6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

egr modification

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 04:30 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
egr modification

so before I start, let it be known that my local does diesel emissions testing so the deletes and such is not possible.

I m working on my truck to do the rocker replacement and that put me very close to understanding most of the accessories on the 6.4.

right now, I have a coolant filter, a 2 micro oil filter, and an air dog.

the 2 micron oil filter taps a little oil from the filter cap, sends it thru a filter, then sends it to a fitting on the filler cap. the filter works pretty good.

so now, the egr system. the con's aside from heating up intake air is that there is a potential coolant into the engine entry point under some egr fail conditions. back to that in a minute.

oil dilution problem. studies have shown that oil dilution impact varies depending on short trips or long trips. reason being on long trips oil is heated up better and boils off the fuel. the vapors get sucked into the intake via crank case ventilation. studies have also shown that fuel dilution of oil is agrevated by short trips due to short trips prevent the oil from reaching operating temps for enough time to boil off the fuel.

The EGR modification so it dwaned on me....solving two problems with one modification. instead of using coolant in the egr, use oil. The pro's are using oil in the egr will help heat up the oil to operating temps sooner and longer which will help fuel dilution by boiling off the fuel. another pro is if the egr fails....instead of having coolant contaminate the oil system as would occur if the egr was coolant cooled....oil would contaminate the oil system...so no milking of the oil system would occur.

to do this would be as simple as disconnecting the existing coolant lines and instead using the oil flow lines from my oil by pass filter. the oil is cooled substantially as a result of the travel to the oil bypass filter and if I wanted more cooling I could add a small transmission cooler.

the existing coolant hoses that would become unused would be a great place to put a coolant filter .

Attached Images