chenge of a distributor on 4.9L 300 Cu

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 PM
Yaesu
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chenge of a distributor on 4.9L 300 Cu

hi,there is a problem with starting up engine on Ford econoline E-150.i thought it was distributor and replaced it with new one.do we need to adjust timing if we replaced distributor?

Old 11-09-2016, 10:08 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Hello Yaesu, welcome to the forums.

Any time you mess with the distributor, you should check the timing.

Either way, for us to help, you need to provide more information. Your issue is very vague at best.

For starters, why did you think it was the distributor?
What year is your truck?
Does it start and run with the new distributor?
Why do you still think there is a problem?

Old 11-09-2016, 10:09 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Yaesu!

Any time the distributor is moved, such as when replacing, the timing will need to be reset.

The question remains: is the no-start problem due to timing or something else? Was it not starting prior to replacing the distributor?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Yaesu
New User
Hi, Let me give you more info.On saturday the engine suddenly stopped on the road.It was cranking but did not start.I towed it to my house.We checked spark with my friend.There is no spark.Changed distributor still not spark,changed coil but spark didnt come back.Mechanic said it is wiring problem or computer it will be to expensive to fix .he said 1600$ to fix.So i decided to detect and fix problem myself.Have background in electronic engineering.About van : Ford Econoline E-150 1988 4.9L 300Cu .
I was at work and didnot have much time to mess with truck.During holidays will look closer what to do.And wanted to know about timing and how to set it correctly on this engine.And if anyone has schematic diagram of ignition that would be helpful too.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:34 AM
AbandonedBronco
First things first, you need to rule out that you didn't shred your timing gears. They're fiber, and they can disintegrate after a lot of miles, which will make the engine suddenly die.

To test this, take the cap off of the distributor. Then, turn the engine over a few times and be sure that the distributor rotates appropriately with the engine. If it does not move, or moves in small amounts randomly, then you more than likely lost your timing gear teeth and will need to remedy that problem.

If that's the case, you'll need to drop the oil pan and clean out all the pieces of fiber and teeth. Then, remove the radiator, pull the harmonic balancer, remove the timing cover, and then pull off the timing gears and replace them with new ones. The 300 is a non-interference engine, so there should be no issues with the engine and you should be able to button it all up and fire it right back up.

If it's not the timing gears, then you could always try a different ECU from the junk yard. However, just randomly dying on the spot seems like a strange symptom for an ECU. At least, in my experience.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Yaesu
New User
Hi When i replaced distributor .I made check you mentioned.It was turning well as i was cranking engine.Does it mean that timing and distributor ok?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:51 AM
AbandonedBronco
Ok good.

Yes, that more than likely means it's okay. Unlike most other engines, there is no chain, so the timing cannot skip a tooth. The 300 is gear to gear, so skipping a tooth would mean some pretty catastrophic damage to the timing gears.

If the engine turning properly turns the distributor, then yeah, sounds like it's solid.

Now, when you put the distributor back in, how did you put it in? Did you put it in the same way it came out? Or did you reset the timing to base 0 and start from scratch?

It's very possible that you simply stripped the distributor gear pin (which I've done, and it's an instant engine kill) and the old distributor was pointing in any of the random directions. So, if you put it back in the way it came out, you'd be pointing the new distributor in the wrong direction and you'll need to set the timing from scratch.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Yaesu
New User
thanks.Is there any instructions how to set timing properly on those engines?

Old 11-09-2016, 12:10 PM
AbandonedBronco
Yes, it's quite simple. However, I'm not sure if it's different on an EFI (although I don't think it is).

1: Remove the #1 spark plug and rotate the engine clockwise until you feel compression in the cylinder. This will insure that it's on the compression stroke.

2: Bring the #1 cylinder up to the very top. You can do this by placing a screwdriver in the spark plug hole and turning the engine until it peaks out. Or, I just shine a flashlight down the hole and look at it. You can see when it's at the top.

3: Look at your timing marks. The timing mark on the balancer should be at the 0 timing mark on the engine (or close to it). If it's NOT, then your harmonic balancer is slipped and it should be replaced before continuing.

4: Rotate the engine slightly until the timing is where you want it, generally around 10°. So, the mark on the harmonic balancer should be pointing to the 10° tick on the engine.

5: Point the rotor on the distributor in the direction of the #1 spark plug post on the cap.

6: Insert the distributor into the engine. You may have to try a few different angles or rock the engine slightly to get it to go in.

7: Remove the rotor from the distributor.

8: Look down the distributor and rotate it slightly until the closest arm on the stator (the six armed star down at the bottom) is lined up between the two marks on the magnetic pick up.

9: Put everything back together and fire it up.

After that, you can remove the SPOUT connector and check your timing with a timing light, but it should be very close to where you want it.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:23 PM
Yaesu
New User
Do i need to take radiator off to see timing marks?

Old 11-09-2016, 12:26 PM
AbandonedBronco
No, not at all.

There's a notch on the harmonic balancer and then the timing marks are on the timing cover on the driver's side of the engine. If the engine is dirty, you may need to clean it off to see them.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:06 AM
Yaesu
New User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
No, not at all.

There's a notch on the harmonic balancer and then the timing marks are on the timing cover on the driver's side of the engine. If the engine is dirty, you may need to clean it off to see them.
thanks. Quick question. Why distributor is attached to engine with only one bolt.there is only one bolt i see on my truck.isti it should be like this or there is clamp or other thing missing on my truck?
by the way didnt see any cylinder marks on distributor itself. There is only one sign on cap "1" . Thats all.how to set rotor pointing to 1 st cylinder?

Old 11-12-2016, 08:53 AM
AbandonedBronco
The distributor should have a clamp and then a bolt that goes through the clamp. It's nothing fancy. That's all it needs to stay in place.

The clamp on mine is about 1/2" thick and about 1" wide/long.

This is an aftermarket one, but it's very similar:

That's all it needs.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Yaesu
New User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
The distributor should have a clamp and then a bolt that goes through the clamp. It's nothing fancy. That's all it needs to stay in place.

The clamp on mine is about 1/2" thick and about 1" wide/long.

This is an aftermarket one, but it's very similar:

That's all it needs.
do you know where i can order one? Do not want to go to junkyards for this..

Old 11-12-2016, 09:16 AM
AbandonedBronco
I did a quick search on google but not much came up, however, there are a bunch of generic ones that will more than likely work. Ask your local autoparts store if they have a universal. If not, try one from a 302 or 351 v8 from the same era.

Quick Reply: chenge of a distributor on 4.9L 300 Cu