1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hutch & Harpoon Mods completed today. (Write up / Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Hutch & Harpoon Mods completed today. (Write up / Pics)

Here we go. It took me 4 1/2 hrs start to finished.

Dropped the tank. Normal culprit.

All I had to disconnect was the fuel lines. My tank didn't have the vent tubes. They were plugged off with a ford part number plug. I wasn't expecting that. But hey one less thing to worry about.

Took a picture of how far the tubes stick down for the harpoon mod. The ratcheting pvc cutters worked great.

Of course while dropping the tank the rubber hose between the filler neck and the tank broke off. My dad ran to Autozone and found a hose that works perfectly. Have pics of the part numbers just in case someone else needs to do the same.

My son wanted to get in the action. So he helped get the broken filler hose off.

Started on the sending unit. Had a little problem getting the return line bent. That stainless is hard for sure. But went pretty good I think. I didn't think the filters were that bad. But who knows how long this junk has been in there. Also vacuum tested the assembly to make sure no leaks after install. (Thanks for the tip Rich!!!)

So here we go. Have everything all back together ready to go.

Made a small mount for the Racor. Mounted up and ready to go.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Primed before starting.

Cranked right up. I can't believe on how much quieter the engine is. It's really unbelievable. Anyways. Here is a small snap shot of the hose I bought. Nice quality. Got it at O'Riellys. $4.49 a foot with my discount.

If anybody has any questions please let me know. I am by no means an expert. But will help as much as I can as everybody on this site does.

Special thanks to Rich and John who answered many phone calls on getting the supplies around and getting it done.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:04 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

So Hose I bought at O'Riellys
Injector clampscopper unions, new rubber fill hose, regular hose clamps were Autozone.
Stainless steel tubing I ordered from Amazon along with the lisle angled fuel disconnects.
Ratcheting pvc cutter was Menards.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:10 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Sleeping over the night I thought of a few things I would change if I dropped the tank again. I measured from the bottom of the tank to the lip on were the sender screws down. My tank was 13 1/2". I think I cut the pick up tube so it's 1/2" off the bottom of the tank. But there is no way to really tell. Now that I am thinking about it I guess I could have put my scope down through one of the vent holes and seen how far it is. (Always get the ideas afterwards). Anyways so I hope it is as close to the bottom of the tank as I could. I didn't install the foot again either, not sure if I would change that or not.

I forgot to install loom over the gas line but that's not a biggie. The line is loose enough I can slide it on no problem.

And lastly the where the rubber line meets the pick up on the sending unit I didn't cut off the ridge from the old connection. So I couldn't get the hose on past that spot. It is still double clamped but I wish that connection was a little more solid.

Anyways just observations, hopefully it benefits someone down the road.

So here's your guys chance. Tell me what I did wrong

Old 10-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,412 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Excellent pictures. And great follow up points on the details.

I haven't seen or read everything on the web, but yours are the absolute clearest photos of what the "Harpoon" mod entails inside the tank that I have ever seen. Without a doubt, your posts and pics will help future searchers figure out what the Harpoon mod is all about, since most write ups focus more on the "Hutch" (named after Hutchinson, the co-inventor from Augusta Georgia) portion of this popular two part tandem mod.

Well deserved reps are headed your way Seth!

Old 10-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Thank you sir. I normally forget to take pictures, but kept the phone handy this time. I am glad they turned out well.

So without running the foot does anybody have any thought on how close to the bottom of the tank is too close? I appreciate the help of Rich who graciously answered my call yesterday when I was doing this. Just curious as to others thoughts.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you notice a benefit

Nice work,

Did you notice any benefit from doing these modifications? I had my socks changed about a year ago. If i would have known the benefit of the Hutch mod, i would have strongly considered it.

How is the harpoon mod doing for you? Is it necessary to cut the vent pipe so short?

BBD

Old 10-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Big Black Dually
Nice work,

Did you notice any benefit from doing these modifications? I had my socks changed about a year ago. If i would have known the benefit of the Hutch mod, i would have strongly considered it.

How is the harpoon mod doing for you? Is it necessary to cut the vent pipe so short?

BBD

I have noticed that at idle the truck is a lot quieter. Gone is the loud crackling sound that the injectors made while passing the air. I suppose you could cut the vent line as short or long as you want. I only cut it like that because it what was done in the posts that I read. I haven't filled up since the Harpoon. I was at 1/4 tank since the foot was broken. Have been running it down. I am leaving for camping pulling the camper so I want to get my range down again since I have been filling up at 1/4 tank. Will at least see if I can bring it down to the low fuel light at least so I know for future.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Small update.

Surprising on how much junk gets in your tank. This is after like 15 miles.

And as a result of the hard work I filled up today. The max I have ever put in this truck was 26 gallons. See for yourself without any effort. Hopefully that will add at least 40 miles to the tank. Now if this mod could only improve gas mileage ��

As of right now I am thoroughly pleased with the mod.

How often are we supposed to change the filter in the Racor? And does anybody have a part number.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Tank size

[QUOTE=Firefighter 1406;16653789]I have noticed that at idle the truck is a lot quieter. Gone is the loud crackling sound that the injectors made while passing the air. I suppose you could cut the vent line as short or long as you want. I only cut it like that because it what was done in the posts that I read. I haven't filled up since the Harpoon. I was at 1/4 tank since the foot was broken. Have been running it down. I am leaving for camping pulling the camper so I want to get my range down again since I have been filling up at 1/4 tank. Will at least see if I can bring it down to the low fuel light at least so I know for future

The most that I have been able to put in my tank is around 40.5 gallons. But the guage was well below E. It took me a while too, due to no Harpoon mod.

Any one live near the Rockford Illinois area, intrested in doing the Hutch and Harpoon mods on my 2002 F350 dually ? ? Cash Money...

It sounds like if someone did the Hutch mod, the FRx would no longer be necessary? Or would someone still see a benefit from the FRx and the Hutch?

BBD

Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,474 Likes on 2,858 Posts
Your experiences and results are nearly identical to what I saw. Much quieter idle and running engine, debris in the Racor after a short period and I can fill my tank with 32 gallons when on empty now. Also, the tank fill tube does not puke fuel all over the place anymore.

This should be one of the very first things done to the truck.

I also enlarged the fill neck/hole to allow for tractor trailer sized nozzles. This allows me to pull into Pilot/Flying J commercial diesel pumps and fill up very quickly and easily when towing our 5th wheel.

Good work brother, I knew you would be happy with the results.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:51 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I made my own lines, much like yours, but you did a much better job of photographing and detailing what you did. I noticed a lot quieter running with mine, too. Nice job!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Nice Job

Yes nice job.

If someone added the FRx mod after doing the Hutch mod, would they notice any difference?

Old 10-19-2016, 10:09 AM
afonda
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you describe a little better how you plumbed in the Racor? was it the 1/2 or 3/8 inlet size?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Big Black Dually
Yes nice job.

If someone added the FRx mod after doing the Hutch mod, would they notice any difference?
I have heard if the hutch is done right there is no need for the FRx mod.

Quick Reply: Hutch & Harpoon Mods completed today. (Write up / Pics)