2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Sync 3 / Sync Connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 10:59 AM
AZFordLover
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts
Allow me to take the contrarian view on this - I do *NOT* want a data connection (modem) in my truck as I'm uncomfortable with trading security/privacy for convenience.

Decreased Security:

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/hacker...on-car-gadget/

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hacker...-jeep-highway/

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/jeep-h...icles-bug-fix/

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/gm-too...s-onstar-cars/

Net: data connectivity massively increases attack surface & most automakers lack the engineering talent, Agile SDLC, and corporate hierarchy to secure these systems

Increased Surveillance

Uconnect Terms of Service

Privacy Statement

Emphasis mine

INFORMATION SPRINT AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTS In addition to the information that you directly provide, Sprint may collect information from you or your vehicle (with Information You Give, all called “Collected Data”) which may include but not limited to:
  • Vehicle Data: information related to your vehicle, such as vehicle sensor data, diagnostic data, odometer readings, collision information, location information, information about when your ignition is turned on or off, speed, tire pressure data, performance data, information about accidents, driving history, etc.;
  • Location Information: GPS location information about your vehicle in the following circumstances: to respond to a request from inside the vehicle (e.g., when you request directions or conduct a point of interest search); to notify emergency service providers; to assist law enforcement as part of a request for stolen vehicle assistance; to protect your safety or the safety of others in our sole discretion (e.g., to locate a missing person); as part of the Vehicle Data for quality or research and development purposes; to provide the Uconnect Services; to send you Uconnect Services related messages or as may be required by law or regulations. Some of this data may be transmitted even after your ignition is off; and
  • User Experience Data: information about the way you use the Uconnect Services that helps FCA US and Sprint improve, customize or communicate about services which are offered to you.
  • Your information and your Vehicle Data (including Location Information) may be collected, used, disclosed, and shared in accordance with this Policy and U.S. laws, rules, and regulations. You consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of this data, including by FCA US. Your vehicle, as manufactured, may include certain features that may collect Vehicle Data (including Location Information) even before you buy your vehicle, and before and after your use of the Uconnect Services. We may use this data for diagnostics, troubleshooting, and to provide vehicle health and other information to you. If we collect Location Information after you buy or lease your vehicle but before you register for the Uconnect Services, we will obtain your consent. If you do not want this information to be collected, used, or shared, you may opt-out by performing the Remove Uconnect Account procedure or contacting us as described in the “Privacy Choices” section below.
Your car may be invading your privacy

Car black box data can be used as evidence - The Morning Call

'Black boxes' in cars capture data, and the truth - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Yes, Your New Car Has A 'Black Box.' Where's The Off Switch? : All Tech Considered : NPR

Net: you may NOT own your data (state laws vary) and such data has previously convicted people.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AZFordLover
Allow me to take the contrarian view on this - I do *NOT* want a data connection (modem) in my truck as I'm uncomfortable with trading security/privacy for convenience.
We are losing the ability to control information collecting about us rapidly. If someone were to slam into me I would want them to have the "black box" since the lawyers can be purchased to defend anything. But my personal feeling is protect my own data and electronic tracks. Nearly impossible today. And the plethora of hackers make it easier and easier for the untrained to buy programs which could grant them access to your entire life. Imagine someone hacking your vehicle and defeating critical controls when you are in a traffic situation. Not likely but possible. Possible with the same results as miscreants who drop pumpkins off a bridge on vehicles doing 75 on an interstate highway. Security needs to greatly improve before I put my vehicle directly on the interweb.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:41 AM
AZFordLover
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts
The nightmarish hack scenarios you mention have been demonstrated.

- Shifting a late model Jeep transmission into neutral as it as being driven uphill and then putting it into a ditch.

- Complete control of a late model Chevy Impala.

I like the air gap between my vehicle and the interweb.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Brandon Brown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwensonBarrettBunch
I have talked with 2 Ford SYNC reps. Both say that the Super Duty does not have the modem and will not have it. We can watch the how to videos because it is grouped in with the F150's. The rep said that it would be corrected soon. I was really looking forward to the Connect system.
This is now available in the 2019 F250’s. I watched it in person myself today. Now we just need to figure what needs to be added to the 18’s to get it to work.