1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fanny Mae

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Fanny Mae
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fanny Mae

So I have been lurking since September, prior to the purchase of Fanny Mae. It was the fact that one could gather so much-information from this website that I decided to purchase her. I found this truck in northern Ontario where she spent most of her life. She cruised the streets of Shania Twains home town, Timmins, Ontario.
She is a 1950 F 47, the Canadian version of an F-1. I purchased it all in pieces. It was a project which lost momentum by the previous PO. I hope to pick up where others have left off.
My plan is a daily driver. Most of the body is complete just a matter of matching up the right pieces, gotta remember half of her are in boxes. Fanny has a 70's 302, which will require an overhaul. Suspension and brakes are to be modernized. Just want to upgrade her mechanics not her looks, a little mascara (paint), a little cosmetic work but no major boob jobs. I give myself 3 years to get on the road, time and budget are the concerns.
Anyways I thank all those that have contributed to this website and thanks in advance to all those that will contribute as I start my project.
Why Fanny Mae, cause I know at times she will be a pain in the *ss and she will always want more money.
Cheers Rob.

Attached Images      
Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome aboard. Glad to have both you and the lovely Ms Mae. Good to see another forgotten project get a second chance. Keep us posted on your progress and don't be shy about questions.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:40 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the best forum ever. Are those photos current? If that's Ontario in January then it's the world's best kept secret. You've got a great project there so please start a project build thread and keep the posts and photos coming as you make progress.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:33 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Welcome to the board!
It looks like you have a great starting point on your project. Its nice to see another truck coming back to life.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 01-24-2017, 08:35 PM
Fanny Mae
New User
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I brought Fanny home in November and typically the fall is mild (live close to Toronto). She spent her last few years in a shop waiting to be put back together. The PO had a fellow working on it who unfortunately had some health issues and Fanny sat idle for a few years, thus the PO lost interest. The real fun should start in the next few months once a few dollars are in the bank. As most parts will come from the good ole USA the Canadian dollar sure takes a kickin.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Looks like a real nice solid start.
Those running boards appear to be longer, for an f2 or f3?
If so you will need shorter ones. Ive been keeping my eyes out for a good set of long boards for my f2. Ive also got a brand new set of steel f1 boards for possible trade? Or cash for good long boards if my eyes arent deceiving me?

Also see that youve got a thing for dirt bikes,
I still miss my Honda CR. Some day ill buy another one. Probably a 4 stroke since they are so awesome.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:18 PM
pholmes350
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun project! Just hang in there and don't give up. It will be worth it.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Fanny Mae
New User
hello Jmadsen. I think the picture distorts the length, but you did get me thinking so I measured their length. They are 62.5 inches on the short side which would be the inner side of the boards. My fenders and boards are fibreglass. The PO purchased them along with a new box. The body work is basically complete. Cab, doors and hood are in great shape. So in someways I have a head start. I know I'm on the best site when keen eyes pick up on these instances. Better to sort it out now than at the paint shop...
As you can see I'm a dirt bike nut, had I not purchased Fanny I'd be on a new bike this summer. I think my wife is thankful I purchased Fanny. She is thinking this may slow me down a bit. Seems every couple of years I end breaking some part of the body. Last time it was 4 ribs and a hand. Landed on my hand and punched my out my ribs. No sympathy from her she wouldn't drive me to the hospital, luckily it is just around the corner. Forgot to mention it was Mother's Day.......
Fanny is my retirement gift to myself. I should have her complete as I retire.
Rob

Old 01-25-2017, 07:23 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web! Good for you that your wife supports this buy! That is half the battle.

Fannie Mae, I like that name. You should buy another Ford truck and in keeping with govt agencies name him Freddie Mac.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Fanny Mae
New User
Was wondering when someone would put Fanny and Freddie together. Canadians do monitor the American economy and politics quite closely. It was saddening to see this debacle. But I leave it at that, my wife says never talk about politics or religion whenever we go to parties. Ends up the party is boring.
We do have a few "Yanks" (as my father would say) in the family and each year my wife and I make a road trip thru the states. Which reminds me I believe there is a big ford truck show in Tennessee. Just so happens one of our "Yanks" lives in that beautiful state. Better reserve my room, his wife is a great cook to boot.......

Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
ya, if the running boards are fiberglass they are for the f-47 nobody is reproducing the long boards that I know of?

Dirt bikes sure are fun but can be dangerous... But I always say I would rather crash on dirt and hit trees, rocks etc than be on asphalt and have cars hit me etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:50 AM
JakRak
Senior User
Sweet project, and welcome aboard!

Is she running drag slicks on the rear?

Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 AM
Fanny Mae
New User
The drag slicks were just for transportation. I will soon start on the suspension and go with a ifs up front and a Ford Explorer rear end. There are plenty of options for the ifs but as my welding skills are non exsistant my only option is the chassis engineering bolt on. I will stay with the 302 and add power steering. This will require me to get a rear sump pan and raise the engine with shims to clear the power steering rack.
So the next question is where / how do I start my build thread. And as I start and document the build please comment, as I will need to know what went right or wrong and what I should watch out for.
Rob

Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web! Good for you that your wife supports this buy! That is half the battle.

Fannie Mae, I like that name. You should buy another Ford truck and in keeping with govt agencies name him Freddie Mac.
While I agree with the above I think when the truck bug hits you hard you should purchase a 3rd truck and name it Shania