Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

4x4 with a regular axle vs. 4x2 with a e-locker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:23 PM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
I've always liked a good Limited-slip rear. My old 2006 truck was 2wd with a3.55:1/LSD and only the 4.2 V6 and it was a beast of a truck! In most weather conditions, that truck would go anywhere I pointed it! There was only one time in 10 years that it got stuck in the snow, and that's when I was trying to drive up the steep hill that I lived on steep hill during a blizzard, and had no room to get any momentum. It made it about 30 ft up the hill from my driveway and stopped.
My current truck is 4wd with the open axle, but with traction control. It does surprisingly well for itself in the snow! I have good All-Terrain tires on it right now (all I ever run) and I have not had to engage the 4wd yet for snow, knock on wood. However, once you switch it into 4wd, the computer turns off the Traction control.
That right there speaks volumes to me because I live in the Pittsburgh area as well so I know the conditions you are dealing with. Something we haven't seen in a couple of years but it will be back. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:49 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I too have an open diff 3.31 axle and in the heavy wet snow that SE Virginia typically gets, she's a mule. The traction control does well but the 4x4 really grabs.

I've had two trucks with the LSD and 3 with open diffs and I really can't say that the LSD trucks performed any better in mud or snow than my open diff trucks did.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ACADguy
That right there speaks volumes to me because I live in the Pittsburgh area as well so I know the conditions you are dealing with. Something we haven't seen in a couple of years but it will be back. Thanks.
Anytime! PM me if you're able to yet, let me know what part of town you live in.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I've had two trucks with the LSD and 3 with open diffs and I really can't say that the LSD trucks performed any better in mud or snow than my open diff trucks did.
I've had both and an open rear end is the most frustrating thing! I've had multiple trucks with factory Ford Limited slip diff's and no issues with milage into the 120,000's. Many Explorers, Expedition, Excursion and even my '91 F-250 is on the factory rear end and LS and it works great still at 68k miles.

The limited slip in my '11 is tight and works great! I've broken loose on dry ground and had the rear end pass me, tells me she works pretty darn good, an open diff would have just spun one wheel and done nothing but make a smoke show.

In the snow I can actually get it sideways very easily ( I always turn off TC/RSC in the winter ) but my open diff trucks it took work to get them to even start a rear end slide, which is no fun.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
the computer turns off the Traction control.
Incorrect, at least with my 2011 it stays kicked in and will cut power at the slightest bit of wheel spin. Hence why I turn it off every time I get in during the winter months.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Agree that 4WD would be better than 2WD, even with a locking differential.

There is much mythology about how a differential works. There is no such thing as a one-wheel-drive vehicle. There is no left or right drive wheel...BOTH wheels on an axle are supplied torque. The confusion exists because torque is equalized...when one wheel slips, the gearset can only apply that same amount of torque to the wheel that grips. Taken to extremes, if one wheel is in the air, it can apply no torque, which means the wheel on the ground also receives almost no torque.

Locking the rear differential permits unequal torque between left and right wheel, which effectively locks both axleshafts to the differential. Meaning the wheel that grips will transmit much more torque than the wheel that slips. This difference can be huge, as in the above example, or quite small if both wheels have similar amounts of traction. Modern traction control achieves a similar effect by braking the spinning wheel, which transmits more torque to the other gripping wheel.

Lots of good info on this:

Differentials and Traction - How Differentials Work | HowStuffWorks
How does a Differential work ? ~ Learn Engineering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F40ZBDAG8-o

Old 01-21-2017, 01:48 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I believe based on what I've been told, the front axle drive wheel on a 4x4 is the drivers side while the rear drive is the passenger side. Opposing corners working to push and pull. In 4hi, there's no speed limit and 4lo will give you amazing pulling power.

On a Ford locked axle, the axle will disengage at around 30 MPH whether the wheels are spinning endlessly or the vehicle is in motion. The open diff with traction control is proving to be pretty good, at least in my experience with my 2011 truck.
In an open diff any wheel can drive. The one with the least amount of traction is going to get the most power though

Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
The one with the least amount of traction is going to get the most power though
Actually, they both get the same amount of torque. The one with the least traction spins first, and at that point the party is over.

To the O.P. - Get the 4x4 truck and spend some money upgrading the rear diff. Get a True-Track differential and be done with it. They're expensive at the point of purchase but have no clutches to wear out, and require no oil additives. Its a buy once-cry once item, and they work great.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM
ChalmersP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
Actually, they both get the same amount of torque. The one with the least traction spins first, and at that point the party is over.

To the O.P. - Get the 4x4 truck and spend some money upgrading the rear diff. Get a True-Track differential and be done with it. They're expensive at the point of purchase but have no clutches to wear out, and require no oil additives. Its a buy once-cry once item, and they work great.
How much $$ are we talking? And would I be able to do the work myself?

Old 01-22-2017, 11:53 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Typically they run $5-600 depending on application. They're fairly easy to install as you only have to pull the ring gear, so a full set-up is not required upon reassembly. The trick is to carefully measure the backlash prior to teardown, and re-shim the new unit to replicate that number as closely as possible.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:56 AM
ChalmersP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P.Bronner
Typically they run $5-600 depending on application. They're fairly easy to install as you only have to pull the ring gear, so a full set-up is not required upon reassembly. The trick is to carefully measure the backlash prior to teardown, and re-shim the new unit to replicate that number as closely as possible.
Oh great! Thats really not half as bad as I was thinking. I must be thinking of a gear swap. But with what youre talking about, id keep the same ratio, correct?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:24 PM
P.Bronner
Elder User
Yes, you keep your same gears. You're just changing the differential carrier upon which the ring gear is mounted. I put a True-Trac in my 05 last year when I re-geared it. I'm very happy with how it performs. The other serious option would be an E-lock. My '11 F350 has one and it works great when you really need it, but it is manually operated. The true-Trac is automatic and gives you 75-80% effectiveness (ballpark guess number) compared to being fully locked. From what I've read, the True-Trac's Achilles heel is when you have one wheel fully off the ground with zero traction available. At that point the unit can't engage itself, but a little brake pressure (which gets torque on the axle) puts it back into operation. There are some sprag-type units available such as the Detriot Locker and I believe the Ox-Locker, but they are aimed at the hard core crowd and have rather poor street manners. They chatter and clunk as they lock and unlock.