Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 AM
sundance1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilemma

I own a 2000 F250 V10 with 82,000 miles on it. I recently stopped by a body shop to get an estimate to repaint my horse trailer. In talking with the owner I asked about my truck. I recently put in about $3700 into it (replaced all the exhaust manifold bolts and a complete brake job including replacing all the lines etc. (I had an incident while driving that a brake line rusted through and lost all fluid...scary ****) I have maintained this truck very well and mechanically it is in fine shape. The only problem with it is rust.... In talking with him he said mine isn't that bad. He said for about 10-12K he could replace the bed and tailgate and the 4 doors (supercab) strip it down to the frame and get all the rust off and repaint and buff it out and make it look new again. I was thinking about getting a new 2017 but really don't want to spend 50-60k for a new truck that all I really use it for is towing. He did tell me his business is growing in truck restoration as many people like me don't want to spend so much on a new truck. The V10 is a beast....I have a farmer friend who has the same truck as mine with over 325,000 miles on it and hasn't had any problems with it. He just uses it as a farm truck now and says it just won't die! My question is has anyone restored their truck and is it worth it. I really like the 2017's but don't want to spend 50-60k for it.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:05 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't love any truck that much to dump that kind of money into it. But that's me. I've had lots of friends get rust "repair" only to have it start rusting again. Instead of buying brand new why don't you look newer used and use the $10-$12k to reduce that price even more. I see very nice high trimmed 6.2 trucks for $35-$38K. Negotiate a lower price and then $10-12 down and that's a reasonable price for a truck.

On my previous F250 I had taken it in near the end of the corrosion warranty and was approved for them to just cut out small parts of the rust an replace. Well as soon as they opened the bed up they said it was a rust nightmare. I ended up getting two brand new bedsides for free.

My point is that once they start opening up things they may find more and more and the price will go up and up......

Old 08-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
For 10 grand you could buy a complete unrusted Southern truck with a locked up engine and swap your good V10 into it and still have money left over. And that is paying someone else to haul it and do the swap.
You get what you pay for on body work. but you could buy a nice running truck around here for that 12 grand.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I know rust

Don't do it man! 16-year-old vehicle with a rust problem is not salvageable. If you were going to make a show truck out of it and do this job as a hobby that would be one thing. But to spend real live money on something that will never be a hundred percent… That's not smart money to spend.

If you want a great truck and you have $12,000 to spend, go shopping for a 6-8 year old southern truck.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sam I Am

I didn't mean to copy your thoughts. I actually saw your reply after posting mine.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:38 AM
RazorV
New User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
I wouldn't love any truck that much to dump that kind of money into it. But that's me. I've had lots of friends get rust "repair" only to have it start rusting again. Instead of buying brand new why don't you look newer used and use the $10-$12k to reduce that price even more. I see very nice high trimmed 6.2 trucks for $35-$38K. Negotiate a lower price and then $10-12 down and that's a reasonable price for a truck. ......
That is great advice and at the lower price you can pick up an extended warranty.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:46 AM
sundance1
New User
Thanks for all of your replies..... I have been set straight. I guess I have watched too many of that "Overhaulin'" TV show If I had the knowledge and skill to do it myself that would be one thing but it is too much money to put into a 16 yr old truck. The brake line failure I experienced last month I think is the last straw. I saw a '17 at the local dealer the other day and it looks sweet....

Old 09-01-2016, 11:59 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Vehicles are nothing but a liability, when thinking in terms of assets and liabilities. The never appreciate, constantly cost you money, etc..... But we sort of need them.

I would look at your situation like this. If all you do is use the truck to haul things from time to time, and it does it well without issue, why worry about getting rid of it. Just use it. Save more money over the next few years and then have even more to put down. Treat the rusted areas with something like Fluid Film every couple of months to help slow the inevitable process.

Or try and get what you can for it now and trade up. But be more tactical with combating the rust each year so you don't end up in the same predicament.

I luck out by having a winter vehicle and my truck sits in my garage for 4 months to avoid the salt baths. Hopefully will help with longevity. I can say this, If I was ever to able to afford a brand new truck, it would never see a winter, ever.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You'd be putting probably double into the truck that it is worth. However if it is done right and you really like the truck then it may be worth it to you as mileage is pretty low. The job just has to be done right.

If the bed is bad it pays more to find and good used bed OR a new take off bed w tailgate and just swap beds. While the bed is off you can get to the frame to paint it, check brake lines for rust, replace fuel pump, etc. Doors rust at the bottom and yeah used doors may be cheaper. But you have to watch the rockers and cab corners too. Best way is to cut out all rust, weld in new steel, paint and undercoat. Depends on how bad the rust is. Its up to you.

I will likely have my truck another 10 years at least and will put money into it to keep it up because I do like the new trucks at all. Overpriced, annoying, over complicated "features" and poor interior design with less space. No thanks.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 AM
COsby
Senior User
I found a low mileage rust free V10 for the same price as what the body shop guy quoted you.
They're rare, but they're out there. You may even come in cheaper with miles and no rust.
It's just a trade off. I absolutely wasn't going to buy a new truck. For me, it's just a toy. I didn't need all the fancy seat warmers and satellite radio, so I went for an older truck that didn't have that stuff, but had a solid body and low miles.