1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water Pump, Radiator, Coolant, and my experience...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Crims
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump, Radiator, Coolant, and my experience...

I'll start by apologizing for long posts. I get to typing and just don't stop. I also use this to make decisions about my issues whether I ultimately agree with you or not so don't take it personal when I don't agree.

Slightly more to the point. I bought my truck two years ago. Family had owned lots of diesels through the years and I also wanted one. So finally later in life I have mine. It was running and drive able when I bought it but it was neglected with 254,000 miles. I was handed some paper work on the new transmission when I handed the salesman cash. More on that to come. I have just hit 286,000 miles and I've replaced a lot in the last two years. Just needed to give you the back ground.

So last Sunday I notice a large damp spot on the concrete under the truck. It was coolant and was dripping off of the steering components. Without much research I ordered parts later that day. I got a Gates water pump, upper hose that doesn't run through the belt, lower hose, thermostat housing, thermostat, and radiator. I got the radiator because mine didn't have the trans cooler so I saw this as an opportunity to replace it while the coolant system was open.

Now to my lessons learned. First off just rent the fan clutch tool. I spent about an hour fooling with that thing using the tools I had and broke a strap wrench. Some would also recommend using a air chisel. I'll say this, it took less than 60 seconds to remove it once I returned with the clutch wrench.

Everything came apart just fine. Used a small air angle grinder and scrub pad to prep the front of the engine for the new water pump. Suppose I should mention here that I had already flushed the engine with the old parts on. No need to risk getting anything in the new parts.

Now to more lessons learned. The gates pump I bought had a lower hose elbow included. I knew to buy a new thermostat housing from what I read and of course a new thermostat. I did not buy a new heater hose connector and it was corroded. I probably would have ordered one had I thought of it. Instead it was more time with the angle grinder to clean it up and it still had pitting.

Also had to pull the sensor out of the old pump and install it in the new. Again I might have opted to replace it but it went in and it is working (I assume).

There are 3 different length bolts holding the water pump on so make sure you keep up with where they all go when you reassemble.

Not necessarily related to the water but it is to the radiator. I didn't order a new hose for the degas bottle and given that I was replacing all the other rubber I wish I had thought about that in the beggining as well. Now maybe I'm a poor planner but either way I'm giving you things to think about if you have to do this. I also had to do some serious cleaning of my degas bottle.

My leak

A couple of pictures. Alright. I hope I offered at least a few thoughts from my experience that will help a few. I welcome questions and comments. I will report back on the worth of the Gates water pump. Given that I just put over $100 of Final Charge Global Coolant in after all this I hope that it last.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:58 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note...

If you are changing the water pump and the truck has its factory LPOP it would be a good time to replace it.

After mine was replaced, my truck started faster and ran quieter and smoother.

Big Black Dually