Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its EASY they said...HELP WONT RUN AFTER SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 PM
mdwirth
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its EASY they said...HELP WONT RUN AFTER SWAP

OK here is the deal, I have a friend from the board trying to help but can use any ideasfrom you guru's, I have a 1995 f150 2wd and 5spd manual trans. It had a 4.9 in it the motor died a horrible death after much service anyways I had been wanting to put in a 351 so I looked around and found a 1990 f150 with a 351 and a e40d. I got this truck running great but body was shot so I found the wiring harness I needed as a 90 will not work in a 95, found a computer out of a 92 f250 with a 351 and a c6 trans was told it will work. I take out the 4.9 and put in the 351 in the 95 I get the correct flywheel and new clutch set up for it as I want to drive and not replace it, I change the wiring harness on the motor to the newer harness and my first dilemma was with the distributor, the 90 had a module on it and the newer harness was different so I get a distributor for a 92 f150 5.8 after all thats what the computer is for so I figured try to keep it the same. The plugs were the same no problem first hurdle jumped. I eliminate the air pump and after 6 different belts I get one to work properly, second hurdle jumped, NOW I jump in to start it and click click click, arrrrrrggggg low battery so I thought get new battery charger cause Hey I need it right.....well cherge up battery and CLICK CLICK CLICK hmmmm well hell replaced the starter turns over GREAT now, ok now is the problem, I get in turn it over and.........no start, DAmn CHECK EVERYTHING i CAN ADD 1 forgotten ground wire thinking ok this fixes it jump in to start and.......still no start its turning over BUT I am getting no spark AND my fuel pump is not working either. HELPPPPPP I have no mil lite on dash it does not light up but did with 4.9 in it, I have power to the fuel pump relay and to the eec relay I have power at the coil but I am getting no spark at the plugs AND no fuel pressure in the rail WhaT AM i MISSING?????? I have been at this all day and am relly frustrated I am sure it is something simple but what, I dont want to spend the money on a new computer unless that is the problem what do I need to look at.......Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:47 PM
mdwirth
Freshman User
UPDATE::::::I jump 2 and 6 pins on the test port and the fuel pump pumps great....

Old 01-30-2017, 09:06 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to compare pinouts for a 92 pcm and compare it to the what ever year wiring harness you have.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 967 Likes on 765 Posts
What engine wiring harness did you use?

Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No check engine light means the computer isn't getting power.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:10 PM
mdwirth
Freshman User
to be honest I am assuming it is from a 92 as the computer came with the wiring and also a map was with it.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 AM
chillman88
Senior User
You're going to have issues if you're trying to use the E4OD with a C6 computer. The C6 computer would be okay with the 5 speed though. There are no computer controls with a C6 but there are with an E4OD.

If you're trying to run the E4OD I would get an ECM that can run it before I started worrying about wiring.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
This is an easy swap said NOBODY EVER (sorry, couldn't resist)

Originally Posted by mdwirth
...I have a 1995 f150 2wd and 5spd manual trans. It had a 4.9 in it the motor died a horrible death after much service anyways

I had been wanting to put in a 351 so I looked around and found a 1990 f150 with a 351 and a e40d. I got this truck running great but body was shot

so I found the wiring harness I needed as a 90 will not work in a 95, (Were did this come from?)

found a computer out of a 92 f250 with a 351 and a c6 trans was told it will work. (You might get the engine to start but it won't run the E4OD)

I take out the 4.9 and put in the 351 in the 95 I get the correct flywheel and new clutch set up for it as I want to drive and not replace it,

I change the wiring harness on the motor to the newer harness and my first dilemma was with the distributor, the 90 had a module on it and the newer harness was different (?)

so I get a distributor for a 92 f150 5.8 after all thats what the computer is for so I figured try to keep it the same. (So you got a 1992 harness? How much of one ? You need everything under hood & what goes down to the trans.)

The plugs were the same no problem first hurdle jumped. (Does not mean anything. The wires colors & pin-out most likely completely different)

I eliminate the air pump and after 6 different belts I get one to work properly, second hurdle jumped, NOW I jump in to start it and click click click, arrrrrrggggg low battery so I thought get new battery charger cause Hey I need it right.....well cherge up battery and CLICK CLICK CLICK hmmmm well hell replaced the starter turns over GREAT now, ok now is the problem,

I get in turn it over and.........no start, DAmn CHECK EVERYTHING i CAN ADD 1 forgotten ground wire thinking ok this fixes it jump in to start and.......still no start its turning over BUT I am getting no spark AND my fuel pump is not working either. (If the ECU does not see a signal from distributor, it will not energize/run the pumps)

HELPPPPPP I have no mil lite on dash it does not light up but did with 4.9 in it, I have power to the fuel pump relay and to the eec relay I have power at the coil but I am getting no spark at the plugs AND no fuel pressure in the rail WhaT AM i MISSING?????? (Everything listed above for a start probably )

I have been at this all day and am relly frustrated I am sure it is something simple but what, I dont want to spend the money on a new computer unless that is the problem (a correct computer is in your future without a doubt)

what do I need to look at......

Try breaking things down & simplifying the issues/questions. It make things easier for those who try & help.

Good luck

Edit, I bungled the whole e4od bit, please diregard. Other problem on my mind. Sorry,

Old 01-31-2017, 08:22 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Sounds like no power to ECU to me.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
You said you did away with the ICM at the distributor but did you put one on the fender?

If you installed an ICM unplug the PCM Computer and see if you have spark.

Does the PCM Power relay click when the key is turned on and does it put power on the red wires going to the fuel pump relay and other places it goes.

Did you ground the PCM Computer at the passenger fender and if so is there a ground wire running from that point to the NEG post of the battery?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 PM
mdwirth
Freshman User
ok, I have the ICM mounted on the fenderwall, I unplug the PCM and I have spark. I took off the ground wires next to the battery cleaned them up reinstalled them and made sure the lead to the battery was also clean and good. I do not hear the relays click but do have power going to both the eec and fuel pump

Old 01-31-2017, 12:45 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Sounds like the PCM Power relay is not closing when the key is turned to run or start positions.
You say you have power to the Ignition coil and have spark with the PCM Computer unplugged so you should have power to the PCM Power relay coil.

That leaves only the ground wire from the PCM Power relay coil or the diode on the power side of the Power relay coil or fuse #22.

The ground wire for the PCM Power relay coil is at G100. Make sure the wires at G100 have good connection and the radiator support they are attached to is grounded.
G100:

/

Old 01-31-2017, 01:39 PM
mdwirth
Freshman User
ok well, I took off the ground wires cleaned them up put back on I took off the connector to the pcm cleanrd the pins put it back together, I put in a new fuel pump and eec relay. Fuse 22 is god power to both sides, when I unplug the diode in the distribution box and plug it back in the ecc relay clicks. I still have no fuel pump and no ignition......ARRRRRRRRRR...........ok now the pcm is off a 92 with an automatic trans I am trying to use it in a standard transmission truck would this cause the problem my thinking here is that there is no trans ind switch to give the pcm a signal to allow it to start and run, BTW i want to thank you all for the help

Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Ed Bamba
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdwirth
ok well, I took off the ground wires cleaned them up put back on I took off the connector to the pcm cleanrd the pins put it back together, I put in a new fuel pump and eec relay. Fuse 22 is god power to both sides, when I unplug the diode in the distribution box and plug it back in the ecc relay clicks. I still have no fuel pump and no ignition......ARRRRRRRRRR...........ok now the pcm is off a 92 with an automatic trans I am trying to use it in a standard transmission truck would this cause the problem my thinking here is that there is no trans ind switch to give the pcm a signal to allow it to start and run, BTW i want to thank you all for the help
Two posters mentioned above that you may have issues when trying to use an E4OD PCM on a manual transmission vehicle. Just bumping this so they will reply with a more through response. Hope you isolate your issue, these computer controlled engines can be tricky at times.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:25 PM
mdwirth
Freshman User
well from my understanding the pcm Im trying to use came from a truck with a c6 in it

Quick Reply: Its EASY they said...HELP WONT RUN AFTER SWAP