1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

LOUD!! Rattling (mp3 file) from around bellhousing at 2,500+ rpm, not flex plate or torque convter

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 PM
Eli.Jp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOUD!! Rattling (mp3 file) from around bellhousing at 2,500+ rpm, not flex plate or torque convter

Hello everyone,
I posted a little while back due to the same issue and the popular openion was cracked flexplate (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...converter.html)

I have noise coming from the bell housing that gets louder and louder at higher rpms. Put a new flex plate and torque converter in but it did nothing to the issue.
Thinking it might be time to take it to the dealer because I am stumped!!

Audio file with noise is below!

Any ideas are welcome

See below for more details

I dropped the transmission to see a perfectly good flexplate, went ahead and replaced it anyway because I already had the part. Figured if it was not the flexplate it could have been the torque convert ( yes it was seated all the way but see below for potential issue) so I put a new one in. Got it all back together today and started it..... same noise....It is still coming from what I believe the bell housing but could be the very very back of the engine or the very very front of the transmission.

When seating the torque converter I got it in the first click and spent forever to get it to go in all the way. When it was only partially in it sounded fine spinning but when seated all the way there was a grinding noise when I spun it by hand but the noise would go away if I pushed up and supported the converter (the torque converter was fully behind the transmision case). When i mated it with the flex plate it did not make any noise when turning it over by hand.

I would love any ideas. At this point I think it might be a damaged transmission pump splines (due to the weird noise after second click of torque converter). It could be the very back of the engine making the noise though, did not want to remove the rear seal if there was no need because there is no leak.

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
video-1481409552.mp3 (183.8 KB, 239 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 AM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eli.Jp
Hello everyone,
I posted a little while back due to the same issue and the popular openion was cracked flexplate (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...converter.html)

I have noise coming from the bell housing that gets louder and louder at higher rpms. Put a new flex plate and torque converter in but it did nothing to the issue.
Thinking it might be time to take it to the dealer because I am stumped!!

Audio file with noise is below!

Any ideas are welcome

See below for more details

I dropped the transmission to see a perfectly good flexplate, went ahead and replaced it anyway because I already had the part. Figured if it was not the flexplate it could have been the torque convert ( yes it was seated all the way but see below for potential issue) so I put a new one in. Got it all back together today and started it..... same noise....It is still coming from what I believe the bell housing but could be the very very back of the engine or the very very front of the transmission.

When seating the torque converter I got it in the first click and spent forever to get it to go in all the way. When it was only partially in it sounded fine spinning but when seated all the way there was a grinding noise when I spun it by hand but the noise would go away if I pushed up and supported the converter (the torque converter was fully behind the transmision case). When i mated it with the flex plate it did not make any noise when turning it over by hand.

I would love any ideas. At this point I think it might be a damaged transmission pump splines (due to the weird noise after second click of torque converter). It could be the very back of the engine making the noise though, did not want to remove the rear seal if there was no need because there is no leak.
I'm not familiar with the transmission in your 07 E150. Does it have an inspection plate or a small plate to remove to get to the flexplate bolts? I had a unrelated vehicle that I thought for sure had a rod knock, but it turned out that the transmission inspection plate was slightly bent and the flexplate bolts would touch it only at certain rpms.