7.3 Powerstroke Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:25 PM
DixieMan1994
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 7.3 Powerstroke Thoughts?

How dee ladies and gents,

I am currently thinking about buying a diesel here in the near future, and I wanted to get your guys' opinions. The truck would be a daily driver, and I like being able to modify it to get some good reliable street power. I do occasionally haul with my trucks, but I never do any towing. Considering my budget and need for reliability, I am thinking that a 7.3 would fit the bill quite well. A 5 or 6 speed manual would be an additional boon. Here is what I am wondering about, what do you all think of the OBS 7.3s vs the Super Dutys? I like the more modern interior of the Super Duty as well as the better turbo and fuel systems, but the OBS body style in my opinion looks better, parts seem cheaper, and I know I would be getting forged rods (Not that I necessarily see anything wrong with PMRs on the SD, I just like the peace of mind that comes with the forged rods). I should also mention that I would definitely be looking for a solid axle front end as well, I had a 95 F150 with the TTB and hated that front end and the same goes for the torsion bar IFS on my 06 Silverado that I currently drive. As far as ease of modification (on either truck, turbo, intake, exhaust, 90hp tune or something of the like, a lift, and maybe a few other mods) and power potential, plus overall reliability, what do you guys think would be the way to go?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DixieMan1994
As far as ease of modification (on either truck, turbo, intake, exhaust, 90hp tune or something of the like, a lift, and maybe a few other mods) and power potential, plus overall reliability, what do you guys think would be the way to go?

SD guys will say SD, obs guys will say OBS...

that being said I am obs guy....I like the style....

Things to think about - vent windows make obs easier to steal...
You can upgrade the obs to Efuel to match the SD.
You can have the injectors rebuilt and the turbo changed for that more power that almost everyone wants...

Old 04-22-2016, 03:43 PM
DixieMan1994
New User
Originally Posted by lee00
SD guys will say SD, obs guys will say OBS...

that being said I am obs guy....I like the style....

Things to think about - vent windows make obs easier to steal...
You can upgrade the obs to Efuel to match the SD.
You can have the injectors rebuilt and the turbo changed for that more power that almost everyone wants...
Interesting point on the vent windows, would not have thought of that. As far as swapping a turbo is it reasonably easy to put together a SD turbo setup on an OBS truck? If nothing else definitely would do an intercooler on the OBS (probably with the Banks kit). How far as far as performance can you get with the OBS mechanical pump?

Old 04-22-2016, 03:47 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DixieMan1994
Interesting point on the vent windows, would not have thought of that. As far as swapping a turbo is it reasonably easy to put together a SD turbo setup on an OBS truck? If nothing else definitely would do an intercooler on the OBS (probably with the Banks kit). How far as far as performance can you get with the OBS mechanical pump?
Your best bet is to talk to the guys in both the 94-97 diesel forum and the 99-03 diesel forum....both way more knowledgeable than me....

Turbo changes are generally swapping mounts and going to a 3xx or 4xx...most don't put a sd on a obs.... a lot of people have but sd intercoolers on the obs...there is a mishimoto one that's pricey too.. an upgrade trans cooler on an automatic is almost mandatory...(again the 6.0 trans cooler is recommended)

Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 PM
DixieMan1994
New User
Originally Posted by lee00
Your best bet is to talk to the guys in both the 94-97 diesel forum and the 99-03 diesel forum....both way more knowledgeable than me....

Turbo changes are generally swapping mounts and going to a 3xx or 4xx...most don't put a sd on a obs.... a lot of people have but sd intercoolers on the obs...there is a mishimoto one that's pricey too.. an upgrade trans cooler on an automatic is almost mandatory...(again the 6.0 trans cooler is recommended)
How good is the stock turbo on the OBS trucks? I have heard it is a bit small, but I dunno for sure. Obviously I am quite the newbie here

Old 04-23-2016, 05:43 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,150 Likes on 2,198 Posts
my suggestion is to go for a drive in each truck. i prefer the ride of the superduty. much better than the 97 and older trucks.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:51 AM
Jordanangel
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been in both and own a OBS because of the style and they are cheaper to find around my area. the SD does have some great things better like factory intercooler, e-fuel, better turbo and larger injector from the get go BUT all of that stuff can be done to a OBS with a good amount of work if your willing to spend the time and money.

Honestly if I had to it over again the only thing I'd probably change is spending the money to get a newer cleaner OBS, not saying mine isn't solid but the OBS do have age against them sometimes. it honestly comes down to how your willing to spend and condition your looking for, can find clean low mileage, beat to he!! and back or even in between on ether truck. if you got tools and are willing to do stuff to your truck (with the help of guys in the 94.5-97 section) you can make an OBS just as good if not better then an SD. One thing you will never change, the OBS will always look better the SD

Old 04-25-2016, 06:51 PM
MPannell
Junior User
I have a Superduty!! Love the truck,, with that being said there are some things that are drag.. The front Unit bearings are a terrible design and are pricey. The Timkin units are by far the best... Using RiffRaff's grease port to grease them extends the life greatly.. I have had the cheap unit bearing Seize up on me!!! Literally locked up!! Spend the money on good ones and keep the greased up!!
The OBS has TTB axle that can be a bear on tires and alignment issues..
The plus side of the OBS inVa is that it doesn't have to be smogged��

Old 06-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Ford Big Rig
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SD: do ride better, faster off the start, but
OBS: NO DPF, more reliable, parts are cheep