Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I would data log,

MAP
Baro
EBP
Intake air temp
Manifold air temp

Watch your boost gauge and see how she compares to your MAP & boost reading on AE.
You might want to check the up pipe bolts again anyway and see if they can be tightened up some.
Originally Posted by Tugly
Many of us with exhaust or intake leaks have experienced soot out the pipe with stock tuning... it just took me a while to get here. Air in/out leak is suspect #1, complete with a "Most Wanted" poster. I would issue a BOLO and grab a light, mirror, Simple Green, and some plumbing parts with an air fitting.

OK-- Start over with the basics. Soon as I have a day off I'll break out the boost leak detector, check manifolds, uppies and any place I could be losing air.

Will set AE for above pids and go for a run, Watching boost gauge for lag. How quickly should a stock turbo with billet wheel start responding to throttle?

I went back and looked at Map pressures from some runs back 2014 and they look almost identical. Will try to get some decent runs logged so you guys can look at them for me.

Thanks for looking in and helping me get this sorted out, paul

Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am also thinking either MAP or the injector o-rings...

But MPG you know Rolling coal is all the rage these days!!! its soo fun and means my truck has lots of powa, just need the stacks on stacks and stacks for your tow mirrors :

Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
I am also thinking either MAP or the injector o-rings...

But MPG you know Rolling coal is all the rage these days!!! its soo fun and means my truck has lots of powa, just need the stacks on stacks and stacks for your tow mirrors
So all I need is stacks and wings and this thing will fly.... lol

Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
So I've only had time to use the boost leak detector and take a close look at the uppies and manifolds. Put 25 psi on it and no leaks other than just a few bubbles of leak check where the red and green waste gate control lines go into the rubber adapters, very minor. No soot or leaks found.

Question about the turbo-- I used to shut the engine off and hear the turbo spin down for a while. Now I shut it off and the turbo spools down almost immediately. I checked it by hand and it feels smooth but when spun by hand only makes a couple of revolutions and stops. No real play in/ out or up/ down or side to side. No drag marks or unusual sounds. no oil leaking. Can it be bad and not exhibit any of the usual signs??

Should it spin more freely? does it matter if the oil is cold or at operating temp? Is it normal to feel a little resistance? I confess I know nothing about turbos except what I've learned here and read. Hands on experience is little or nothing.

Still plan to do some logging runs on my off days. Went for another quick run after leak checking and it seems to be black smoking more at acceleration.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:05 AM
weeeves
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched your video from post #9. At 1:03, when you let off the throttle, that whining noise sounds like compressor surge. With your low WOT MAP reading and high EGTs, I would suspect a pre-turbo exhaust leak.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
While I know this is not the case here, but that picture got me thinking. I was remembering something last night - something that struck me while watching the original "Rambo":

Rambo is being chased by the officials and he finds himself in a dark mine. He happens upon a lantern and he shakes it to see if it has fuel, but it's empty and he smashes it on the ground. He finds another lantern, then repeats the full process. He stumbles onto some fuel, so he rips some fabric and wraps it around a stick to make a torch - then he applies fuel to the fabric and lights it.

Intentionally rolling coal reminds me of that scene: It's a macho and dramatic show for the audience - but the audience just might be thinking "Well... that was stupid."

Old 08-15-2016, 07:32 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by weeeves
I just watched your video from post #9. At 1:03, when you let off the throttle, that whining noise sounds like compressor surge. With your low WOT MAP reading and high EGTs, I would suspect a pre-turbo exhaust leak.
Not disagreeing with you at all. But with the Ford AIS intake he shouldn't really be hearing much at all- especially unloaded (not towing). Don't ya think?

Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,479 Likes on 2,861 Posts
Not disagreeing with you at all. But with the Ford AIS intake he shouldn't really be hearing much at all- especially unloaded (not towing). Don't ya think?
This is how my turbo acts with the AIS. I don't hear it much at all until the higher RPM's and even less when not towing.

In relation to your turbo wheel spinning. If memory serves me right my turbo wheel spins freely with a manual turn of my hand. I would say it goes around 8ish times... This is from memory from 8 months ago though when I rebuilt it.

Subscribed to see where this goes.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts
It should spin freely, if it's got resistance, I'd open it up and take a look see.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I just went multiple rounds with my Cummins. I was complaining to my tuner how smokey it was with my tow mirrors down.

It turns out my map sensor was junk. For whatever reason my truck was seeing 35-36 psi of boost at in idle in park!! Therefore when I go on it at all the truck would dump TONS of fuel because it thought it needed to. I got that all straightened out after 2 weeks. Mechanically everything is sound with my truck... stupid awesome electrical.

Start from the beginning be sure to make sure everything is in order. Obviously you're not dealing with a typical problem and I'm very curious to know what it turns out to be.

I almost wonder what the exhaust side of the turbo looks like and wonder if that could come into play with what you're describing

Old 08-16-2016, 09:24 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I just went multiple rounds with my Cummins. I was complaining to my tuner how smokey it was with my tow mirrors down.

It turns out my map sensor was junk. For whatever reason my truck was seeing 35-36 psi of boost at in idle in park!! Therefore when I go on it at all the truck would dump TONS of fuel because it thought it needed to. I got that all straightened out after 2 weeks. Mechanically everything is sound with my truck... stupid awesome electrical.

Start from the beginning be sure to make sure everything is in order. Obviously you're not dealing with a typical problem and I'm very curious to know what it turns out to be.

I almost wonder what the exhaust side of the turbo looks like and wonder if that could come into play with what you're describing
Well there you go John! Don't you know? Dodges were designed to run with their tow mirrors up! (couldn't resist!)

Old 08-16-2016, 11:00 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Well there you go John! Don't you know? Dodges were designed to run with their tow mirrors up! (couldn't resist!)
That's a misconception brought forward by Powerstroke and duramax guys. For cruising tow mirrors down for performance and towing tow mirrors up

Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
That's a misconception brought forward by Powerstroke and duramax guys. For cruising tow mirrors down for performance and towing tow mirrors up
I know!

One of my best friends has an 09, bone stock. Even he hates the way some of the kids treat their Dodges. He actually did the delete a couple years ago, and was shocked at how much it smoked, and more importantly, how loud it was. The first time he drove it home, his wife complained about how loud it was. Said she could hear him a half mile away. Told him there was no way she was going to ride in a truck that sounds like a hillbillies truck. (that threat alone would have been enough for me to keep it that way myself) So, he re-installed everything back to stock.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
So I spoke with Clay at Riff Raff. He could have tried to sell me parts but was his usual honest self. He says a cold turbo with residual oil in the bearings will have oil drag and probably only spin 1 to 2 revolutions when spun by hand. Off next couple of days so should be able to do some data logging

Old 08-16-2016, 02:02 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 809 Likes on 591 Posts
Warm her up and give it a whirl... but I expect it will be the same. Listening to the video my impression is the turbo spools up too slow and down too fast. My guess is the shaft is binding for some reason. It spins, but with greater than normal resistance. Oil roasted on there or something? No experience to share on that, just throwing out a guess to explain what I think I heard.

Quick Reply: Help....Rolling Coal and don't want to