2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

We Own Work: My 2017 Super Duty Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I like electric sliding rear window - however - even better is the Toyota method of being able to roll the entire back window down.

Granted, up in the land of the cold, I don't use the back windows nearly as much as I did in the land of the heat and humidity.

Thanks for the updates UGA33 as well.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dakster
I like electric sliding rear window - however - even better is the Toyota method of being able to roll the entire back window down.

Granted, up in the land of the cold, I don't use the back windows nearly as much as I did in the land of the heat and humidity.

Thanks for the updates UGA33 as well.
For those who have ever ridden in a Toyota or maybe know someone who has one....does that vertical up and down whole window pull fumes in when it's halfway or all the way down?? I've seen this a few times on the road and always thought it would re-circulate like leaving a light item in the front of the bed....never blows out. Just curious on the amount of wind pulled back into the truck.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And the next experience is: Why is there not a lamp or indicator "Tailgate is Down." I used to have a tool box which blocked the view of the tailgate and now I use a tonneau cover. I, in my old age, have taken off and left the tailgate down numerous times. Even a backup camera doesn't help if you drive off forwards. With all the electronics a simple door switch or microswitch or mercury switch could easily indicate to the driver that he forgot to close it. And for the times you want it down a simple override could be installed which would reset after each stop.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll know the tailgate is down because you'll see pavement in your reverse cam. 😀

Old 05-17-2016, 06:40 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by EightySecond
You'll know the tailgate is down because you'll see pavement in your reverse cam. 😀
And your back up sensors will be going crazy. Love that.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:29 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Kenv, my truck has a slide down window that covers a good 1/3 of the back. The only time I smell exhaust is when I back out of the garage with that window down. I drive with the rear window down a lot, especially after eating at Taco Bell. Different exhaust gasses in that situation.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
And your back up sensors will be going crazy. Love that.
But that is only if you back up before you leave. I often back up to the shop to unload or load or just because I can. When I come from the house I cannot see the back of the truck and am too forgetful to walk around. Truck never sees reverse so neither of those functions will work (once I get a truck with them onboard). The truck will scream at me if my idiot passenger won't fasten his seat belt but doesn't say a word if my tasty bag of Honey Crisp Apples becomes road apples.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenv
For those who have ever ridden in a Toyota or maybe know someone who has one....does that vertical up and down whole window pull fumes in when it's halfway or all the way down?? I've seen this a few times on the road and always thought it would re-circulate like leaving a light item in the front of the bed....never blows out. Just curious on the amount of wind pulled back into the truck.
It needs to either be all up or down and not in between when moving. It does that wind baffling thing and sometime it even causes that back glass to shatter. Probably the reason Ford won't do that.

I don't remember smelling exhaust coming in. My most common use case was this - it's South Florida, summer, the inside of the truck is 165F - 200F (I put a thermometer in it). I would like to not burn all the skin off my body or go into heat stroke, so I remote start, roll all windows down, including that back window. Open up the sunroof. AC is on bring in fresh air and set to MAX AC. I drive off - after the first few blocks in my neighborhood (30 mph speed limit) - I start rolling windows up, close sunroof, turn AC back to recirc. Nice cool truck in a few minutes. It was too loud to have it down at highway speeds and I am not a wind in your face kinda person.... HOWEVER, I did put some long pieces of lumber in through it, although the trip from Home Depot to the house was all residential streets.

--

Been there down that with the tailgate down and have had the thing open up while driving because the idiot (me), didn't shut it correctly or check to make sure it was and locked.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:30 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Lincoln has a feature (last one had it too) that if you hold the unlock button on the remote for 3 seconds all the windows go down and the sunroof opens. Fast way to exhaust the summer heat without having to climb in and bake. Pretty cool, or at least not 200 degrees on entering.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 540 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Lincoln has a feature (last one had it too) that if you hold the unlock button on the remote for 3 seconds all the windows go down and the sunroof opens. Fast way to exhaust the summer heat without having to climb in and bake. Pretty cool, or at least not 200 degrees on entering.
Current Super Duty can open both front windows automatically using the method you describe.

Mercedes had this feature over 20 years ago.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
Current Super Duty can open both front windows automatically using the method you describe.

I will look forward to this. US auto industry has spent a lot of years catching up.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman

It drives me crazy that I can open my windows by holding down the unlock button but I can't close all the windows by holding down the lock button. I'm sure it's a safety issue but dang, sure would be nice.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:53 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ruschejj
It drives me crazy that I can open my windows by holding down the unlock button but I can't close all the windows by holding down the lock button. I'm sure it's a safety issue but dang, sure would be nice.
Drives me crazy I cannot close windows without having my key and the vehicle turned on. Correct about safety issue but an aggravation when the rain storm pops up.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:04 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 540 Likes on 264 Posts
Our last Mercedes (a 2002 E320 4matic - so 14 years ago!) could lower all the windows with the remote, and close all the windows and sunroof with the remote.

VW's have ways to do it as well, just like Audi and BMW. I believe our current Lincoln can do this. It just means Ford is not putting the programming into the Super Dutys.

I think certain Mercedes can use the rain sensor (for the wipers) to detect rain and close your windows / sunroof / convertible top automatically, even if you are away from the car. That is genius.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
Back in the days of aftermarket alarms (before all my cars came with a factory one) one feature of the alarm I always used was window roll up/door lock. If you looked out the window and saw rain coming, just hit the right combo of buttons. That was a nice feature...

I think my current X5 can be coded to have this feature. It can be coded to do all kinds of things that aren't safe for us stupid Americans and our lawsuits...

Quick Reply: We Own Work: My 2017 Super Duty Experience