Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Engine ID Number and Man Trans Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine ID Number and Man Trans Conversion

A few months back I bought a 1994 F350 Dually which came from the factory with a 7.3l Turbo IDI engine and has a E4OD automatic. The transmission failed and with prior experience in the past with these transmissions want to convert it to a 5 speed manual transmission. One of the problems I am having is that the turbo motor I was told went bad and they put a non turbo motor (supposedly) in it's place. I found that there is a difference according to the parts stores between the flywheel on a turbo motor and a non-turbo. Can anyone tell me if the engine has an ID code on the block so that I can tell whether it is a turbo motor or not. The VIN number shows K which is a turbo motor that was installed in the factory. If there is no difference between a non-turbo motor and a turbo motor, let me know. Also, has anyone ever had any trouble converting an automatic truck to a manual transmission?

Thanks

Old 09-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the IDIT turbos have different flywheels and flex plates that are externally weighted to compensate for the larger wrist pins in the turbo engines. I believe the engine block casting number is under the vacuum pump next to the IP timing cover.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:27 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Thanks for the info, hopefully I can find out if this motor is a non-turbo or turbo motor. Is everything else about the motor the same between them or are there other differences besides the wrist pins?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
The turbo blocks have larger oil galleries, and the pistons have two keystone rings. I think that's it. Rods, pistons, oil cooler, flywheel and front balancer.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
I do believe that is quite a difference between the two.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:15 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ive also heard that a true turbo engine has better valves.

parts from the N/A will bolt up to the turbo block.
be careful what you use.

the engine ID # is on the driversside next to the IP gear cover.
I believe, not 100% sure than N/A applications will have a U in the number, and turbo engines will have a T

Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Yeah you are right, i forgot the IDIT exhaust valves are inconel.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On your block, on the driver's side of the IP gear cover and just in front of the head, there is a small flat area of the block that would be level with the ground. Clean that area and you should find stamped markings with the block part number. Post that and we can tell you what it was.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:15 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Thanks for the info, I found the number.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:00 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
I found the number and it is 69L F149211, there are two other number on the pad also, they are 133 and 695. I think I have a 6.9l in my truck but can anyone here tell me if this is true for sure. I have to know what size engine was put in my truck before I bought it so I can get the right clutch kit. It was swapped prior to me purchasing it. They said it was a 7.3l w/o turbo but I am not sure.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Check a head bolt. 6.9 = 7/16 bolt. 7.3 = 1/2 bolt.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:58 AM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
Ok, I definitely have a 6.9l, here is the problem that I may have. I just got a 5 speed manual transmission in and I have to find a clutch that will fit the 6.9l and also match up to the transmission. Will a 7.3l non turbo clutch and flywheel fit the crank on the 6.9l and will the ring gear match up with the starter.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
I think you need a 6.9 flywheel and pressure plate and a 7.3 clutch disk. Go for a SMF clutch from LUK or South Bend.

The 7.3 flywheel will bolt up just fine, but is not balanced properly. It might work just fine forever, or your crank might crack under the stress. I don't know.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM
pascalhorse
Freshman User
I've been checking on a non turbo engine and I can get a 7.3l flywheel is a solid flywheel, and not a dual mass flywheel. I believe the dual mass was balanced for the 7.3l IDIT if I am right.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pascalhorse
I've been checking on a non turbo engine and I can get a 7.3l flywheel is a solid flywheel, and not a dual mass flywheel. I believe the dual mass was balanced for the 7.3l IDIT if I am right.
No, all 7.3's came with dual-mass flywheels to reduce vibration and noise. But they tend to explode when they get old, destroying your transmission's bellhousing.

So most everyone upgrades to a SMF - single mass flywheel.
You should be able to get a SMF kit for 6.9, 7.3 or 7.3 turbo, each of which should be balanced differently.

You /need/ a 6.9 flywheel and pressure plate, and a 7.3 clutch disk for the ZF-5
Hopefully you can contact Luk or South Bend and get them to sell you a 6.9 kit without the disk, and a separate disk of the same size with the correct spline.

edit:
as far as I can tell.
LuK has a 6.9 clutch set(pressure plate + disk): PN 07-065. Not sure about the flywheel.
They have a 7.3/5-speed smf clutch set: PN 07-131

#07-225 includes a 7.3 flywheel.

So... as far as I can tell, you may be able to run a 7.3 non-turbo smf clutch and flywheel on your 6.9. I am not going to recommend it as I don't know what will happen if it's balanced too far off.
It will fit, however, and I've seen a number of people doing this on various forums.
I'd like someone else to chime in if it is OK. You might end up with a little more vibration... not that the 6.9/7.3 doesn't vibrate pretty badly anyway!

Quick Reply: Engine ID Number and Man Trans Conversion