6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Valve came apart, no what

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 01:58 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Valve came apart, no what

So I have been having terrible blue smoke upon start up and it continues until the truck is warmed up. So today for sh**s and giggles I decided to take a look at the egr valve.

When I went to take it out the top half came out only (where the sensor plugs in). So I had to use my crows foot to get the actually valve apart. I have never had this happen.

I cleaned it up and put it back together. Then my engine light came on and code p0404 showed up. Went to pull out the egr valve and again it came and part in two pieces.

Can I salvage the valve?

If I need to replace it, can I drive around with the valve not working properly, until and the replacement part comes in?

Also, I need help with this blue smoke thing, I am going to use an oil additive in my next oil change (1500 more miles). Should I wait until I see if the oil additive helps and then go from there?

Thanks all - Preston

Old 09-24-2016, 02:14 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Just put it back in and now I have a p0404 AND p1335.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:46 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Both codes relate to the EGR valve.

Get a new valve rather then trying to play with one coming apart. Loose things in an intake is never a good or friendly situation.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Both codes relate to the EGR valve.

Get a new valve rather then trying to play with one coming apart. Loose things in an intake is never a good or friendly situation.

Thanks Jack. Can I still drive it until the part arrives without damage occuring?

Old 09-24-2016, 06:25 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I believe the codes are present because the valve is not acting properly or sending its movement information correctly. From another source:

P0404: Exhaust gas recirculation circuit range/performance -This code tells us that the PCM detected the EGR valve is not responding to the commanded position within a given amount of time. This is typically an indication that the valve is sticking or is stuck.

P1335: EGR position sensor minimum/maximum stop performance - This code means that the EGR valve position voltage is greater than the allowable limit when closed and is not being commanded by the PCM. I have two different specifications for this: 1.3V>2.5 seconds and 1.5V>2.5 seconds but the indication is still the same. The possibilities include a stuck EGR valve, debris preventing the valve from fully closing, wiring concerns affecting the signal voltage or control circuits and the PCM.

I've never pulled one of those apart so I can say if all the parts stay intact after such a separation. Me, I would keep it shut down until a new valve arrives to be safe.

When I had a bad, not closing faulty valve I had blue smoke that went away with a new valve. I also run (on and off) with a secondary valve placed on top of the installed valve, so the installed valve is always closed. No problems with that.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:37 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru

When I had a bad, not closing faulty valve I had blue smoke that went away with a new valve. I also run (on and off) with a secondary valve placed on top of the installed valve, so the installed valve is always closed. No problems with that.
Almost like a poor mans delete?

That sounds better than a block off plate.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 PM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea that blows. I'm glad my EGR days are behind me.

I will say that on old truck with a EGR running diesel Kleen made a H U G E difference in how clean that thing stayed. Intake little by little became extremely clean too. So it for sure helps.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
Almost like a poor mans delete?

That sounds better than a block off plate.
I'm not sure "poor mans" is the qualification with the price of the second valve.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
I'm not sure "poor mans" is the qualification with the price of the second valve.

So, is this something you haven't had issues with since you did this delete style?

Old 09-25-2016, 04:42 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Subscribed, I too would like to hear how two valves helps EGR..... also would like to hear more about the diesel Kleen cleaning up the intake.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:45 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Well after much research lastnight I have decided I will just drive around with the egr sensor disconnected. I know the fan rpms won't be the same, but I should not have any issues since I am not towing and the days are getting colder once the new valve gets in then I will leave the old one in and connect the new one to the sensor and zip tie it off to the side

Old 09-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
Is this money well spent vs a tuner that can delete the EGR function and CEL codes?

Old 09-25-2016, 03:05 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Well, for me and current financial situation, it is a better choice. But the CEL will go away once the new Egr valve is connected, or so I believe

Old 09-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
Right. I'm only asking because you've done a lot more research on this pertinent topic than I, and I'm also not really interested in more HP from this engine but the tuner can have other benefits also, whereas your dual valve fix is specific to that troublesome part.

How much does new valve cost anyway?

Old 09-25-2016, 04:34 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Norma stitz
Right. I'm only asking because you've done a lot more research on this pertinent topic than I, and I'm also not really interested in more HP from this engine but the tuner can have other benefits also, whereas your dual valve fix is specific to that troublesome part.

How much does new valve cost anyway?

I agree on not being interested in more horsepower either, even thought I have a very mild tune on the FICM.

It cost me $168 for a Ford OEM reman replacement

Quick Reply: EGR Valve came apart, no what