1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 08:06 PM
vanston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control?

Just bought a '98 f150 xlt, and the cruise doesn't work. Also, there is only one horn. I'm wondering if being on the same circuit, that this could be the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, A Newby

Old 02-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
cruise control?

Please Explain <> Doesn't work.

Examples of when .....

It used to be ,One of the most usual problems is the brake plunger switch.

Now,I don't know if Ford still uses this system or not.

Wait for Stever83 to show up here ,he should know.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:30 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cruise control?

First off....welcome to FTE
And we were all newbies at one time so feel free to ask questions and leave answers here.

Both horns are on the same circuit so if one works the circuit should be good. The second horn is probably shot. The speed control uses 3 fuses so make sure you check all the fuses in the truck. Do the speedo and brakelights work ok? They have to work or the speed control wont.
I've seen the deactivator switch on the master cylinder go bad which causes the speed control to not work. It is a small round switch on the front of the brake master cylinder. It is basically a backup safety device in case the brake pedal switch doesnt work. If you take an ohmmeter and check the switch is should be normally closed. Another way to check it would be to jump it with a piece of wire and see if the speed control works. If it does you need to replace the switch. Dont leave it jumped as it's a safety thing. Other than that you could have a problem with the switches on the steering wheel, a bad clock spring in behind the steering wheel, a wiring problem or the speed control servo could be dead. Check the basics first and then post what you find. If you need more info after that hopefully we can help.

Old 02-28-2003, 11:53 PM
vanston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking cruise control?

Thanks racerguy, I checked power to the on switch at the column, 11.7 depressed. I began looking at wiring and found that the previous owner has spliced into several wires coming out of the column. Maybe alarm or remote start? as all are now pigtails. I also ordered the '98 ford cd on e-bay for a schematic. I'll try your ideas first until I get the cd. I have many questions, and from your reply, I'm sure I found the right place! Thanks, in advance, Keith

Old 03-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cruise control?

The shop manual on cd or dvd is a great tool.
Let us know what you find