Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally... New owner of 2003 Excursion 6.0L - Rebuild progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:23 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost pulled my hear out, hard to find wheels that I like... Might just go with these

Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Just want to get FTE opinion on wheels... What do you think about this style? Yes, they might be outdated style but they look good to me... I don't want to put black that everyone has nowadays.

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2017, 03:51 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
It has a nice stance and looks good to me.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by hwybee22
It has a nice stance and looks good to me.
Thanks... Trying to figure out what brand they are and specs...

Old 01-06-2017, 05:38 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I don't have any real issues with the looks of those aftermarket wheels but...........With all the work you have done with your EX's facelift and updates I would think a nice set of late model 20"s would look best on it. I am typically a fan of the OEM offerings though.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I don't have any real issues with the looks of those aftermarket wheels but...........With all the work you have done with your EX's facelift and updates I would think a nice set of late model 20"s would look best on it. I am typically a fan of the OEM offerings though.
I was going to go with OEMs from late models but reading forum seems like I need to put spacers for best fitment that I'm totally against it.

Thanks for your opinion

Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by shurik74
I was going to go with OEMs from late models but reading forum seems like I need to put spacers for best fitment that I'm totally against it.

Thanks for your opinion

I had to make that same choice a few years back, and I had/have my own reasons, now I'm curious as to what your reasons are for not using a set of wheel spacers/adapters.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:04 PM
shurik74
Senior User
I had to make that same choice a few years back, and I had/have my own reasons, now I'm curious as to what your reasons are for not using a set of wheel spacers/adapters.
well... wheels are critical piece of the vehicle, I approach it carefully. People using them and everybody has own opinion & experience that we have to respect.

I tried to make a quick write up but getting longer & longer, I decided to share this link instead

Wheel Spacers For Wider Tires - Pros and Cons

Old 01-09-2017, 03:45 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
well... wheels are critical piece of the vehicle, I approach it carefully. People using them and everybody has own opinion & experience that we have to respect.

I tried to make a quick write up but getting longer & longer, I decided to share this link instead

Wheel Spacers For Wider Tires - Pros and Cons

Understood, I opted to not run any spacers/adapters on my rig due the fact that I tow heavy (11,000lb TT) and I had slightly less than total faith in a set of 2" spacers and late model OEM 18/20" wheels. I was then very lucky to find a set of the '04 OEM 18" wheels that do not require spacers to fit our wagons properly because they originally came on the '04 SD pickup with leaf spring suspension just like ours. Been a very happy camper ever since, but.............
The spacers that we would need for late model SD OEM wheels to fit our rigs are doing a slightly different job than the linked article talks about. These spacers are actually just relocating the mating surface to match the older wheels, they don't impart the additional stress on the steering and suspension like the ones discussed that are pushing the wheels farther out to fit wider wheels and tires. The application here on our EXs is very different than what the link describes on the Yotas.
We also have some very strong spacer/adapter options available with time tested good reputations. And we have the choice of high quality billet aluminum or solid steel adapters from vendors like Fred.
The more that I've seen, read and learned about the whole spacer/adapter question for the use of late model OEM SD wheels on our EXs, the more comfortable I've become with the idea. If making my choice now I would only have to decide what wheels I liked that were available and the cost difference between the '04 ones that I have and the available late model take offs and the cost of quality spacers. I think using the right spacer/adapter in combination with the OEM wheels is a safe option. But of course, it's your rig and money, so it's your call.

And your rig is coming along very well, great looking EX!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Understood, I opted to not run any spacers/adapters on my rig due the fact that I tow heavy (11,000lb TT) and I had slightly less than total faith in a set of 2" spacers and late model OEM 18/20" wheels. I was then very lucky to find a set of the '04 OEM 18" wheels that do not require spacers to fit our wagons properly because they originally came on the '04 SD pickup with leaf spring suspension just like ours. Been a very happy camper ever since, but.............
The spacers that we would need for late model SD OEM wheels to fit our rigs are doing a slightly different job than the linked article talks about. These spacers are actually just relocating the mating surface to match the older wheels, they don't impart the additional stress on the steering and suspension like the ones discussed that are pushing the wheels farther out to fit wider wheels and tires. The application here on our EXs is very different than what the link describes on the Yotas.
We also have some very strong spacer/adapter options available with time tested good reputations. And we have the choice of high quality billet aluminum or solid steel adapters from vendors like Fred.
The more that I've seen, read and learned about the whole spacer/adapter question for the use of late model OEM SD wheels on our EXs, the more comfortable I've become with the idea. If making my choice now I would only have to decide what wheels I liked that were available and the cost difference between the '04 ones that I have and the available late model take offs and the cost of quality spacers. I think using the right spacer/adapter in combination with the OEM wheels is a safe option. But of course, it's your rig and money, so it's your call.

And your rig is coming along very well, great looking EX!
Thanks for info!!! I'll put wheels upgrade for later, need to get my Ex going and register for now...

Old 01-11-2017, 09:26 PM
shurik74
Senior User
Currently we are struggling with cowl & wiper linkage installation that has to be done with front end conversion to 2011+, no online documentation related to this I was able to find, only "... use from 2008-2015 model year" that require complicated modifications that I did not expect.

Does anyone know where I can find more info or had experience with it?

Thank you in advance...

Old 01-11-2017, 09:35 PM
5.9and6.0
Freshman User
Great build.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:11 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Currently we are struggling with cowl & wiper linkage installation that has to be done with front end conversion to 2011+, no online documentation related to this I was able to find, only "... use from 2008-2015 model year" that require complicated modifications that I did not expect.

Thank you in advance...

Maybe one of these face lifted Ex owners can help with the cowl/wiper conversion. @hwybee22 @5HUB

Old 01-13-2017, 10:00 AM
hwybee22
Posting Guru

Thank you in advance...
This should help

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ect-build.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...5-build-6.html

Old 01-14-2017, 10:17 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...015-build.html

I used this thread, page 5 for the wiper linkage

Quick Reply: Finally... New owner of 2003 Excursion 6.0L - Rebuild progress