1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

98 E350, cruise problem, works briefly n shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:29 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
If the PO added an auxiliary load yes indeed that could be at the root of all this.

Following your schematic should show nothing but VSC on the appropriate fuse. My printed EVTM for 1998 E-Series shows only two fuses for VSC located in the Central Junction Box (inside fuses): #6 @ 10 amp & #11 @ 15 amp.

You might be onto something here Hans.

BTW Jim's link does find the exact same schematic as is part of the printed and CD-ROM EVTM's---great find!

Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clue about the "click from a relay in the dash" made me think about the "clock spring" in the steering wheel. The serial data is constantly being checked for new switch presses. If one connection in this matrix is flakey, it could be perceived as a fault and the CC operation would be canceled for safety reasons. Every little movement of the steering wheel effects this clock spring.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:24 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by hansachter
JWA and jimandnena, thanks for the input!
I had the EVTM for my previous 86 E350, maybe I'll go that route because I will probably have this van a while.
jimandnena, I did find the diagram on that web site, I clicked on the Wire Diagrams button, then selected Engine for system and under subsystems it showed Speed Control! That's what I need right now, thank you.
I also had the thought for a circuit breaker and saw the there was an aluminum colored oval can right there on the fuse panel, a 20A self-resetting. The PO had stuck a tap under one leg of it to run some lights. Pulled that out and fixed the contacts and got a new one. That was just before the last trial where the speed control worked for 10 seconds or so, and that was a lot longer than it has lately. So maybe that is on the right track. Maybe something drawing heavy than normal on that breaker already and the cruise servo pushes it over 20A? As good a guess as any, I'll go figure out what else is on that breaker.
Engine system, who'da thought!? haha I think you are on the trail now. ALWAYS tough when a previous owner "improves" the electrical system, ya noe? Good luck. jim

Old 05-06-2016, 06:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay
The clue about the "click from a relay in the dash" made me think about the "clock spring" in the steering wheel. The serial data is constantly being checked for new switch presses. If one connection in this matrix is flakey, it could be perceived as a fault and the CC operation would be canceled for safety reasons. Every little movement of the steering wheel effects this clock spring.
That true for the most part Jeffrey however if the clockspring is at fault VSC wouldn't engage, horn might not work and more importantly the SRS dash warning light should be illuminated showing a fault.

The '98 E-Series are a bit less complex than latter day versions with respect to the diagnostic systems.

Good points though!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:07 PM
hansachter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOLVED!

Had some time today and hit it again with my trusty wire diagram. Started with the interior brake switch and found two wires kludged on, wrapped around a cut in the insulation, I suppose taking power from there. (supposed to be a photo attached) Unwrapped them and took it for a spin and no cruise at all.
Came back and had no power on the system, figured out when I put #6 fuse back in it messed up one of the terminals and was getting no power. Fixed the terminal, went back out and cruise came on and HELD!!!
Works perfectly now. Many thanks to everyone who answered, especially JWA for your copious knowledge of econoline cruise controls, and jimandnena for the wire diagram link! So happy to have cruise again!
-Hans
p.s. it appears that if the part number is an exact match, cruise solenoids are interchangeable...

Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2016, 07:13 PM
hansachter
New User
By the way those two wires go upward where I can't see. If I get the cluster out sometime I will see where they go. Probably something with that stupid alarm/remote start.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
YaY! Love it when a plan comes together, Hans! Doin' my happy dance (and no I won't post photos, too scary to see! haha)

Thank you for staying with it AND for posting the happy ending.
jim

Old 05-12-2016, 05:59 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by hansachter

Works perfectly now. Many thanks to everyone who answered, especially JWA for your copious knowledge of econoline cruise controls, and jimandnena for the wire diagram link! So happy to have cruise again!
-Hans

p.s. it appears that if the part number is an exact match, cruise solenoids are interchangeable...
As Jim says we're glad to help as we can, definitely great when a follow up is posted too.

The solenoids are indeed interchangeable from vehicle BUT the part numbers need to be EXACTLY the same. Ford is great for making small wiring changes from model year to model year, one wire not in the same position rendering other modules useless.

I know somewhere someone has a chart of which part numbers would work in any one specific application. At $400 each for the "correct" module its in Ford and their suppliers to keep this info all to themselves!

BTW if you enjoy Jim's contributions helpful send the man some reps!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWA
As Jim says we're glad to help as we can, definitely great when a follow up is posted too.

<snip>
LOVE the follow ups! When I worked tech support on aircraft electronics, I hardly ever got a callback telling me what fixed the problem.

Thanks for the reps recommendation JW, much appreciated but I'm really only here for the free coffee and donuts! hahaha
jim

Old 05-12-2016, 01:38 PM
hansachter
New User
I don't know what this means, sorry...

Originally Posted by JWA