2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Rear Tail Gate Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:01 PM
landcrazy
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Rear Tail Gate Chrome

My truck is a 2017 SD 350 CC KR with painted bumpers, IMO the rear tailgate was poorly presented with just a single 6 inch x 6 inch emblem "king ranch" all the while the front grill space is bright chrome. So, alas, an idea, order the rear chrome applica to balance the truck. The part #HC32-99425A34-BA, with a dealer price of $450.00
The part came in a long 8 foot box, and well padded. On inspection the chrome piece had several obvious problems with direct application.
1.) outside diameter tabs
2.) central spacing shaft
3.) Ford logo mounting arms

No problem though, all of these were part of a "plastic" backing that is "double sided" tape.
Plan: use a heat gun and slowly under medium heat begin at one corner and heat up plastic back, then gently pull back about 6 inches at a time. Clip to protruding plastic tabs and Ford emblem mounting tabs flush to back of chrome applica.

Once all plastic removed, (pic), use 1 inch 3M outdoor extreme tape to place along outer border, (pic).

Mark the tailgate since the applica is narrow vs the tailgate width. Center and stick, remembering equal pressure necessary to apply and remember to use de greaser or similar to clean the tail gate surface before application of the double sided tape.

BEST IN THE WORLD!

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-05-2016, 05:06 PM
TenTex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job, looks great!

Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 PM
achec
Senior User
a lot of people don't like that chrome piece but i like it on my platinum.
great mod.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 PM
nascarjimmy
Senior User
nice job!

Old 07-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Krdoug
New User
Thanks landcrazy

I just completed this modification of adding the chrome to my king Ranch and it is as he states in this thread the only thing I did different was I added adhesive along with the tape big dabs of urethane.One other thing I want to add which he stated in his red dry fit and tape for a guy before installation
😀😀😀

Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM
DranSuperDuty
New User
Thanks to landcrazy & Krdoug for this mod info.
Quick question - do either of you have a pic that you could show the community that shows the back-side of the panel with protruding tabs etc BEFORE modifying and making it all flush?

Many thanks

Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 AM
afonz
New User
How exactly does this come apart???

@DranSuperDuty Here are some photos of the back of the KR panel before removing the black plastic.

I too am about to complete this mod.

@landcrazy @Krdoug

Any more insight into how you removed this black plastic without ruining the metal part?

Last edited by afonz; 04-03-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-03-2019, 11:05 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
More gooder now ..

Old 04-03-2019, 11:14 AM
DranSuperDuty
New User
afonz, I believe that landcrazy indicated in his first post that he used a heat gun to separate the plastic. He is the best one to answer that since he and Krdoug have completed the mod.

As for me, I was never able to complete the mod because my part was received damaged (see picture below) and I had to return it. Encountered substantial difficulty in getting a refund on the part. Since then (which was around Christmas time) I have not been able to find the part because it was on national back order.

afonz, where did you get the part (Tailgate Applique HC3Z-99425A34-BA) ???

Old 04-03-2019, 05:37 PM
afonz
New User
thats a bummer. I got mine on Kijiji.
it seems the metal tabs are whats holding it on. what was your technique with the heat gun?

Last edited by afonz; 04-03-2019 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added clarity
Old 04-03-2019, 06:43 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by DranSuperDuty
where did you get the part (Tailgate Applique HC3Z-99425A34-BA) ???
Not the best price, but a seller currently has 7 of them available if you search that PN on eBay. I wouldn't buy it there, but I do like this mod.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:16 PM
DranSuperDuty
New User
afonz,
Take a look at land crazy's first post in this thread. He was the one that indicated the heat gun technique, not me. I repeat, that I have not done the mod myself.

cficare,
There was a vendor on eBay that listed 7 of them at the time I bought. That's probably the same vendor I used, but I will NOT state the seller's name/company. They did NOT have the part actually on hand but had to get it from another dealer. Re-read my comment about my experience with receiving a damaged part. I'd steer clear.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DranSuperDuty
cficare ........... I'd steer clear.
I did say I wouldn't buy one there. I'm now thinking I won't be doing this mod at all. The Tufskinz inserts are no longer available, so I wouldn't be able to match the caribou "SUPER DUTY' inserts already installed across the bottom of my tailgate. That may sound trivial, but it's a deal-breaker for me.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 AM
Swampyankee
Junior User
Appliqué install...purchased from Ford dealer, 3m outdoor extra strength tape from Amazon. 5 rolls. Clean well. Very well! 3m adhesion promoter #4298 from amazon 5 pk. Not a bad job. Will take 2 at certain points

Old 06-16-2019, 02:21 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by cficare
I did say I wouldn't buy one there. I'm now thinking I won't be doing this mod at all. The Tufskinz inserts are no longer available, so I wouldn't be able to match the caribou "SUPER DUTY' inserts already installed across the bottom of my tailgate. That may sound trivial, but it's a deal-breaker for me.
Dang y'all for posting this mod I wanna' do because Tufskinz are now back online with Ford's blessing. Now I gotta' decide if this mod is worth those $$$ to me.

Quick Reply: 2017 Rear Tail Gate Chrome