Broken Spark Plug Extremely Dirty Well Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:58 PM
eveblack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Spark Plug Extremely Dirty Well Help!

We bought an 03 Expedition 5.4 recently. It needed the wheel bearings and it had a misfire on cylinder 5. So, needed a tune-up. We bought 8 new coils, 8 new spark plugs, serpentine belt and other items we needed. I've never changed the plugs on a 5.4 so I researched and researched until I felt comfortable.

I got the the engine to operating temperature, pulled the air filter and started working. I read the drivers side is harder. I started on that side. I used my air compressor to blow debris from around the area. Pulled the packs and broke each plug lose manually. I sprayed Sea Foam Deep Creep down into each well and placed the coil packs back on top to stop any debris from getting into the wells. While I waited about 30min I changed the PCV, random corroded hoses and serpentine belt. I removed the coil packs again and started removing each plug manually and very slowly. Each one came out intact. Then started on the passenger side with the same process.

Everything came out fine except the boot on the passenger by the firewall. It was incredibly hard to remove. Finally after hours of trying to remove it with different methods we sprayed Sea Foam Deep Creep down and around it and let it sit overnight. We were able to get it out the next morning.

This is what came out.

The spark plug broke off. 😡

We rented the removal set but I can't even see the broken plug in the well.

I made a couple tools and cleaned it the best I could and this is what is left.

Does anyone know if there's something I can use or another tool to clean this out so I don't cause more damage?

Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 PM
jiujitsustudent
Freshman User
Holy ****. That looks bad, sorry to say. Did you try the lisle plug remover set? I wouldn't begin to know how to get that sunuvabitch out

Old 06-27-2016, 05:24 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
The Lisle plug removal set is not for this engine or issue, it's for the 3V heads. This is not a 3V head.

A machinist is probably going to be your best hope. It looks like that plug simply corroded in the well and then finished disintegrating when you tried to change it. Tough stroke of luck. My best idea is for some precision drilling, more thread penetrant, then a screw extractor and a four leafed clover. Pulling the head out and working on a bench is probably the safest route to prevent damage to the head.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Talltruck
Senior User
Wow that looks bad; you'll be lucky to get that out without pulling the head. It looks like there is a lot of debris/dirt/oil caked in around what's left of the plug. Before I pulled anything apart I would put some carb cleaner in there and try to let it soak to break up what's in there. I'd also use an air compressor and a blow nozzle with a tube on it that can be put into the port to blow as much of that stuff out. You may get lucky and be able to drive something into the center of the plug and get it to turn but you'll have to be careful because you don't want any of the metal tip falling into the cylinder.

Use a small telescoping magnet and a shop vac in this process to try to get as much debris out as possible. This looks to be a "surgical" procedure that even an experienced mechanic would struggle with. Take your time, walk away if you get frustrated and cool off, and good luck.