1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Possible rookie mistake, want verification

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:26 PM
mos68x
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible rookie mistake, want verification

Hey guys, I got done replacing the rear main oil seal on the engine, front main seal on the transmission, torque converter, and the rod bearings. However, in the midst of pulling the engine and trans out my brother broke my speedo gear. I've been keeping track of my MPG other info so I know that the original 19T long shaft speedo gear was 11.9% faster than I was really going. This was reading from my GPS speedo on my phone and from the beginning of Feb until now, so it is fairly accurate. Knowing this info I did a quick calculation to find my new speedo gear count to make it read as close as possible. After quite a bit of searching and then ordering and waiting for the part to arrive....I think I ordered the wrong tooth count. I ordered a 17T gear when I'm 99% sure I should've ordered a 21T gear instead. In order to get the speedo shaft to spin slower I should've gotten a larger tooth count, not smaller. I dunno what I was thinking.

Can anyone else verify this?

Fortunately I haven't opened the bag that the part is in so I can return it, I just want to be sure before I make another mistake.

Thanks guys

Old 04-17-2016, 02:57 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mos68x
Hey guys, I got done replacing the rear main oil seal on the engine, front main seal on the transmission, torque converter, and the rod bearings. However, in the midst of pulling the engine and trans out my brother broke my speedo gear. I've been keeping track of my MPG other info so I know that the original 19T long shaft speedo gear was 11.9% faster than I was really going. This was reading from my GPS speedo on my phone and from the beginning of Feb until now, so it is fairly accurate. Knowing this info I did a quick calculation to find my new speedo gear count to make it read as close as possible. After quite a bit of searching and then ordering and waiting for the part to arrive....I think I ordered the wrong tooth count. I ordered a 17T gear when I'm 99% sure I should've ordered a 21T gear instead. In order to get the speedo shaft to spin slower I should've gotten a larger tooth count, not smaller. I dunno what I was thinking.

Can anyone else verify this?

Fortunately I haven't opened the bag that the part is in so I can return it, I just want to be sure before I make another mistake.

Thanks guys
Hi mos, I found a Ford listing of speedo gears here:
Speedometer Gear Calculator and Charts - TCI® Auto

I do think you want more teeth. jim

Old 04-17-2016, 01:49 PM
mos68x
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimandnena
Hi mos, I found a Ford listing of speedo gears here:
Speedometer Gear Calculator and Charts - TCI® Auto

I do think you want more teeth. jim
I thought so too. I did see that calculator while trying to find new speedo gears, but I have no idea how many teeth are on the output shaft, nor what my diff ratio currently is.

I did end up calling American Muscle yesterday, the company I originally bought the new gear from. Since they were open I just asked them and had them send me a 21T gear instead.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Random curiosity causes some of us to open this type of thread, but the real gurus on here might never bother to read this thread, because the title is so vague.

Hopefully one of the experts will find the title appealing enough.

Good luck on your project.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:45 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by tx2sturgis
Random curiosity causes some of us to open this type of thread, but the real gurus on here might never bother to read this thread, because the title is so vague.

Hopefully one of the experts will find the title appealing enough.

Good luck on your project.
That's the benefit to not being an expert, tx2sturgis. Being much closer to the rookie end of the scale makes me curious and more likely to have rookie help than expert help.
jim

Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up narrow the results

That's the benefit to not being an expert, tx2sturgis. Being much closer to the rookie end of the scale makes me curious and more likely to have rookie help than expert help.
jim
True, but I would have titled it this way:

'Speedometer drive: a question' or something similar.

Very focused and on-topic.

It gets results.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
True, but I would have titled it this way:

'Speedometer drive: a question' or something similar.

Very focused and on-topic.

It gets results.

Absolutely agree; a mention of year and model often helps as well.

In my spare time, I post on a sewing machine forum helping folks with machine issues. Most of the subject lines are something like, "Need help now, have to finish an order today" so I am kinda used to minimal hints.

It is what it is, I suppose.
jim

Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up needle in a haystack

... I post on a sewing machine forum helping folks with machine issues.
jim
Now thats an interesting sideline here and at the risk of a severe thread detour, are we talking small consumer machines or the big hefty commercial units?

Or something in-between like the ones we see at the biker rallys, where they spend 18 hours a day using an old foot operated unit to sew patches on thick leather vests?

I know nothing about them, but many of the leather craftsmen I have known swear by those old treadle machines....

Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Now thats an interesting sideline here and at the risk of a severe thread detour, are we talking small consumer machines or the big hefty commercial units?

Or something in-between like the ones we see at the biker rallys, where they spend 18 hours a day using an old foot operated unit to sew patches on thick leather vests?

I know nothing about them, but many of the leather craftsmen I have known swear by those old treadle machines....

Haha, I think we have the original poster's problem in hand, a little detour won't hurt. The advantage to the treadles is NO 'LECTRICITY required. Plus they sew as slow as you want so plenty of time to readjust.

I deal with the home use machines, some are a sideline business but still are just home hobby sewing types. Mostly Singer embroidery machines because Singer doesn't make Singer quality machines anymore so learning users are having fits with them. I bought one for the wife but since it is computer controlled, I ended up doing all the set up. Started helping on the group where I got help, that was 12 years ago, still at it.

And the beat goes on ...
jim

Old 04-19-2016, 12:43 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Question food for thought...

....but since it is computer controlled, I ended up doing all the set up.
jim
Its amazing now, and I bet it has wifi and bluetooth for online updates?

I was in Lowe's the other day and wandering around the appliance section, I saw an internet connected 'device'...for $5999...it was a refrigerator!

Oh they didnt call it that, it was an 'Internet Connected Family Hub'...and on the door was a large touch screen with internet.

Want a cold soda or glass of milk? Well...there's an app for that...

Geeze.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:45 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its amazing now, and I bet it has wifi and bluetooth for online updates?

I was in Lowe's the other day and wandering around the appliance section, I saw an internet connected 'device'...for $5999...it was a refrigerator!

Oh they didnt call it that, it was an 'Internet Connected Family Hub'...and on the door was a large touch screen with internet.

Want a cold soda or glass of milk? Well...there's an app for that...

Geeze.
My frig talks to me...

Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM
tx2sturgis
Elder User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by vettex2
My frig talks to me...
For 6 thousand dollars that fridge better skip the talk and do something else!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:11 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
If I need a TV and fridge, I'm going with this:
https://www.kincrome.com.au/ultima-combo-tv-fridge-53
jim

Old 04-20-2016, 05:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,111 Posts
Absolutely agree; a mention of year and model often helps as well.
Man I beat that dead horse repeatedly-----seems we're supposed to divine or mind-read what we're working on.

In my spare time, I post on a sewing machine forum helping folks with machine issues.
Being a kid of the 50's I've looked inside many a Singer treadle-powered sewing machine----was amazed how much like machine lathes they resembled. Having an appreciation for great machinery I'm not a bit surprised to have learned Singer played a part in weapons manufacture during WWII.

For 6 thousand dollars that fridge better skip the talk and do something else!

Being cynical and skeptical every time I see a common house hold appliance that's now internet dependent or enabled I sense another revenue stream for the manufacturer. Most certainly after you've entered all your contact information the BS SPAM calls and emails start about service calls for a fee, warnings something is about to explode and endanger users----it doesn't stop does it?

And then we hear almost constantly how peoples lives are upended because a hacker or identity thief has gained access through one of their unsecured devices. Just what I want----a 'fridge that spies on me!

Slightly back to the drifted topic its tough to help those who don't put a bit of effort into their opening posts or requests--some days I just move to another topic where I don't have to work so hard to help out.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 AM
tx2sturgis
Elder User

Quick Reply: Possible rookie mistake, want verification