6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Valve came apart, no what

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
Well, for me and current financial situation, it is a better choice. But the CEL will go away once the new Egr valve is connected, or so I believe
You will still get a CEL do to insufficient flow. The AI2 will tattle on you.
This is because of the differences between the years and the programming
they run on. I think it 05 and up that you can't do that trick. Would need to
verify what year that started. However I know that your 06 can't.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:10 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
they run on. I think it 05 and up that you can't do that trick. Would need to
verify what year that started. However I know that your 06 can't.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Well that sucks. The CEL will bother me. So maybe I will just install the valve correctly. Ergh

Old 09-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
Well that's not too bad. If I wanted to do this trick on my sprinter it would cost 1000$. So, I paid 600$ for a tune that eliminates it instead. It also gained me a few mpg and a lot of scoot.
What does the fcim tune do for you?

Old 09-25-2016, 08:09 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Norma stitz
Well that's not too bad. If I wanted to do this trick on my sprinter it would cost 1000$. So, I paid 600$ for a tune that eliminates it instead. It also gained me a few mpg and a lot of scoot.
What does the fcim tune do for you?

FICM tune doesn't raise cylinder pressure, but it doesn't tune the transmission. When I had my FICM worked on by Ed at FICMRepair.com I had him add the mildest PHP tune , Atlas 40.

Based on the specs they gave when they dyno tested this tune, it was a 2wd, it put out an additional 40hp and an additional 130 ft lbs of torque. Iam probably not seeing all that dyno'd specs, but it does help.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:35 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,420 Posts
The parallel EGR valve only works with the early trucks without setting a code and having the software take into consideration that there is not sufficient EGR flow.

For your truck with the blue smoke you need to install the valve to eliminate that.

For the early trucks the parallel valve accomplishes most of everything that an intake plug does, blocking EGR flow, but it's been stated that a disconnected valve will allow turbo over boost to blow off to the exhaust.

There's 13 years of threads about blocking the EGR. Some of theoretic benefits are the EGR college will not get as hot without gas flowing through it (although an '03 has a more heat tolerable cooler), and better mpg and power since the combustion event is not muted by the reduction in oxygen. The downsides are with a more robust explosion you risk head gaskets more so. I don't buy that as the EGR gasses are only utilized during low to moderate fueling, such as idle or cruising, not during high fueling events when the most power is asked. Although I've never seen the combustion pressures. The other downside is many report higher exhaust temps by 40-50F during highway driving, which I would expect since again the combustion event is not muted with a longer, cooler burn time, but more violent. After all, the purpose of adding EGR gasses is to reduce the combustion temperature thereby reducing NOX.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:34 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
The parallel EGR valve only works with the early trucks without setting a code and having the software take into consideration that there is not sufficient EGR flow.

For your truck with the blue smoke you need to install the valve to eliminate that.

For the early trucks the parallel valve accomplishes most of everything that an intake plug does, blocking EGR flow, but it's been stated that a disconnected valve will allow turbo over boost to blow off to the exhaust.

There's 13 years of threads about blocking the EGR. Some of theoretic benefits are the EGR college will not get as hot without gas flowing through it (although an '03 has a more heat tolerable cooler), and better mpg and power since the combustion event is not muted by the reduction in oxygen. The downsides are with a more robust explosion you risk head gaskets more so. I don't buy that as the EGR gasses are only utilized during low to moderate fueling, such as idle or cruising, not during high fueling events when the most power is asked. Although I've never seen the combustion pressures. The other downside is many report higher exhaust temps by 40-50F during highway driving, which I would expect since again the combustion event is not muted with a longer, cooler burn time, but more violent. After all, the purpose of adding EGR gasses is to reduce the combustion temperature thereby reducing NOX.
Thank you for the response.

Your right, there are too many threads and posts to count on this subject and so many conflicting remarks when searching.

Probably why it still gets brought up.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:05 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen maybe 10 degrees cooler engine oil and fluid temps since I did the parallel EGR valve setup on my '06 E-450.

So, yes, conflicting information....

Old 10-03-2016, 05:12 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Just wanted to finish up this thread with a resolution. I installed the new EGR valve, last Thursday, no issues since. All is good.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:29 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
Just wanted to finish up this thread with a resolution. I installed the new EGR valve, last Thursday, no issues since. All is good.
Thanks for the update and outcome.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:57 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
they run on. I think it 05 and up that you can't do that trick
I have been told that 2005 and newer will turn on the CEL with low EGR flow for any reason, and ANY YEAR will do it if the ECM was flashed to the most current firmware.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
I have been told that 2005 and newer will turn on the CEL with low EGR flow for any reason, and ANY YEAR will do it if the ECM was flashed to the most current firmware.
Also add California trucks to that list from what I hear.