercooler? I am wondering if you may somehow have a hole in that?

Maybe start at the intake plenum and work your way back, taking different components out of the equation (CAC boots, CAC tubing, intercooler etc.) until you start to see pressure. That way you may at least have an idea of which part of the system is losing air?
as I detailed above I've done that, intercooler is out of the loop. I'm pressuring from turbo inlet to the spider connection to the intercooler tube

Old 02-25-2017, 05:53 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
V-band and turbo aligned correctly on babybutt?
Oring present between turbo n spider?

Old 02-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I doubt the rubber band and Saran Wrap will allow pressure to build. When I mentioned Saran Wrap, I was thinking the whole boost system would be secured and you'd put the wrap on the exhaust and the CCV inlet in search of leaking boost there. If there is no significant leak past the rings, valves, or wastegate - then the Saran on the exhaust/CCV inlet won't puff up.

If they don't puff up, then you might consider swapping that Schrader valve for a male air hose fitting. I have a male air hose fitting and I hook the hose up directly with the regulator set to 15 PSI. I have found leaks with 5 PSI and spraying Simple Green all over the place until I found bubbles. In my case, it was the intake plenum seal that bubbled.

Quick Reply: Where is my boost going?