2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Question about GVWR in CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Looneybin
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question about GVWR in CA

Okay guys, be kind. I've got a dumb blonde question for y'all, and being blonde (and female) and buying my first truck, I need some help...

I'm buying an F350 (thanks to so many of you who generously helped me with making that decision) and I can't get my head wrapped around the GVWR and the CA DMV fees.

Would having the 11,400 GVWR package benefit me with regard to the CA DMV fees? I've looked at the California DMV website and it looks like it might make a difference, but I asked the dealer and he said it wouldn't. He should know, but I'd feel better if I had someone else's opinion on this. So I'm asking if anyone from this forum could lend a hand to this confused lady.

If it matters, I'm getting an F350, diesel, SRW.

Thanks so much!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:40 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looneybin
Okay guys, be kind. I've got a dumb blonde question for y'all, and being blonde (and female) and buying my first truck, I need some help...

I'm buying an F350 (thanks to so many of you who generously helped me with making that decision) and I can't get my head wrapped around the GVWR and the CA DMV fees.

Would having the 11,400 GVWR package benefit me with regard to the CA DMV fees? I've looked at the California DMV website and it looks like it might make a difference, but I asked the dealer and he said it wouldn't. He should know, but I'd feel better if I had someone else's opinion on this. So I'm asking if anyone from this forum could lend a hand to this confused lady.

Thanks so much!
Your dealer is correct. I made my dealer order my F350 with the 11,400 GVWR. Then after reading these forums I found out it is not required as long as the trunk is used as a personal vehicle and not commercially. So the answer is no you don't need the 11,400 GVWR sticker in California. I was told this is stated in the California regulations.

Anyway nice truck and we will have kindred spirites in Cali!

Old 11-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Rheingar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Looneybin

Thanks so much!
MOTOR CARRIER PERMIT:

Super duty trucks are considered motor trucks by CA because their unladen weight is over 8,000 lbs. Two law changes made on January 1, 2015 and January 1, 2016 made the difference between 11,400 and 11,500 lbs irrelevant for super duty trucks. The Motor Carrier Permit law now reads:

"Motor trucks or two-axle truck tractors, with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds, when operated singly, or when used to tow a camp or utility trailer, a trailer coach, a fifth-wheel travel trailer, or a trailer designed to transport a watercraft, and is never operated commercially."

You can identify CA dealerships that is not aware of the law change because all their super duty trucks have the 11,400 lb GVWR downgrades on them.

WEIGHT FEES:

For weight fee purposes all trucks with open beds are considered commercial vehicles. For commercial vehicles with GVWR over 10,000 lbs the weight fees increase every 5,000 lbs (i.e. 10,001 - 15,000 lbs $332, 15,001 - 20,000 lbs $447). Therefore, choosing 11,400 lbs instead of 11,500 lbs will not make a difference on weight fees.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Looneybin
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks so much for responding, guys! I realize the dealer should know this information, but you'd be amazed at how many of them tried to convince me that the premium vinyl flooring was actually carpet. So I turned to the experts, and you came through for me.

I placed the order yesterday and got the VIN number this morning. I may have my new truck for the holidays!

Thanks again for taking the time to help answer my question. I really appreciate it!