Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Radios...Is There One That Fits Without Trimming The Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:57 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I just put in a Kenwood DDX 9702S and am very happy with it. It works with Android Auto if you so desire. As mentioned above, you are pretty much stuck with trimming the dash. It is easy but messy .There is a kit by Metra made just for it. They also have an adapter to keep your DVD hook up as well. There is a youtube video where a guy walks you through it except he didnt have the right DVD hookup..however they are available now.

Here is a link to it. Hope it helps. BTW, you do not have to remove the dash to do any of this. However, once you snap the Metra mounting with the radio into the dash, you have to take the dash off to get it out. Quadruple check everything before you give it the final push

Old 07-15-2016, 02:40 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
I will hand it to Joying in the support department. If you buy it from them and not a third party, they will send you parts and updates after verifying your order number. You just have to work with a bit of language barrier. There is no comparison from a Kenwood to a Chinese head unit sound wise, but there is also no denying the endless possibilities with Android apps. It is true Android at its core and uses any music app, nav app, etc that you want. the radio reception is ok and the wifi is stronger than my cell phones. I let it update in the driveway when I start it some mornings and it never takes long. I have a four hour delay where it will stay booted after turning off the ignition so running errands is fast. otherwise a full morning boot with music playing and GPS loaded and ready takes about 45 seconds. Any time even when booting the reverse cam will work as it is on a different circuit. Tether it to a phone and Waze or Google maps runs perfectly. There are drawbacks, but if you understand what you are buying up front they are a great value.
I just put a Joying in mine and completely agree. They always answered any questions I had all be it the responses came in the middle of the night. People are even rooting these and installing a modded rom. Mine has been great.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:26 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the best installation kit? Or is that radio specific? I'm looking for the cleanest/factory "look" install possible. Anyone?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Contact Crutchfield Audio Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV, they are awesome! I just bought a radio for my Pontiac and they had everything needed for an easy hook up.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Contact Crutchfield Audio Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV, they are awesome! I just bought a radio for my Pontiac and they had everything needed for an easy hook up.
Will do and thank you!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:06 AM
johntpr
Senior User
How did you make out on this project Matt?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I've done nothing....well..almost nothing.

I've had a Bazooka tube in the Ex since almost new. It developed noise and I did everything I could to fix it (with SAS help) but I wound up pulling the tube. It was nice to have....but not a must.

It's rare that I listen to music on the radio and I do have an iPod hookup...so I added a touch of EQ in the iPod and I'm content with the sound.

As much as I'd like the GPS, etc...after all the work I did repainting the dash last year...I don't want to trim it. Plus, I'm not sure my OCD can deal with the appearance that some of the install kits.

I also have a reverse camera wired into a rearview mirror so I'd want to swap that to the new unit, etc...

If my Ex was an everyday driver it might be different...but for now...I;m going to see if I'm happy with this arrangement...

Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's mine, except for the Android part, as its Apple Play with backup camera in license plate. I called the spkrs 5x7, but they are more like 6x8..

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...l#post16502014

My son ordered his thru Crutchfield and nothing was right. His was a 2004 Navigator, so I'm glad I just bought what the store had...he then took his to them to get it right.