Flowmaster 40 - "hp without the noise"???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:59 PM
OldBlue67
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"How'd you like 15 to 30 rear wheel horsepower without the noise? made with...blah blah... Flowmaster mufflers take the sound waves and cancel them against angled baffles." That came out of Summit racing's latest catalog. Is that true?? I thought the 40 series Flows were cool because they're loud and have good sound. I don't want sound canceled! *sighs* I'm confused.

That description there doesn't sound like what I want. I know the Flowmaster 40s have been highly recommended here with people saying they had good sound, were nice and loud, but I've also seen some posts that they weren't getting the loudness they wanted out of them. I think they were later model trucks though, well as compared to my '67, and had duel cats which were restricting sound. Cats aren't a problem with a '67

Thing of it is, I don't so much want a "muffler" as a "sound refiner" I like 'im loud, real loud. After I had the leak in the exhaust manifold fixed (that was too loud.) he hardly made any sound at all! I was very sad until my muffler exploded. I still have it on, though ( yah, the exploded muffler), which I just now realized is causing all that unmuffled sound to dump about halfway down his bed. We have some real good echo magnification going on *snorts* laughs* It hadn’t even occurred to me.

I hadn’t thought that buying a muffler would be this complicated. But he definitely needs one. I want him to be loud because I want him to be, not because something is broken.

Thus ends my ramblings about Flowmaster and my trucks muffler.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:51 AM
ford5.8
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

40 series without cats will be loud...the chambers cancle some of the bad sound waves and let the good ones by "thats delta flows explanation"

Old 08-20-2003, 04:03 PM
moore89
Senior User

I have a 67 F100 with a swapped in 351W. The exhaust I just had put on is 2.5" true duals off the manafolds back to a pair of 40 series flowmasters (non Delta Flow) that dump right before the axle. It sounds mean as hell. I love the look on Honda driver's faces when I rev back at them. The Delta Flows are quieter but the origional 40 series are their most agressive street muffler

Old 08-20-2003, 09:08 PM
nd4spd
Senior User

ha i hear ya moore....i got the same setup on my 90, its got a real mean sound i love reving it up next to imports at the red light

Old 08-21-2003, 09:24 PM
Knobby4604X4
Senior User

There is apparently a big difference between the non Delta 40s and the Delta Flow. The nons are supposed to be a bit louder, and they reverberate in the cab quite a bit. The Deltas are supposed to be slightly more muted, and are not supposed to reverberate in the cab. I have the 'old' style (non) 40 on my '94 F250 with a 460. The cat is on. The sound is loud and deep and drones in the cab a whole lot at any speed. That said, I still find that I want the exhaust louder and deeper. I am playing around with the idea of putting larger tips on the 'system' which now dumps directly after the muffler at the rear of the cab.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:27 AM
DW2455
Posting Guru

if you want it that close to a straight pipr then go with flowmaster's 1 chamber race muffler. but i agree that a 2 chamber 40 series without cats will ahve a very nice (throatie) sound. Thnx DW

Old 08-22-2003, 11:18 AM
nd4spd
Senior User

yeah ive got true duals with no cats and 2 flowmaster 2 chamber 40 series....niiiiiice rumble...cant keep the damn gas in it cuz im always red lining the damn thing lol ....i get ppl to turn their heads tho for sure

Old 08-22-2003, 12:40 PM
akford351
Posting Guru

40 Series Original dumped is about as loud and deep as you can get! I ran that on my truck (with no cat) for a while but the interior noise was just overbearing... was making my dome light rattle and floorboards vibrate

Sounds like the 40 series is just what your truck needs.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:28 PM
OldBlue67
Senior User

Alright *phew* thats just what I needed to hear. I had been leaning towards the original 40 series, actually I was thinking of getting a setup like nd4spd's (Blue needs everything back from the headers, might as well make it good ) and then that description went and confused me. As a relative newbie I'm easily frightened and confused

Old 08-23-2003, 01:08 PM
nd4spd
Senior User

hey akford351, same here, but its my back glass and my bed...actually its my whole truck thats vibrating lol, its all new to me, so im sure i will get tired of it...but nothing inside is rattling now

Old 08-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts

If you want to be absurdly loud, Flowmaster makes a single chamber muffler also. I once saw a dumped El Camino with those on there and it was overbearingly loud...but hey if you want to be uncomfortable when driving your toy that's your choice.

The resonation will become unnerving after a while and your passangers will become angry also from this. There are better mufflers around than a "40 Series Flowmaster". Check out a Magnaflow Race Series or a Dynomax Bullet if you want it really loud and still somewhat liveable.

My little WRX is an import but I guarantee it is faster being stock, than any of the trucks on here with stock internal motors, no cats, and loud *** dumped 40 series Flowmaster. So don't be trying to knock on the import arena.

Better to be fast and sneaky than slow and loud...

Old 08-29-2003, 11:58 AM
akford351
Posting Guru

Yeah Hit Man X is right... the Flowmaster will without a doubt give you TONS of interior resonance. I love that I can reduce the volume of my exhaust by more than half by simply rolling up my window... whereas the Flow I had would seem quieter with the windows down

Old 08-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver

Now, you guys ever look at a MAC FlowPath muffler? Those have a nice sound. Not quite as loud as a 40 series but a totally different chambered tone.

I had them dumped on a vehicle for about a year before I went to tailpipes and it would set off car alarms and make you half deaf inside when bogged out.

Old 08-29-2003, 01:36 PM
akford351
Posting Guru

Hmm... Never heard one of those before. The design seems to be a bit more free flowing than a Flow. How was the interior noise after you put tailpipes on?

Old 08-29-2003, 02:02 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver

Originally posted by akford351
Hmm... Never heard one of those before. The design seems to be a bit more free flowing than a Flow. How was the interior noise after you put tailpipes on?
I think their site if www.macperformance.com

The design is similar but, the sound isn't "tinny" like a Flowmaster. It has this deep growl to them, hard to explain. I ran these on my ol' '88 TownCar that I got to run low-mid 8's in the 1/8 mi. Basically had a MAF EFI cammed '93 Cobra motor with a full exhuast, prepped AOD w/ PI converter, and some nitrous.

Anyway, the sound was waaaaaay nicer with tailpipes. Not like the sound just went away but it was moved from under the car to the back side...how it should have been. You could hear it on the freeway but it wasn't a drone, just a nice healthy sound.

Its hard to describe more than that, you'd have to ride with one/hear one to see what I am talking about. But since most of there want it really loud this may not be for you...but the sound is very nice.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 - "hp without the noise"???