6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Engine replaced - keep or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:57 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine replaced - keep or no?

In case you haven't read my other thread, Evelyn's engine grenaded itself and is in the process of being replaced. She's at 89K miles, and while the engine is covered under the 100K Ford warranty, it goes away shortly. So does my Geico coverage - it ends at 100K too.

Now I know that can be the magic number for some - woo-hoo, I can delete and tune!! But I'm not a *fiddling* type of gal - I keep things stock, I let the dealership handle the maintenance stuff, and that number actually kinda scares me. Feel a little naked and afraid without a warranty.

So for discussion's sake, what are my options? What are the pros and cons of keeping her, with a brand spanking new engine and some warranty coverage, vs. trading for a new one? And which model?

I'll be honest, I was REALLY looking forward to having her paid off. I'm almost there, and that's a huge check mark in the pro column. But honestly, that's about the only one I see right now. Meanwhile, my con list is a bit longer, with the warranty issue at the top of that list.

So can y'all help me? Is there an extended warranty option out there I don't know about, that will cover her until the day she (or I) dies? Is she going to be a better truck now with a new engine?

What would you do if you were in my situation?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
You can read my posts in the other threads...It's time for Evelyn 2.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
LOL! I already figure the name would be Evelyn 2.0 - especially if get the exact same truck.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
New engine with 3-year, unlimited mileage warranty paid for by someone else.

If you've got the new truck bug I'm not trying to dissuade you. But from a financial perspective you'll be thousands ahead keeping this one for another couple of years. The valve problem that was looming over your head is no more...had it not blown up THAT would have been enough of a reason for me to trade the truck in your shoes.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be inclined to make them give you an 8year 125k warranty to cover anything they tweeked while installing the new engine. Try to have them pay for it first but if they won't budge pay for it yourself. That'll get you another 2 years for $2000ish. Much cheaper than payments. Plus it will put you into the 2nd or 3rd year of the new model so it will have most of the bugs worked out.

The only reason the buy now would be if you wanted to stay with the current truck style.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't keep it?

Warranties that come with a monthly payment attached are a drain on your financial resources.

Keep the truck, pay it off and keep making the payments to your self for your own warranty or new vehicle down the road.

Having a new truck is always fun, but it's really the same as watching money burn if your are making payments all the time.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Good point - keeping it will definitely save me money. And no, I don't particularly have the new truck bug (although who doesn't like an excuse to but something new?), and I'm really not interested at this point in the 2017.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:25 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
You have had probably the most expensive mechanical breakdown . Fuel system is the only thing left that is super expensive and not much trouble reported with that if you pay attention to fuel quality and maintenance. With that I think I would wait until after the new model comes out at least. I have the valve thing hanging over my head but since I still have 2 years and 35,000 miles of warranty left I will wait. If I don't have engine trouble by then I will probably get a new truck.
I really don't like thinking the truck might fail me but a new one could also. In your case I would hang on to it for a while. It's a lot cheaper than a new truck. Good luck
Ron

Old 04-05-2016, 11:38 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
90k miles in 5 years? Do you drive the truck exclusively?

I say keep it.

When my 2011 blew up I was NOT successful obtaining more warranty for the replacement engine. The ford diesel care policy I had covered me to 200k miles and when it was all done we estimated $36,000 in benefits (engine, radiators, 2 turbos, complete exhaust system). The turbo issue was because the new engine was a 2012 with the weak turbo bearings or whatever.

The 2011 I had is now over 300k on the odometer and it still has no issues whatsoever. The hardware store bought it, my wife works there and sees it every day. They love it and can't wait to buy my current truck when I'm done with it.

Good luck, take your time deciding. If they skimp on replacing anything it might push you one way or another.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
I honestly don't understand why you wouldn't keep it?

Warranties that come with a monthly payment attached are a drain on your financial resources.

Keep the truck, pay it off and keep making the payments to your self for your own warranty or new vehicle down the road.

Having a new truck is always fun, but it's really the same as watching money burn if your are making payments all the time.

That is what I would do. Start that cookie jar and keep throwing money it for a repair and new truck, which ever comes first.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ruschejj
90k miles in 5 years? Do you drive the truck exclusively?
Yes, it's my only vehicle. That and my husband's truck - but his is an F150, so guess which one goes more?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Numbers

You got to put numbers on the paper. How much extra Money do you have? Can you get them to replace the HPFS at the same time? If you keep the truck that would put you money ahead. I would mostly like keep the truck. You will be money ahead in no time. But saying that I have done the opposite.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Are y'all worried about the aluminum body in the 2017? How's it working out for the F150's? I had a conversation not too long ago with someone that said they are having a hard time getting replacement metal for ones that are wrecked - is that true?

Ah, crap, do I need to start another thread? LOL!

Old 04-05-2016, 12:21 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,069 Likes on 2,217 Posts
New truck smell...just saying.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:30 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
The new 150's are fine. I have absolutely no worries about the 2017 SD's and will have one within the next year... Oh, and that's my vote too...

Quick Reply: Engine replaced - keep or no?