Ignition switch problems on my 88

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM
danger-dave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition switch problems on my 88

Hey everyone,

I've got a 1988 Bronco II and over the past few days I've been having some strange issues that I think are related to the ignition switch.

First of all, sometimes the blower motor will not have power when I start the engine. Also the blue light on the air conditioner on/off button won't light up and on my instrument panel the rear anti-lock light won't turn off.

Over the past few days when this has happened, I've been able to turn the key off and back on a few times and then suddenly the blower motor will kick on, the blue AC light will turn on, and the rear anti-lock light will turn off.

Today I'm having the same issue but no matter how many times I turn the key off and on, I'm still having the problem. Blower won't kick on, AC light won't turn on, rear anti-lock light stays on. Also today my turn signals and hazard lights have stopped working. The hazards will sometimes kick on, but most of the time aren't working when I try them with the key on or the car started. If I shut off the engine and take the key out the hazards work fine every time.

I removed the cover from my steering column to check all the connections and everything seems to be good. I asked my dad what he thought and he suggested that it's most likely a loose connection somewhere. He also said I should start by checking the blower motor relay. I can't find anything in my owner's manual about relays, and I could be mistaken but a little bit of googling has led me to believe that the Bronco II didn't have a blower motor relay until 1989.

Has anyone here got any suggestions or ideas of what I should do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2016, 01:17 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The next time the blower motor wont run, check to see if the backup lights are working.

If they are not working you need to test the ignition switch. Remove the connector from the ignition switch, connect an ohm meter to BATT & A2 turn key to run and should see a closed circuit.

This is from the factory wiring diagrams for my 87 which should be wired the same as yours.

FWIW the blower resistor is plugged in to the plastic plenum under the hood, but it does'nt look like it's the problem in this case.