1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Changing Dealer AC to Factory AC

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:39 AM
gbakman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Dealer AC to Factory AC

My 84 F150 has a dealer installed AC. It has the vents like factory but the rest of the system is not. I have located a very good factory system in a truck in a savage yard and if I can I would like to change to the factory system. Has anyone put a factory system in their truck that had NO AC or that had dealer installed and when to factory. Please provide details and if possible would like to talk with you. Thanks

Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,838 Posts
Wish I could say mine is up n running but it is not.
81 non ac truck and installed the factory ac from an 81 parts truck I bought.

First off know the firewalls are different. I swapped firewalls, a lot of work and skills to do that.
They say you can cut the needed holes and patch over the others but can't say as I did not do that but does look do able.

Controls are also different so you will need to get all that too. Parts truck was missing some of this but was able to get it thru members here.

I am on my phone but when I get home will try and post pictures of firewalls.
Dave - - - -

Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 AM
gbakman
Junior User
Dave, thanks for the info and appreciate the fast response and look forward to the pictures. And any info you may have to provide. Again Thanks

Old 10-03-2016, 11:01 AM
bcamill
Senior User
I have completed this project twice. Since you state that you have all of the vents in the correct area you are in better shape than I was. I had to get the entire dash and all ducting with vacuum motors to do it. Since you have dealer A/C, I am assuming you have the second hole in the firewall that allows for air to be gathered from the vent by the windshield. If not, then you can either cut it in or just use the A/C on MAX which pulls air from inside the cab. You will more than likely have to drill some new holes through the firewall to accept the A/C box. Now, I am not familiar with the dealer installed A/C, so you will probably need the accumulator and evaporator. You must replace the drier and the orifice. Hopefully the lines you have (if in good condition) will fit the new application. The compressor is fine if still working. Remember to put new O-Rings on all connections. Check the vacuum lines to ensure they are in good shape and move the motors properly. Once you get it all together you will have to have it tested for leaks and if good, have it filled. Oh ya, if the compressor you have is rated for R12 only, you will need to replace that as well. The 134A will kill it in short time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:59 PM
gbakman
Junior User
Any detailed info you can pass on would greatly be appreciated. I plan to take pictures and share as I get into this project. Hope someone else can benefit from my work and maybe save them some time and money. Thanks Again to all.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,723 Likes on 1,394 Posts
It's not easy. That's why they came up with the dealer installed system.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Here are the pictures

Factory AC box inside cab side

Factory AC box engine side

Factory AC firewall– note the black vacuum tree on the fire wallthis and a vacuum can on the inner fender well is part of the factory AC system

Non-AC firewall

This is the factory AC firewall I cut out to swap into theNon-AC truck

Next 2 pictures show the AC firewall over the Non-ACfirewall

AC firewall welded into the Non-AC cab

Firewall painted – it still has tape over some of theopenings to

AC box bolted back to firewall – inside

AC box bolted back to firewall – engine side

Dave ----

Old 10-03-2016, 04:19 PM
gbakman
Junior User
Dave, you have saved me a lot of time. Now I know exactly what I need to get from that donor truck. The parts you show are all there. The firewall examples makes it clearer- I see the difference as follows, if I miss something let me know: The first thing is - the large square hole in the center, - the hole above it is elongated not round, and a small hole below and to the right of the long raised area next to the other round hole. Can I ask why you did not just cut the large hole, elongate the round hole and add the small hole below? Is there something I can't see? Thanks for the thorough examples.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:26 PM
gbakman
Junior User
Dave one more question. Do you think I can get the AC out of the donor truck without removing the dash and installing it in my truck with removing the dash?

Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by gbakman
Dave, you have saved me a lot of time. Now I know exactly what I need to get from that donor truck. The parts you show are all there. The firewall examples makes it clearer- I see the difference as follows, if I miss something let me know: The first thing is - the large square hole in the center, - the hole above it is elongated not round, and a small hole below and to the right of the long raised area next to the other round hole. Can I ask why you did not just cut the large hole, elongate the round hole and add the small hole below? Is there something I can't see? Thanks for the thorough examples.
I think you have that right, on phone again so will check when on my pc.

As for why not? Don't think anyone at the time said you could just cut holes. They were saying could not be done in so many words. I was new to the forum so no one knew my skill set then. Once done they believe my skill set.
Also I would know I just cut holes and was not a AC firewall lol.

Dave one more question. Do you think I can get the AC out of the donor truck without removing the dash and installing it in my truck with removing the dash?
I am not sure if the box can be removed or installed with the dash in place.
Be cause I was going to swap them because of vents I pulled mine.

Maybe someone else knows?
Dave - - - -

Old 10-04-2016, 09:31 AM
gbakman
Junior User
Well, I guess the next question is, how hard is it to remove the dash. I do not want to get into it and realize the dash has to come out and have wasted time, when the dash must come out to start with. I value your honest opinion because you have done it.
Experience is the best teacher. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
When I installed factory AC in my non AC 84 F250, I just cut the firewall for the extra hole.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:56 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Don't think anyone at the time said you could just cut holes. They were saying could not be done in so many words.
I don't remember it that way at all; the standard response offered by people is to cut holes in the firewall for the HVAC box, your post isn't the first time that topic has come up here and in fact I asked the same question before I became a moderator here because I'm wanting to do something similar with my own truck.

But it's also generally explained that such a conversion is a lot of work, I don't recall people saying it couldn't be done when you asked, I probably would have interjected if I had seen that. But I honestly don't remember the details of the thread and am too lazy to go look it up.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:24 PM
gbakman
Junior User
Eddiec1564, If you have any additional info or tips, please let me know. Did you remove the dash to do the under dash work? If so was it a difficult task and problems you may remember having that could assist me in this retrofit. And if someone else has do this please join in and provide your knowledge. Thanks

Old 10-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Eddiec1564, If you have any additional info or tips, please let me know. Did you remove the dash to do the under dash work? If so was it a difficult task and problems you may remember having that could assist me in this retrofit. And if someone else has do this please join in and provide your knowledge. Thanks
I took the dash out as my truck did not have any of the AC vents in the dash. Had to add them(messing up the dash in process). The new dash I have is AC vent ready. A non AC truck in southwest Florida is no fun!

The dash is kinda easy to remove, just have to find the hidden bolts/screws AND have a helper to take it out. All the while finding wiring harness snagging things..... I did it by myself.

Someone had a thread with photos of taking out the 80 to 86 dashes. Not finding it though....

The extra firewall hole I just drilled 4 points and used a saws-all to open up the hole.

On the AC/heat box, I had a stripped bolt and that required the inner fender to be removed so I could get vice grips to hold it.

Over all the system ran really good about a month,, then I rammed a stick into the condenser while off roading........... That ended the nice cold AC till I shut down the truck due to cab cancer. The replacement cab is already set up for AC in the firewall. Just have to swap parts over.

Quick Reply: Changing Dealer AC to Factory AC