Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Headlights upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Headlights upgrade

I'm beginning to want better lighting at night as my headlights are original...OEM. My truck is a 2003 F250. The lenses are clear, no fogging or discoloration, but they just seem dim.

I was considering a complete swap with some headlights I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331255641952?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Not sure if any of you have bought these or similar ones, and how happy were you? I can't imagine swapping them out would be too difficult, but some of the search results I read where someone had to cut out or alter some of the truck housing, which I'm not interested in doing.

I'm also not that interested in the "bling" these somewhat give compared to OEM that I have now. Will these give me that much better lighting? I also don't want to blind oncoming traffic either.

Other that those on eBay, I was contemplating on just switching out the bulbs to Sylvania SilverStar Ultra 9007. Wondering if I would just be as happy with the bulb swap compared to the entire housing swap? Is there really a big difference in the two options?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 AM
OnlySS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2002 F250, and changed out my headlights to the 05 clear light housings with H13 bulbs and yes there was cutting involved to get them to fit. I also went with 6k HID lights with relay setup. I was using the Silverstars H13 and in my opinion they were garbage. Once I went with the 6K it was 100x better, i'm running a 4" lift so i adjusted the lights so it doesn't blind any oncoming traffic or the person in front of me through their rear view.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Get a upgraded headlight harness, like this

http://www.dfuserpower.com/catalog/harness.php

Through some XtraVision bulbs in...enjoy.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Am still running the original headlights as they are among the best that I have come across.

Perhaps yours are just getting dirty from the inside? Prior to going to expense and time of swapping the headlight assembly, try cleaning the lenses first. And Yes, this is possible by cutting a wire coat hanger, wrapping / taping paper towels around it (partially to protect the lens from the wire and partially to clean the lens), douse the towels with window cleaner, and swab the innards. Did this in my gasser when it was about 15 years old and got an instant and noticeable increase in light output.

If that does not get it, perhaps it is the bulb. My favorite remains Sylvania (the bright ones).

Also, there is a mod to also turn on the driving lights with the high beams.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Dan V

So you're saying I have to install an upgraded harness and I can't just swap out the bulbs to the 9007? Or will the upgraded harness just make the 9007 bulbs brighter?

Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tact
So you're saying I have to install an upgraded harness and I can't just swap out the bulbs to the 9007? Or will the upgraded harness just make the 9007 bulbs brighter?
The factory wiring causes a voltage drop, that in turn diminishes the lumens of the bulb. The upgraded harness allows full voltage to reach the bulbs.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Tact
More Turbo
The factory wiring causes a voltage drop, that in turn diminishes the lumens of the bulb. The upgraded harness allows full voltage to reach the bulbs.
Got it!

That's if I just swap out the bulbs and not the LED projection headlights(as in the eBay headlights above)......correct?

If I chose the eBay units, would I also have to upgrade the wiring harness as well?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Gatordog
Senior User
If you change your headlamps out, I would like to buy the Factory ones. The previous owner installed projector lamps and I don't like the look

Old 04-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tact
Got it!

That's if I just swap out the bulbs and not the LED projection headlights(as in the eBay headlights above)......correct?

If I chose the eBay units, would I also have to upgrade the wiring harness as well?
Having minimal voltage drop has to be a benefit no matter what you put in. HID's are another story I suppose.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Tact
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Gatordog
If you change your headlamps out, I would like to buy the Factory ones. The previous owner installed projector lamps and I don't like the look
That is my fear.....I won't like the look.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Hwood121
New User

X2 I had planned upgrading my headlights on my 03 to get more light also. After installing the upgraded harness, my Silverstar Ultras are more than bright enough!

Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 PM
MPannell
Junior User
I tried some aftermarket headlights for awhile... The lenses yellowed within a year.. So I went back to my 2001 OE ones and some Xtravision bulbs... They do a good job..

Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Thanks for all the information, guys.

I think I'm going to stay with my OE housing and buy the upgrade harness. Now my dilemma is which bulbs to buy? Some of you chose Phillips, some chose Sylvania. I don't want a spot light effect and I want something that will be an obvious improvement from what I have now, but I also don't want to have to change them out every year.

Is there some type of comparison chart out there where I can see the difference in the various bulbs?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Tact
More Turbo
I've been looking at the Phillips X-treme Vision 9007 and Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9007. They also have the 9008 H13's. What is the difference?

Quick Reply: Headlights upgrade