6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Acceleration = white smoke and shudder

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
JR58
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acceleration = white smoke and shudder

The title pretty much sums it up. At cruise, everything is fine, but when accelerating hard it smokes and shudders.
In the beginning it was weather related, such as condensation in the intercooler. Now, not so much.

Thanks for y'alls input, regardless of the stress is causes. Sometimes I just don't like the answers.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:17 PM
c mobley
Senior User
Ive had white smoke and shudder twice. The first time my pick up foot broke off in my fuel tank so when fuel was lower than 1/2 tank it wouldnt pick up fuel good. The second time i had white smoke and shudder was when my injector cups were cracked but it was also pressurizing my degas bottle sometimes. Both times it would idle fine run fine but when you hit the pedal it would fog everything behind you.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:50 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,018 Likes on 779 Posts
I am very surprised as to the lack of comments for assist request for 6.X diesel engines. Seems like the only think folks like to talk about is tuners, egr deletes, and DPF .

back to your issue. check to see if you have droplets from your exhaust that look like tea. put the droplets on a tooth pick and see if you can light it with a lighter or match. if they do not light up, there's a component in the turbo system that needs to be replaced.......it has something to do with water vapor control. I just discovered the same problem and when I find the name of the part, I will post. maybe someone can chim in and discuss.

also, the droplet test I mentioned....we are assuming that there is no change in coolant level and your heater works. if coolant levels change and your heater does not work (because the coolant system will become pressurized), then theirs a collant system problem...head gaskets...egr, etc.

if the droplets light up with a match, (droplets on a toothpick and you are srtanding away from your truck, so you don't blow yourself up), then you either worm have rocker arms or bent push rods. either will change the geometry of the valve system and prevent combustion at the right second...this cuases unburnt fuel to exit the engine.

color of the smoke is helpful but since the DPF is dirty...its not accurate since what should be white smoke due to water vapor will exit the dpf as black smoke and exhaust color experts will think you are burning oil.

so few of this combo (6.4) in a superduty are on the road that the knowledge base is poor, so what ever solves this , come back and update the thread for the next guy.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:24 PM
JR58
Senior User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I am very surprised as to the lack of comments for assist request for 6.X diesel engines. Seems like the only think folks like to talk about is tuners, egr deletes, and DPF .

back to your issue. check to see if you have droplets from your exhaust that look like tea. put the droplets on a tooth pick and see if you can light it with a lighter or match. if they do not light up, there's a component in the turbo system that needs to be replaced.......it has something to do with water vapor control. I just discovered the same problem and when I find the name of the part, I will post. maybe someone can chim in and discuss.

also, the droplet test I mentioned....we are assuming that there is no change in coolant level and your heater works. if coolant levels change and your heater does not work (because the coolant system will become pressurized), then theirs a collant system problem...head gaskets...egr, etc.

if the droplets light up with a match, (droplets on a toothpick and you are srtanding away from your truck, so you don't blow yourself up), then you either worm have rocker arms or bent push rods. either will change the geometry of the valve system and prevent combustion at the right second...this cuases unburnt fuel to exit the engine.

color of the smoke is helpful but since the DPF is dirty...its not accurate since what should be white smoke due to water vapor will exit the dpf as black smoke and exhaust color experts will think you are burning oil.

so few of this combo (6.4) in a superduty are on the road that the knowledge base is poor, so what ever solves this , come back and update the thread for the next guy.
The part I didn't mention was the DPF delete.
Gearbox-Z, no HP increase. Usually (some) black smoke on accel/ white when it's raining or humid...most of the time in E TX.

There does seem to be a lack of power. No wrench or warning lights.