1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

6 cylinder carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 06:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
6 cylinder carburetor

I don’t seem to have much luck with the carburetor on my ’49 F-2 with the 226 flat six. I have rebuilt it myself a couple of times in the last twenty years and had a pro rebuild it about five years ago. Each time it had leaks. Now the truck won’t stay running when I come to a stop and I suspect it is the carb again. What I would like to know, is there a replacement carb for this truck by another manufacturer or am I stuck rebuilding this one again? I have the stock oil bath air filter and would like to keep it so the throat on the carb has to have the ridge to accept the filter's screw clamp.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:00 PM
77f150351c
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 cylinder carburetor

1 barrel right

Old 08-19-2003, 08:44 AM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6 cylinder carburetor

Originally posted by bobj49f2
I have the stock oil bath air filter and would like to keep it so the throat on the carb has to have the ridge to accept the filter's screw clamp.
You could do what the previous owner of my 223 did and braze the air cleaner to the carb. I was wondering where the screw clamp was and when I looked under the air cleaner, I got my answer.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:53 AM
DonF
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 cylinder carburetor

My 49 F-1 226 six has a non stock carb that appears to work well. It came that way so I don't know exactly what it came off of but appears to be from a later model ford six. It is the typical one barrel holley that you find on the mid to late fifties, possibly early sixties six cylinder engines. I think that was the year range of carb kit that I purchased when I rebuilt it.

Upside is that it bolts right on, stock air filter works and the carb works well and looks like it belongs there. Mechanical linkage connects right up without any apparent modification.

Downside is that the carb is designed to work on the right, not left side of the engine so the choke cable comes in from the wrong side. My choke cable was long enough so that I could just loop it around on the right side and it works ok. I suppose with a little engineering, you could modify it so the choke cable comes in from the left.

Don't know the cfm of this carb compared to the original. It was there, it works, so I'm leaving it alone. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2003, 10:19 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
6 cylinder carburetor

77f150351c, yes it is a one barrel.

Don, thanks for the input, that was what I was looking for. I will try an newer carb. I have a rebuilt carb I bought some time ago that looks almost the same as the stock but it has a straight throat for the air cleaner so the ring clamp for the air cleaner doesn't work too good, I will have to try to rig something up that will adapt the air clean to it. I have heard others complain about the stock Ford carbs for this year truck.