Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

New Ignition Key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Ignition Key?

My 2016 key fob has the "switchblade" key and the lock/unlock remote, is it possible to have a local key grinder duplicate the key portion into a regular steel one piece key or do i have to buy one of the smart keys. Id like to have a spare key that i can hide in the event i lose my fob.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
I don't know, but it's a dang good question, and I'm interested in what people will say.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:26 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
I went to a local locksmith and had a third key made, cost me $120. Dealer quoted me $250 for a spare key. Can find the blank key/FOB on ebay for $50-$60, find out how much a locksmith would charge to only cut it.

As far as just the key without the fob, I don't know if they can be purchased, never looked.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:44 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Yes you can get a key without a fob and get them cut. I have one, my truck is push button start. it is a royal pain to get the "little" key out. I have 3 bolt locks plus occasionally lock the glove box. Most locksmiths have the key and can cut them.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:59 AM
benwalt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TJReams
Yes you can get a key without a fob and get them cut. I have one, my truck is push button start. it is a royal pain to get the "little" key out. I have 3 bolt locks plus occasionally lock the glove box. Most locksmiths have the key and can cut them.

My understanding is that the ITK key (AKA "switchblade") is different than the little key insert for push button start vehicles. I had an extra ITK key cut and programmed by my local locksmith.

He did the "two previous keys" programming after he cut it, not because I couldn't do it myself, but because he's a thorough kind of guy who likes to make sure his stuff works. He's also into explaining security. That included showing me what happens when you use an unprogrammed keyhead. When he put the unprogrammed key in the door and unlocked it, the alarm went off. He also then put it in the ignition and the engine wouldn't start. I think the alarm went off again too.

So while you can apparently get a plain key for a push button start F-150, you cannot do so for an ITK F-150.

IIRC, I paid around the same as 02FX4Dude for mine. I keep it hidden in the cab to the point where it's a pain in the *** for me to get to it (so hopefully too much trouble for a break and enter kind of thief). If I ever lose my regular key, all I have to do is use the door keypad (thank you Ford for being one of the few manufacturers to offer the option!) and then dig out the spare.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Thorium
Senior User
If im understanding the owners manual, the auto start/push button start fobs, you cannot just cut a key but on the plain or regular fob, it might be possible to just having a key cut. I agree with the above, i also have the drivers door keypad, this should allow the alarm to turn off and allow entry, then the new plain key, without the fob should be able to start the vehicle. I will try a locksmith when i get a chance, ill post back with what i find out.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:55 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Well I haven't tried to unlock the door with mine alone. No need to I either have the fob clipped to my belt or I use the keypad. There is only 3 slots on my truck, drivers door, console and glove box. Plus the mentioned Bolt locks, 2 are cable locks for the ramps and one is on my receiver hitch. I did unlock the drivers door once but I had the fob on me, so no problem with the alarm. I have always kept a plain key on a separate ring in my pocket along with the house key just to unlock the door in an emergency, as in I locked my keys in the truck. I used to keep it in my wallet until the got so dang long. Also back in the old days before double pin lock cylinders came along I had each side cut to a different vehicle. I could unlock and drive 4 different cars/trucks with just 2 keys. You can't do that anymore with the new double pinned cyinders.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Thorium
Senior User
Just got back from the orange diy store and there key section. I had them make me a house key but my intent was to also see if they could do a car key. The machine they have is slick, its all computer controlled, you insert the key you want to copy and it will tell you what blank to use and before it will even cut the key, you have to scan the barcode of the blank before it will cut. Having said that, i asked to see if they can cut me my truck key, they said yes but it has a chip in it, and they do have blanks with the chips, $40 apparently. I had her insert my current key/fob into the machine for it to scan it, it came back as key error, the key inserted is not cut?? So, even if they had a blank, chipped or not, the machine would not cut it because this key is coming back as an uncut key. Can anyone share where they had there keys made, i dont mean what locksmith but if you had it done at a box store or similar. I have found through 9009le that ace hardware will and can cut the keys, dont know, dont shop there. Thanks

Old 10-30-2016, 11:39 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
I would want an extra key to lock and unlock the center console easier. Inconvenient to disassemble the keyfob to lock the console.

Josh

Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Thorium
Just got back from the orange diy store and there key section. I had them make me a house key but my intent was to also see if they could do a car key. The machine they have is slick, its all computer controlled, you insert the key you want to copy and it will tell you what blank to use and before it will even cut the key, you have to scan the barcode of the blank before it will cut. Having said that, i asked to see if they can cut me my truck key, they said yes but it has a chip in it, and they do have blanks with the chips, $40 apparently. I had her insert my current key/fob into the machine for it to scan it, it came back as key error, the key inserted is not cut?? So, even if they had a blank, chipped or not, the machine would not cut it because this key is coming back as an uncut key. Can anyone share where they had there keys made, i dont mean what locksmith but if you had it done at a box store or similar. I have found through 9009le that ace hardware will and can cut the keys, dont know, dont shop there. Thanks
Must be only some Ace hardware stores. I tried the one not far from my house they advertised cutting chipped keys, they took one look and said no. The local place that did do my key/FOB said it was the first of the 2015 F150's he had done(about a month ago), he had to order the key/FOB but had the machine to do it. He was also surprised it could be programmed with the two factory keys, said most Ford's now can't do that, he has to use his laptop/software. I think he also said all 2017 Fords will use proximity keys/push button start but I'm not sure I see Ford doing that on the lower trim models.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:32 PM
Thorium
Senior User
I managed to find some part #'s for replacement keys only, they do have chips but no buttons, just a chip in the plastic head of the key. The $ range is anywhere from $10-$30, not including the cutting. I will post #'s if anyone would like them but i dont want to create any problems for anyone, myself included due to the fact i havent tried any of these yet, they are unconfirmed. These keys, which are all made roughly the same would be a hell of alot easier to carry in ones pocket than the fairly bulky and heavy fob. Im attaching a pic of the key below.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:02 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Here is a picture of my key fob and the CHIPLESS key I had cut at a LOCKSMITH.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Thorium
Senior User
Here is a picture of my key fob and the CHIPLESS key I had cut at a LOCKSMITH.
TJReams, with your fob, are you required to have it with you at all times to start your truck or does the key without the chip allow your to start it? I have the simple 3 button fob, no auto start, mines a 2016 if that matters any, can i go to a locksmith and have him make me a regular key without the chip?? Your opinion would be aprecriatted

Old 11-02-2016, 07:29 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
There is no key slot to start the truck, you must have a fob. Yes on yours you can get just a plain key cut it will unlock everything even turn the ignition however it will not start it.
Even the "switch blade" keys can have a plain key cut to simply unlock things.
On all my vehicles that didn't have a unlocking keypad on them I carried a spare unchipped key in my pocket with my house key / shop key ring (I never left it anywhere).
I use a belt clip for my Keys that have fobs because I always set the alarm off or unlock the door, etc when I carry them in my pocket.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Thorium
Senior User
There is no key slot to start the truck, you must have a fob. Yes on yours you can get just a plain key cut it will unlock everything even turn the ignition however it will not start it.
Even the "switch blade" keys can have a plain key cut to simply unlock things.
On all my vehicles that didn't have a unlocking keypad on them I carried a spare unchipped key in my pocket with my house key / shop key ring (I never left it anywhere).
I use a belt clip for my Keys that have fobs because I always set the alarm off or unlock the door, etc when I carry them in my pocket.
Great. Thanks for the info, so if i understand, i still need my fob in close proximity to start the truck? If i get the chipped key, i would not then need the fob but with an unchipped key, fob is required. Sorry, had to clarify. Cheers.

Quick Reply: New Ignition Key?