1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Problem with stalling when gas pedal is pressed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Handicapped E150
do think if the fuel injectors are clogged it would cause this? I mean the insides are so dirty I have think that would be suspect.
For the injectors to get clogged up, it's possible, with a bad fuel (frame mounted) fuel filter, or from old gas turning into varnish.

I've replaced fuel injector on a couple of 5.8 engines, but they had well over 180K on the clock. I did it with "re-man" injectors and up-graded the injectors.

If you found that the throttle body was really "dirty" or looked like soot build up, then the problem could be with the EGR valve or with the vapor recovery system.

Check and clean your EGR valve to see if might be causing this problem, The Link posted had the "check" listed there.

Action410 posted a very good suggestion about checking/replacing the O2 sensor.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 PM
Handicapped E150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I finally got the code reader yesterday and I hooked it up and ran the KOEO SELF TEST. along with the continuous memory codes . In both I tests I got the same group of codes:
54-O,R,C EGR valve control sensor fault
or
54- O,,R EVAP control system below minimum voltage.
I have cleaned and. Physically tested the EGR valve by pressing on the diaphragm.. It had a pretty thick layer of junk on it.
I'll be retesting with a hand pump after writing this.
I have placed some photos of possible problems that I see on my member page. There are a couple of small parts I found under the vehicle and was wondering if you might shed some light. One appears to be a type of bleeder or relief valve.
The a,c lines have some kind of gunk on them. Not sure what it is or why its there. The other end of the a,c hose has a white disk that's floating on it. Not sure what to do with that. The main battery terminal to the start solenoid is cracked and exposed it also appears to have some white ash on the connector at the solenoid. There are a couple of picks of the mid ship tank that the fill spout has been cut and capped and the muffler has soot leaking at the welded cap area, happened after putting lucas in the gas. the plugs always look fouled right after I clean them. the two solenoids on the passengers side of the engine bay mounted on a rubber mount to the wall are no longer mounted- rubber deteriorated. the are two plugs on the same side harness not attached to anything-both in bad shape with wiring exposed. solenoids have 1 black and 1 green vacuum line. two wires on each-red yellow on 1 and red blue on the other. the empty connectors have 1blue 1 red on one connector and 1 red and 1 yellow on the other . just like the ones on the aforementioned solenoids.
Sorry for rambling but with 2 family members in wheelchairs time is limited and your time is greatly appreciated. I hope the aforementioned are repairable with minimal funding.
Hopefully with the information I.given you you're able to point me in the right direction. And help you to help me to prioritize the repairs. I don't want to abandon the revival of this econoline but I also understand if you think I am going to be beating my head against the wall with this. update egr is good w/ pump. attatched. testing the electrical portion next.
to date-new cables to battery. new plugs, wires , distributor, tfi, ignition coil, new tps- new fuel filter in line type. new fuel pump in rear tank with sock also (was in Pieces. gas tank was quite clean with minimal sediment.new pvc valve. new belts alternator was replaced just before purchase

Old 06-22-2016, 04:47 PM
Action410
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Positive battery cable while not in the best of condition is usable for now. Just keep it clean. Eventually you will need to replace and it can wait for now. It is a cheap fix to replace the positive cable. Oh it sounds like you replaced it.

The relays mounted in rubber are not Ford. Likely they are for the wheel chair lift. If it works leave it for now.
The "gunk" or tar like stuff on the AC line is there by design from installation so leave that alone.
The mid-ship tank is interesting. If you need to travel at some distance (say over 300 miles) and have limited opportunity to find a gas station this would be something to fix.
I saw a MAP sensor and it was connected.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 06-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Action410
Senior User
EGR valve is supposed to open up at cruise speeds over say 30 - 40 MPH on a warm or hot engine. If it never opens you may hear a ping or spark knock. If it does not close this could be an issue at idle and on acceleration.

If it closes and is closed at idle this is not the issue creating a stall.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Handicapped E150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how would i go about testing that part of the egr system

do ii do the thing with the hand pump on the vacuum line and a voltage reader on the solenoid?
i neglected to mention I also have a code 31-evap control system below min range. I thought i should remedy one code at a time but then it may be contributing factor, correct?
at any rate what does that point too?

I'm not overly concerned about the mid ship tank as i live on oahu so chances are i wouldnt have a problem finding a gas station within range. I just thought the way it was isolated might cause a problem in some way. It seams kind of incomplete in the way of segregation from the system. It seams someone just cut the umbilical cord to Siamese twins. there still connected, but not......??? . I am just trying to better a paraplegics life.... and maybe its not fixable and i should just strip the lift and the auto door electronics and try to install it on another vehicle.
I am seriously beginning to think that the person who sold this too me actually didn't even drive it here but had his friend tow rope him too my place.....i may have been suckered. if i find that is the case, i will be visiting the marina very soon. because for a person to do that to me knowing my intentions......lets just say....i will not turn a blind eye too a cold hearted person like that .:
:-
i'm getting frustrated i think..... i apologize for rambling.

one thing i do know is your willingness to help me is very selfless and refreshing in today's society and i am very greatfull for every word of wisdom and experience.

I will try too stop getting ahead of myself and try each suggestion as given.
i am off to buy the o2 sensor and figure out how to test the for proper opening of the egr.

mahalo guys-your the best

Old 06-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Action410
Senior User
Also look for engine vacuum lines that are damaged or disconnected.

With the vehicle idling you might spray carb cleaner around the intake manifold. If the engine RPM increases you have found a vacuum leak.

>>>>>>>Action