1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Tow haul Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 09:09 AM
tjenus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Tow haul Problem

Did some searching but cant seam to find anything similar to my problem,
Truck is a 06 F350 4x4 with the 6.0 and a 5r100w trans,

All has been great, tow quite a lot with it, not huge load 6000 or under most of the time, truck is all stock, except a exhaust and cold air intake, SCT programmer on the 65 horse tow setting,

Ran this set up for over a year and like it know problems, then one day I was coming down a hill, NO trailer on, hit the tow haul button as I always do on this hill so I don't drag my brakes and the light started flashing, Got the P0751, SSPCA solenoid stuck off, I tested solenoid and was at the bottom edge of the specs so I throw another one in there to be safe, also the fluid in pan was spotless, I drain the pan every other oil change, this thing is clean, Went on a test drive and same problem, the trans shifts perfect in all gears forward and revers, perfect every time, until I hit the tow haul button,
the other weird thing is I don't have my compression breaking until after the light starts flashing, also weird,
If I manually pull it out of OD into 3rd, Light starts flashing, even on level ground, also noticed it doesn't drop down a gear when I hit the button anymore, it would always drop down a bit and hold a gear longer, it wont do that any more, Inspected the harness and cant see anything, I did chand the VSS in the rear diff a few weeks earlier, because my ABS light came on, but just at a loss as what it could be, any tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks KH

Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Reflash to the stock tune then retest to rule out a software issue.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM
tjenus
New User
Sorry forgot to add that, Did go back to the stock tune, Still the same, Thanks KH

Old 05-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tjenus
Truck is a 06 F350 4x4 with the 6.0 and a 5r100w trans,
A minor correction, it's a 5R110W trans.

Got the P0751, SSPCA solenoid stuck off,
My list shows that this code is SSA, not SSPCA. Those are two different solenoids. Which one did you replace?

I tested solenoid and was at the bottom edge of the specs
Did you test it by applying 12 volts across the two pins to see if the solenoid actuated or is stuck? Just testing resistance won't tell you anything in this case, the code isn't for an open circuit, it is for the armature in the solenoid being stuck.
[/QUOTE]

Old 05-10-2016, 04:27 PM
tjenus
New User
Sorry you are right, 5R110W,
It was the coast clutch solenoid, Drivers side front solenoid, I used my power probe and it was actuating good, even compared it to the new one and was the same,

any advice is highly appreciated,

thanks KH

Old 05-11-2016, 07:41 PM
tjenus
New User
Well today something new happened. Was getting on the onramp and not sure what gear but seems like it was 3rd to 4th when it just free spun like it was in neutral. Let off and it stade in free spin for a few seconds. Then shifted in gear. Tow haul light started to flash and same code came up P0751. Thanks KH

Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

That code indicates a stuck SSA. You may have a lot of contamination in the trans causing the solenoid to stick.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 PM
tjenus
New User
SSA is the coast clutch correct?
Transmisson is spotless. Nothing in pan at all. Im puzzled. Does the SSA get used in any forward gears? Thanks KH

Old 05-11-2016, 09:34 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Coast clutch is only used power off. If you're pressing the go pedal the coast clutch isn't doing anything.

That code shouldn't be able to cause the symptoms you're seeing. It has nothing to do with the 3-4 shift.

Puzzling....

Old 05-17-2016, 01:26 PM
tjenus
New User
Well whatever was wrong finally went all wrong, going up a hill trans went into free spin and have no forward or revers, Only code that came up this time is a P0730, Incorrect gear ratio, Got it home and on the hoist and the pressure test is way out of spec when in any gear, Revers bounces back and forth from 0 to 400, then settles out at 400, the others are 377 or higher and have a lot of pulsation in them, going to do some more checking tonight, Might try and shoot a Vid of the pressure gage tonight also, Thanks KH

Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 AM
auction257
New User
Tow haul

Mine has had a similar issue. I have a 2006 350 SRW 6.0 and tow haul would flash when first leaving in the mornings, turn engine off and back on and it would go off. Codes were P1780, P0751, and P2700. Ran fine, then a couple of weeks later while going appx 45 mph truck acted like in neutral. Coasted to a stop and would not go in any gear, would only act as if neutral. Had towed into ford shop and now they say new transmission. They haven't tore into it yet, and I keep hoping it's something else.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:05 AM
tjenus
New User
Found it

Well Got the trans apart and found the problem, Hub was broken it 2 pieces, Honestly if I wouldn't of messed up my pump hub taking it apart, I would just replace the hub and clutches on that component and put it back together, but I chipped the hub by accident, but I really wanted to verified the problem before sticking a new trans in, would hate to brake another one, Everything els looks good and measures out, Thanks For the Help guys,

Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's bizarre.
Any idea if the first, tow/haul issue is directly related to the broken hub?
Cudo's for diggin in.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM
tjenus
New User
Yes it was, As soon as it cracked was why I got the first code P0751, it would not let it build pressure for the coast clutch, then of course it was only a matter of time before it failed 100% the second code is what gets set for the incorrect gear ratio after it slits apart, I guess its a very common problem, most weld them up. also the pins on some of the planetary gears also, I have to say it honestly is not that bad to pull down, If I had access to a few tools like the seal instillers and a couple other specialty tools I would tackle it myself, Thanks KH

Old 06-14-2016, 08:16 AM
tjenus
New User

Well got my new trans from TransAxle, Have to say I'm pretty happy with it, F550 internals ,new converter, all new Ford electronics, it was dyno checked and ready to install, it even came with the extra quarts of oil that I needed, Thanks KH

Quick Reply: Weird Tow haul Problem