1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F350 6.0 hard to turn on after head gaskets replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 PM
R8ERF350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F350 6.0 hard to turn on after head gaskets replaced

Hello everyone, new to this site and in need of some help.

I have a 2005 F350 6.0 PowerStroke, and I just did the head bolts upgrade to the ARP studs, new EGR cooler and a new stock turbo.

Looks like everything came out good, no left over parts or unplugged connectors, all new fluids and fuel filters and oil filter.

Did the priming of fuel and oil, the turbo.

When it was ready to turn it on, I turned the motor by jumping the starter to build some oil pressure.

Now I turn the key to turn on the truck, it turns with no issues, it sound good, but it will not turn on.
Checked my batteries, they are fully charged, checked fluids, ok, checked oil pressure as I'm cranking it, it looks good.
It still does not turn on.
So, I jumped it with my friends Excursion, after a couple of tries, it TURNED ON.
Let it run for about 3 minutes then turned it off. It sound good just like it did before the upgrade, with an exhaust leak from the turbo.
Went to turn it on again, it turns but it will not start, jumped it again and it RUNS.
Now I let it run for about 30 minutes figured out where the exhaust leak was coming from.
Shut it off, Re seated exhaust pipe with leak, WENT TO TURN IT ON AND IT WILL TURN BUT WILL NOT RUN.

So I looked for other treads on this and did not find one with the issue I'm having, if some knows of one I will appreciate the help finding it.

Or if someone has any suggestions on what checks I can perform to start eliminating possible issues, much appreciated.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:35 PM
Ruslan Shevchuk
Mountain Pass
You'll have better luck getting help if you post in the 6.0 forum. Sounds like your voltage is getting low. FICM likes voltage above 10 otherwise it can get destroyed. Also you're gonna want to monitor a few other sensors, so research getting gauges for icp, ipr levels. You need to get 500+ icp pressure to get injectors to fire.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Originally Posted by R8ERF350
Hello everyone, new to this site and in need of some help.

I have a 2005 F350 6.0 PowerStroke, and I just did the head bolts upgrade to the ARP studs, new EGR cooler and a new stock turbo.

Looks like everything came out good, no left over parts or unplugged connectors, all new fluids and fuel filters and oil filter.

Did the priming of fuel and oil, the turbo.

When it was ready to turn it on, I turned the motor by jumping the starter to build some oil pressure.

Now I turn the key to turn on the truck, it turns with no issues, it sound good, but it will not turn on.
Checked my batteries, they are fully charged, checked fluids, ok, checked oil pressure as I'm cranking it, it looks good.
It still does not turn on.
So, I jumped it with my friends Excursion, after a couple of tries, it TURNED ON.
Let it run for about 3 minutes then turned it off. It sound good just like it did before the upgrade, with an exhaust leak from the turbo.
Went to turn it on again, it turns but it will not start, jumped it again and it RUNS.
Now I let it run for about 30 minutes figured out where the exhaust leak was coming from.
Shut it off, Re seated exhaust pipe with leak, WENT TO TURN IT ON AND IT WILL TURN BUT WILL NOT RUN.

So I looked for other treads on this and did not find one with the issue I'm having, if some knows of one I will appreciate the help finding it.

Or if someone has any suggestions on what checks I can perform to start eliminating possible issues, much appreciated.
From what I have read, any time the hpop system is opened up it needs to be driven for awhile at various RPM to purge the air out. I'm new to the 6.0 myself but have been reading alot on here. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 PM
OneCylinder
Senior User
It is true that after opening the HPO system you'll have longer starts for a while but that should improve within a few days.

Doing a HG job puts you deep enough in the engine that logic would dictate that the STC fitting, up pipes and dummie plugs along with the injector O rings should have been replaced.

Like Rusian Shevchuk said, post your text on the 6.0 section of this forum. Some great guys over there will help walk you through the diagnosis.

Good luck !

Old 01-18-2017, 08:53 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts
If it starts and runs when getting a boost from another battery, I suspect your batteries are not up to snuff. What voltage do they read at rest. Take them out and get them tested.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 PM
R8ERF350
New User
Thanks everyone for the responds,

I did get a couple of kits to replace O rings and gaskets, for the injectors, fuel lines, and a few other things.

I checked the FICM and I have 49V when the key is on the ON positing and also when cranking it, so that is in good shape.

And just to be on the safe side I also got new batteries.

But it still turns but will not run.

As I was leaving my shop/man cave, a friend came by and turned out he is a heavy equipment diesel guy, did not know that.
So he had me plug in the block heater, cycle the key a few times to warm up the glow plugs and used a little starting fluid and sure as heck truck turn on for a few seconds. Sounded really awful but it turn on.

So he suggested that the glow plugs are not warming up, so now at least I have a direction in which to go.

Next step is to troubleshoot the glow plugs and I found a few thread on that.

Again thanks for the help, learned a few things from this thread.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:39 PM
reptar0077
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Mabye before you chase the glow plugs, I would try letting the truck run (provided everything sounds good.) Let it run for 10-20 mins idling, this gives the truck CPU time to adjust all its emissions sensors.

Then I would drive it very close to home and try and get a couple miles on it. Then try starting it again when home. Good luck mate!

Old 01-20-2017, 12:25 AM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First Do not use staring fluid on the 6.0 unless you want to cause your self even more problems. There is no reason to cycle the key the glow plugs continue to run after the light goes out for up 120 seconds I believe deepening on the temperature easy to tell when they go out by looking at battery voltage. After the high pressure oil system has been open you need to drive it pretty hard after it warms up to get all the air purged from the system until you do it is not uncommon to have hard starts. Don't run the batteries down to low or you will kill the ficm.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 AM
R8ERF350
New User
Well, glow plugs and wire harness checked out good, I checked resistance and its good.

Got a GPCM and plugged it in with no change.

I'm making sure I don't run the batteries low and damage the FICM.

My next step is to jump it again and hopefully it turns on, drive it for a while, and hope that the computer starts to reset/clear it's self, and the engine purges itself of air.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:47 PM
R8ERF350
New User
Well, after trouble shooting the glow plug system and no issues that I could find, decided to take the truck to a shop to run a full diagnostics before spending more time and money on wild goose chases.

Turns out that the injectors got damaged when the head gasket went out, replaced all 8 and truck runs great now, with a little issue from the EGR valve, which might be bad.

From what the shop said and what I have researched if coolant gets into the oil it turns it into slush and damages the injectors, it did not help that I drove the truck a few miles to my place.

Thanks for all the help.