6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 modification

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:36 PM
MotoPro193
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 modification

Hey y'all, first time on here. I have just shy of 3k miles on my truck, looking to do some modifications, looking to help fuel mileage and power. I don't know much on these new trucks, I had a 05 6.0 that I had done up. Not sure how similar it will be. Is there anything that I need to avoid doing? Thanks y'all.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

Two important questions need to be asked -
How much do you value the warranty on your truck and do you have emissions testing in your state?

Okay I lied - three questions
What year is your truck?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:33 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
First off, welcome to the forum.

Honestly, I don't know why you would need more power than 860 lb ft of torque. Secondly, IF you did get more power, it would likely not help mileage at all.

Some don't like the emission system, and it does hurt mileage, so if you want to delete, then delete, (And you'll have to tune to compensate for that, as well as lose your warranty), but IMHO these trucks are pretty darn nice the way they are power, and mileage wise.

Others with more knowledge than I will chime in, but that's my two cents worth. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:43 PM
MotoPro193
New User
Warrenty

To answer your questions,
1) it's a 2016
2) as far as warrenty I was told I am voiding my whole warrenty by doing my lift kit. Not sure how true it is..

I really want to do my def delete
What tuner do y'all suggest?

Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
You void the suspension part of the warranty. I don't see how they could say your fuel system and powertrain are voided... You could potentially void that with the tuner though.

I've done extensive math and even being very conservative with my numbers. (30% increase in mileage and $5 a gal diesel) Unless you are driving at least 25k miles a year you won't pay back the tuner and exhaust components. Cheap ones that you DIY are north of $2k and shops are around $3k or so.

People that have deleted say it's worth MAYBE .5 MPG overall. So let's say 5% better mileage. not the 30% I used... and diesel isn't $5 a gal. (yet).

What you do gain is that you don't have to worry about EGT sensors and you don't have to worry about your EGR valve.

Since I drive under 10k miles a year and I don't keep things past warranty, my motto is that I leave it all stock. But that's me and I don't judge people that modify the heck out of them. I like them, but I don't want to pay to play.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:02 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the FTE! As others have said, some do deletes and love it, others not so much afterwards as it is disappointing about the fuel mileage. However, if you want crazy power, then you'll like it.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:54 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Couple of things:

1) Modifications do not void any warranty. The only time the warranty is affected is if the vehicle comes into the dealership with a problem, and that problem was caused by the aftermarket products and components. Only at that time can Ford deny repairs covered by warranty. Obviously Ford isn't obliged to cover the aftermarket components, those will have their own warranty from the product manufacturer (if any).

2) Best advice I can give is don't put a tune on a truck that still retains the factory emissions system. The emissions systems on these trucks are sensitive to changes, and often do not play well with aftermarket power adding tunes. Even lower HP tunes have been known to cause problems with soot saturation in the DPF and issues with regen. The most extreme cases have owners seeing flames out their tailpipes. Although that's rare, it's happened.

3) As always, it's pay-to-play. At the end of the day it's your truck, so make it what you want. But be prepared to pay in the event something goes wrong. Do your research, and then do some more. Find out what works and what doesn't before you open up your wallet. And please don't modify to be a smoke belching polar bear killing machine. Most people, even diesel enthusiasts, don't appreciate that anymore.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:20 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello the only thing I can add to this after buying a 16 and toying with the idea of deleting the emission systems due to the new Ford flash for the Jack hammering issue which now causes my truck to filter clean every 280 miles which is a total pain with my high driving 1500 miles week lifestyle, However after riding in a friend's 14 F-250 with full delete I've changed my mind and we'll live with filter cleaning, he didn't really gain that much fuel mileage the only Advantage I think you'll get of course will be the increase in Horsepower , however I find hard to understand why anybody would need more horsepower or Torque?? you'll just be spinning your tires quite literally personally I'd invest modification in your lift system Tire choices wheel selection fender flares and so on. One other thing I forgot to mention what really turned me off to the delete the smell of diesel in the cab and the soot down the back of the truck from rolling coal lol take care

Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM
MotoPro193
New User
I don't really need the extra power honestly. I just don't like leaving things stock and I like my truck to be different from everyone else's. Does anyone know if I do 5" from my filter back will it void my warranty? Ford isn't giving me any information on what I can do and get away with it.. And I'm getting a lot of conflicting answers from people. Also as far as mileage is do about 40k a year, I move around quite a bit, and go to visit my family in Ohio when I can. 4K round trip from where I am now

Old 05-22-2016, 12:46 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
A 5" filter back should not void the warranty. It will change the appearance of the truck, but little else. There is no reported gain of horsepower or sound with the filter back systems discussed by most members here who have done them.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:15 PM
MotoPro193
New User
Mostly what I was looking for, I don't want the truck to me obnoxiously loud... But I wouldn't mind it sounding like it has the power that it does. As far as look yes, I don't like the dual tip and would prefer a single 6" black

Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 PM
sgrol
Laughing Gas
Most people on here think those of us that delete do it for more power and for some, that is true. But for me, and others I'm sure, it was a decision for the health of the engine and to eliminate the majority of problems you will read about here. Most problems are due to the emissions system and deleting removes those problems. Not to mention - no more DEF, idling is no longer a problem, oil stays much cleaner, etc.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Curtis - I agree with you, but a tune changes the way the transmission and engine/motor runs from what Ford programmed in. Many a person here has been denied an engine being replaced under warranty because of a tune. And this goes way back to the 6.0 days. It isn't automatic, but I can see Ford saying - you tuned it and the motor blew up - your fault. It's tougher court battle than, no tune, motor blew up...

A tune won't void a defect in the Radio as an example.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:40 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Curtis - I agree with you, but a tune changes the way the transmission and engine/motor runs from what Ford programmed in. Many a person here has been denied an engine being replaced under warranty because of a tune. And this goes way back to the 6.0 days. It isn't automatic, but I can see Ford saying - you tuned it and the motor blew up - your fault. It's tougher court battle than, no tune, motor blew up...

Adding to that, can you afford to be without your truck for 6 months or longer while going thru the courts? The manufacturers have deeper pockets than you.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster

This is partially true and partially not. The reason it's partially true is because some tuners do it automatically without your choice. When I had my 6.7 deleted, I ran it all stock, which means that the only thing that was tuned was the emissions aspect of it. I had stock power and stock transmission tuning and the truck was GREAT! For those who have 15+ on up, the fuel gains aren't as much as the 11-14s, those really do gain 2MPG when you delete. I also never voided my warranty when I tuned my truck, I had to take it in for a water pump issue, radio issue, and an airbag sensor. If I had to do it again though, I probably wouldn't tune the truck until the warranty is up only because they are so expensive to fix if something breaks. H&S is the best tuner in my opinion just due to the versatility over all the other ones, plus it's one of the only ones that lets you run the truck stock with emissions removed, change tunes on the fly and monitor so much at the same time. Let us know!

Quick Reply: 6.7 modification